• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] Wales vs Fiji

Ok but on the Tokyo stock exchange, a win against the two-time champions of the world is worth more than a win against Scotland :D

That's one way to look at it. But then by that logic, is a loss to Scotland not worse than losing to the two time champions of the world?

Ok bud, you will buy me a thesaurus for Christmas and I will ask Hourcade if he can teach to Gatland how to beat the Wallabies :thumbup:

Look, this is it, stop with the constant irrelevant attacks that contribute nothing.

The score would have been bigger if Wales took the penaltys they were given and racked up the points slowly. If they kept the scoreboard ticking over that would have disheartened the Fijians. Instead they kept kicking for touch or tapping trying to force tries which came to nothing and let fiji off the hook

I think the whole of the welsh management need to come bk down to planet earth making changes like we are world champions or something we need to get our first team players going well first. we are nothing special haven't done ne thing special since we demolished england in Cardiff how many games that actually mean anything do we really win not many so annoying

Something seriously needs to be done about the kicking game. The players are obviously told where/how to kick, but it's not working. Kicking it down the throat of a counterattacking back three was dangerous against the Fijians, and will be downright suicidal against NZ.

Not sure how much effect having the lid on made, but the ball must have been greasy for that number of knock ons (plus I don't think the intensity of the hits by the Fijians was truly reflected on television).

Surprised by how effective the lineout has been (historically a major weakness), so that's a plus point.

Overall disappointing performance, but don't think it's possible to single out one player for blame.

Big changes need to be made before the NZ game.

That was one of the most frustrating games of rugby I have ever watched. Wales were by far the better team but just couldn't capitalize. Every time we started building/made a break, someone would drop the damn ball. Felt we played into Fiji's hands by letting the game get as loose as it did. Should have calmed things down and pinged for the corner as soon as it started getting scrappy.

If this was the world cup game, I'd be relieved at the win, but damn disappointed not to get 4 tries.

Should the two disallowed tries have been given? Couldn't really tell from the stands, and I haven't watched any highlights yet. Guy sat next to me was sure that Lydiate had grounded the ball from the maul? I was a bit baffled at the ref disallowing Faletau's one too, seemed to me like if anything it was a slight knock on, rather than Liam Williams being held?

Interesting point though, we haven't kicked a penalty in 2 games, when was the last time that happened?! I don;t think we have even elected to go for the posts at any stage this AI's either? Assuming that has something to do with Priestland being pretty terrible at it. One of many reasons I'm praying for Biggar to be fit next week...

Missed the game, and I forgot to ask, how did the Fiji Weegies get on? Matawalu, Nakarawa, and Yanuyanutawa?

Something seriously needs to be done about the kicking game. The players are obviously told where/how to kick, but it's not working. Kicking it down the throat of a counterattacking back three was dangerous against the Fijians, and will be downright suicidal against NZ.

Not sure how much effect having the lid on made, but the ball must have been greasy for that number of knock ons (plus I don't think the intensity of the hits by the Fijians was truly reflected on television).

Surprised by how effective the lineout has been (historically a major weakness), so that's a plus point.

Overall disappointing performance, but don't think it's possible to single out one player for blame.

Big changes need to be made before the NZ game.

I nearly drop kicked my tv when we conceded FOUR not straight line outs in a row! GAHHHH

Well remember Tonga beat Scotland on the tour a couple years ago, at least wales won. Tonga is another team that can beat any team when they have their best players. With fiji and France last week, fiji were right in that game until the later part of the second half. France scored a bunch a tries in a short period which blew out the score line. A lot of Frances tries were due to ratinis bad defence. He wasn't playing in this game though so that could have made a difference

ah, I see. Good ahemm...*clears throat* good points..there..

And excuse me but why THE FOK should we buy Conrad Smith a thesaurus for Easter ? The entire world doesn't work in English, now I know it's a rough one to wrap a mind around, but maybe Conrad doesn't give 3 shiits about the English language and makes enough of an effort to convey his thoughts in the said language this whole time and that's enough and we should appreciate that ? Don't take ppl's efforts for granted, and CERTAINLY don't think the entire world, everywhere, works like it does where you are.
And no I'm not "defending" him, or am not being on his side, he doesn't need me. I'm just calling this stupid, stubborn 'fish in a bowl' thinking off my own initiative.

And yes, maybe Hourcade and the Pumas could show Wales a thing or two when it comes to playing SANZAR nations, that's not a sentence too many spilled out, that's just calling for some humility and is damn true.

ah, I see. Good ahemm...*clears throat* good points..there..

And excuse me but why THE FOK should we buy Conrad Smith a thesaurus for Easter ? The entire world doesn't work in English, now I know it's a rough one to wrap a mind around, but maybe Conrad doesn't give 3 shiits about the English language and makes enough of an effort to convey his thoughts in the said language this whole time and that's enough and we should appreciate that ? Don't take ppl's efforts for granted, and CERTAINLY don't think the entire world, everywhere, works like it does where you are.
And no I'm not "defending" him, or am not being on his side, he doesn't need me. I'm just calling this stupid, stubborn 'fish in a bowl' thinking off my own initiative.

And yes, maybe Hourcade and the Pumas could show Wales a thing or two when it comes to playing SANZAR nations, that's not a sentence too many spilled out, that's just calling for some humility and is damn true.

Nobody is demanding he uses Oxbridge English, the cause of the issue was his overuse of swearing. The odd one is ok but it became too frequent for our liking. I edited out the offending word. On that note we could levy the same request at you too, this is a forum that kids can use and to see overuse of profanity can come back to bite us.

I'm not saying that any swearing is bad but theres plenty of other words that can be used instead. Oh and his English isnt that bad so I do believe he does know other words to use.

Nobody is demanding he uses Oxbridge English, the cause of the issue was his overuse of swearing. The odd one is ok but it became too frequent for our liking. I edited out the offending word. On that note we could levy the same request at you too, this is a forum that kids can use and to see overuse of profanity can come back to bite us.

I don't know what you're talking about...you're clearly looking to attack me personally now because you're completely out of please take this pet shark as a gesture in good will and let's maybe overlook some things ay
shark-emoticon-facebook.jpg

And to defend myself (as this thread is done for anyways, match is over): I'll say it's just my natural way of posting, it's the 'Big' in Big Ewis and I don't think kids would be too offended by reading words like sh*t or 'fok'. Those words just add so much flavor to certain comments, and I don't (usually) use them to assault my dear significant others on this website, so you know, like, suck it no wait I meant so you know, please tolerate my shenanigans sir. But I will definitely keep that in mind and try to tone down, I mean it.

Its not a personal attack at all. I get its your style but theres a line in what words are appropriate, just try to stay our side of it.

Matter closed.

OK, here is my take on the Fiji match.

Overall, not much more to add. It was dire, really awful. I know it seems all matches v PIs are (Samoa 2009, Fiji 2010, Samoa 2012, Tonga 2013) but that isn't an excuse, especially considering we named a stronger team than we have in the previous encounters. Simply put, it didn't look like we had a game plan. Two early tries were nice, but more luck than planning. Fiji were bad, really bad, to put it in context; Nadolo missed at least two kicks from what I saw. Sure we had some tries called back, but surely we should have been able to manage a few more? It looked at times as if we tried to out-Fiji them, going for speed and quick taps rather than strategy. We tried this in 2007 as well...

Notes on players:
Liam Williams looked good, this was his type of game. The scrappy, low-strategy stuff works for him, he loves to run it and go. For how we played, it worked, but I still prefer Halfpenny if only because he can fit in better if we try to play a more sensible game. Fair dos though, Liam looked up for it!

North and Cuthbert, poor overall, they didn't get much ball, and didn't look for it.

Scott Williams didn't look match fit; Roberts' handling was shocking.

Priestland was mixed. A few nice kicks out of hand, but we didn't look for any control from out halfbacks. Phillips was slow and again, no control.

Baldwin had an OK first half and dire second half. His throwing is reminiscent of 2010 Huw Bennett.

Davies and Charteris didn't offer much, Ball/AWJ still our first choice pairing. Charteris also proving yet again France doesn't equal form.

Back row was ineffectual. Lydiate doesn't offer anything besides a dozen completed tackles a game. Tipuric helped clean up for us a bit, but nobody seemed sure of their role. Faletau has been less effective lately. Not sure if he is an eight compared to the others around the world.

Team for NZ is tough. I'd like a different centre partnership, but I don't think Davies will be match fit. North to 13 is a risk; and would require Halfpenny to be fit and somewhere in the back three, as I wouldn't pick Amos or Prydie for this one. I'd like a different pair of halfbacks, but with injuries it is tough. Don't want Hook or Priestland there, and there is no chance he will call up Williams and make his play his first test next week. Likewise, scrum half will have to be Phillips with Webb and Davies out.

Front row I'd be tempted to go with James-Hibbard-Lee; with Paul offering more in the tight, and Hibbard still our best hooker. AWJ-Ball for second row; and I'd go with Warburton-Tipuric-Faletau in the back row. It's a gamble, but Warburton was on good form last week, and I think Tipuric will get stuck in. Would have liked to have given Baker a chance v Fiji just to see how he would do, but our issues at blindside mean it's tough to experiment. Bench of Baldwin, Jenkins, not Rhodri Jones, Charteris, Lydiate, Williams, Hook, (outside back tough, depends on 13 and 15).

I had a look at Wales' record against the PI sides at these autumn internationals (not World Cups), and over the last 10 years they've been consistently poor. Yesterday afternoon my Timehop app confirmed to me that I had been similarly frustrated with a match against Samoa five years previously. You have to go back to 2002 for the last comfortable win.

2014: 17-13 Fiji
2013: 17-7 Tonga
2012: 19-26 Samoa
2010: 16-16 Fiji
2009: 17-13 Samoa
2005: 11-10 Fiji
2003: 27-20 Tonga
2002: 58-14 Fiji
2000: 50-6 Samoa

I suggest going back to playing Canada and Japan. :p

Overall, not much more to add. It was dire, really awful. I know it seems all matches v PIs are (Samoa 2009, Fiji 2010, Samoa 2012, Tonga 2013) but that isn't an excuse, especially considering we named a stronger team than we have in the previous encounters. Simply put, it didn't look like we had a game plan. Two early tries were nice, but more luck than planning. Fiji were bad, really bad, to put it in context; Nadolo missed at least two kicks from what I saw. Sure we had some tries called back, but surely we should have been able to manage a few more? It looked at times as if we tried to out-Fiji them, going for speed and quick taps rather than strategy. We tried this in 2007 as well...

Notes on players:
Liam Williams looked good, this was his type of game. The scrappy, low-strategy stuff works for him, he loves to run it and go. For how we played, it worked, but I still prefer Halfpenny if only because he can fit in better if we try to play a more sensible game. Fair dos though, Liam looked up for it!

North and Cuthbert, poor overall, they didn't get much ball, and didn't look for it.

Priestland was mixed. A few nice kicks out of hand, but we didn't look for any control from out halfbacks. Phillips was slow and again, no control.

Baldwin had an OK first half and dire second half. His throwing is reminiscent of 2010 Huw Bennett.

Davies and Charteris didn't offer much, Ball/AWJ still our first choice pairing. Charteris also proving yet again France doesn't equal form.

Back row was ineffectual. Lydiate doesn't offer anything besides a dozen completed tackles a game. Tipuric helped clean up for us a bit, but nobody seemed sure of their role. Faletau has been less effective lately. Not sure if he is an eight compared to the others around the world.

Team for NZ is tough. I'd like a different centre partnership, but I don't think Davies will be match fit. North to 13 is a risk; and would require Halfpenny to be fit and somewhere in the back three, as I wouldn't pick Amos or Prydie for this one. I'd like a different pair of halfbacks, but with injuries it is tough. Don't want Hook or Priestland there, and there is no chance he will call up Williams and make his play his first test next week. Likewise, scrum half will have to be Phillips with Webb and Davies out.

Front row I'd be tempted to go with James-Hibbard-Lee; with Paul offering more in the tight, and Hibbard still our best hooker. AWJ-Ball for second row; and I'd go with Warburton-Tipuric-Faletau in the back row. It's a gamble, but Warburton was on good form last week, and I think Tipuric will get stuck in. Would have liked to have given Baker a chance v Fiji just to see how he would do, but our issues at blindside mean it's tough to experiment. Bench of Baldwin, Jenkins, not Rhodri Jones, Charteris, Lydiate, Williams, Hook, (outside back tough, depends on 13 and 15).

Concur with the comments about the players above.

I don't know what you're talking about...you're clearly looking to attack me personally now because you're completely out of please take this pet shark as a gesture in good will and let's maybe overlook some things ay
shark-emoticon-facebook.jpg

And to defend myself (as this thread is done for anyways, match is over): I'll say it's just my natural way of posting, it's the 'Big' in Big Ewis and I don't think kids would be too offended by reading words like sh*t or 'fok'. Those words just add so much flavor to certain comments, and I don't (usually) use them to assault my dear significant others on this website, so you know, like, suck it no wait I meant so you know, please tolerate my shenanigans sir. But I will definitely keep that in mind and try to tone down, I mean it.

Still doesn't matter if **** is there or not, it is still unacceptable. Please do not question this further. Same goes for the language thing, it is an excuse. Yes kudos to him for using English but one must realise that he cannot go round swearing as it is acceptable, it is clearly not. His use of profanity is not the thing we want to convey on this forum either. If you are unhappy with this, PM we can have a discussion about it if necessary.

Notes on players:

Agree with pretty much all of this tbh.

Wales are a top side and they will lift to play the world champions.
I expect a battle royal and the mighty Dragons will not give an inch.
The AB's better be up for this or else we will be in real trouble against a Welsh team that may not be brimming with confidence but it is brimming with genuine talent.

Notes on players:

Bang on. Been watching Faletau with interest lately and he doesn't seem anywhere near his Lions form sadly. Would be interested to see how he manages at 6 with Baker getting some much-needed game time at 8. Faletau is very solid in defence and can be a good attacker - which would possibly give any turnovers a bit more of an attacking edge compared to Lydiate.

One thing I'll say about Lydiate though is that he's done fairly well in the mauls so far, but that crawl towards the line was as silly as it gets.

Latest posts