• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Wales vs Italy (01/02/20)

Pearce hasn't been great, but Italy are still so inconsistent. Some great moments and then some absolutely shite and crap decision making. With Wales's scrum and lineout under pressure they should be doing far better and made it far too easy for Wales to keep scoring. Wales have look good, but I think Italy have made them look better too.

If that was a knock on, could of been a shout for a pen as halfpenny handles it in front of the offside line?
Italian player intentionally touched the ball but never controlled it, everyone was inside similar to a charge down.

Doesn't he usually play 12?
Aye but Pivac won't drop a kiwi when there's a welshman he can replace instead :p

I say 13 because it looks like a shoot between him and north for that shirt for this tournament

Italian player intentionally touched the ball but never controlled it, everyone was inside similar to a charge down.

Fair.

Tompkins looking good, conversely, think McNicoll has been far from solid today. Don't want to see him against Ireland as I don't think he's ready.

That was a weak obstruction call.

Wales' backline is pretty entertaining.

Aye but Pivac won't drop a kiwi when there's a welshman he can replace instead :p

I say 13 because it looks like a shoot between him and north for that shirt for this tournament

Yeah I realise what you meant, after all Wales put him at 13, I was just questioning if I had imagined him and Barrett being interchanged more often than not was all.

A better team than Italy would have beaten Wales today they have looked shaky defensively and the set pieces not up to scratch. Tompkins has looked good annoyingly being an Englishman lol. Wales have looked ok attacking wise but Italy have gifted them tries and Wales struggling for a bonus point try. Plus being helped by awful reffing.

Happy with our defense and lineout, scrum has been shaky though. Looking better with Rob Evans and Leon Brown though.

Are they allowed to call it the Guinness player of the match? I would've thought BBC rules would've prevented the explicit advertising

Frustrating rather than entertaining game, but a good win for Wales and there's some good stuff for them to be happy about - set piece will be a worry but that's as attack minded as they've looked in a decade.

Italy are ****. Few decent breaks and Polledri is a monster but there's no structure to their play and they're pretty brainless most of the time in their decision making.

Wales will be happy with 5 ,front row will need to step up next week v Irish.
Italy beyond poor with so many mistakes cant be as bad next week.
Poor game for Neutral.
Difficult to say how good Wales are this year .
Agree McNichol didn't have a great start to International career.
Tomkins looks better at 12 than Parks to play a more attacking game.
Webb looked off pace when on guess lack of game time at Toulon.
Adam's again high quality finishs helped in 2 by dire defending by Sato.

So as far as I'm concerned, it was a situation where the performance was 'just' right given the circumstances. I actually thought Italy competed well but struggled with how professional and calculated Wales were. Tompkins looked fab to be fair, Tomos also looked great and obviously Adams... who is looking like the perfect winger right now.

Italy's scrum looked good, which surprised me considering how well we've held up against premier scrummaging sides of late... though we seemed to sort it some as the changes were made. All in all, happy with the performance and as someone who has been particularly concerned over Hayward as defence coach... a donut to start is pretty phenomenal tbh.

Last edited:

Latest posts