• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] Wales vs Fiji

0 points against a side with 14 men. Embarrassing. Fiji will regret those wasted chances with penalties and that giant overlap in the first half.

On a more positive side...um....actually as Jiffy said on comms there was only one, as I said earlier Liam Williams was a our best player by a mile. I've criticised him in the past for getting too involved in off the ball stuff and his ill discipline but have to say today he was the only player that consistently worried the Fiji defense, he tackled well including a try saving tackle *cough whycouldnthedothatinthebloodysummer cough*

this is just it. No intention to 'twist the knife in the wound' (french saying) but just to make the point: Wales are just very uncomfortable playing PI sides. It's just that simple. How in the world they managed just 17 on Tonga last year and again 17 this year on FIJI, two very very mediocre teams that I repeat even a France in crisis (especially last year, dear God that match was awful offensively...) managed 40 over ?...just bizarre, bizarre..

Decent atmosphere and crowd at the game.

I was surprised at how loose Wales played throughout the game. They started well, the first try was very well executed.

Second half was crazy. It was like a training game where there was no structure in what Wales were doing. I feel following the red card, there was a little bit of a foot off the gas. But credit to Fiji they kept the pressure up and came pretty close.

Thought Wales had two scoring opportunities in the second half and that was the pushover try and the Liam Williams incident. If they were converted I do feel it may have ended differently. The ref used the TMO a lot and at the game that took a lot of the momentum out of the game.

Bizzare international game. Wales NZ will be a different beast next week.

It had better be different. We play like that next week we will take a hammering

wales always had difficulties against pi's nations.
fiji coul win today even with the red card, they missed several big opportunities, this short defeat looks like a victory for them, with more efficiency they can cause a lot of troubles to wales in the world cup
this fijian team can improve themselves a lot, they're on the right direction for a while (since the disapointed world cup)
Nadolo, what a game!

Last edited:
Both team were pathetic. Particularly Wales. The officials were even worse.

Worst international game of rugby EVER

It had better be different. We play like that next week we will take a hammering

I think we will. November is always a strange month for Wales, full of ups and downs. It was a strange mindset at the game today and Im confident it'll be different next week.

Not counting on a win mind you :lol:

I do believe Wales might have progressed had the two scores been awarded. Momentum with Wales at those stages and after the failing of not awarding of the tries Wales went flat.

I do concur about Liam Williams too. Credit when credit is due. He was good today. Needs now to do it in succession rather than one off.

I picked Samson Lee, Faletau, Roberts and North in my Fantasy team because I imagined an easy win for Wales but NOTHING for me

:banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
F*cking Welsh!

I picked Samson Lee, Faletau, Roberts and North in my Fantasy team because I imagined an easy win for Wales but NOTHING for me

Mate, can you cut out the swearing every other word? No problem with enthusiasm, just trying to keep the forum looking presentable, thanks.

F*cking Welsh!

North got you 14 points...

Also Faletau scored a try, but somehow it was not given. Dem feels doh

Last edited:
North got you 14 points...

Also Faletau scored a try, but somehow it was not given. Dem feels doh

Yeah but I wanted 100 points. It's Fiji

Mate, can you cut out the swearing every other word? No problem with enthusiasm, just trying to keep the forum looking presentable, thanks.

Ok mate but my English vocabulary is a bit short. What other word do you recommend?

Crikey.....different team different game to last week!

Too many Welsh players did not play anywhere near their potential and thought the Welsh back row were pretty awful with Faletau, failing to hold on to much ball, the worst. Phillips did nothing really wrong and he did not a lot good....surely he has to now go quietly as he is certainly not the future.....I could also make the same comment about Jamie Roberts but I never really rated him very highly anyway!!!

Liam Williams, "Welsh players' player of the year", had a great game in attack and defence....he pulled off a try preventing tackle on one side of the pitch, got up, ran across the field and did exactly the same on the other. Some of his breaks (was he the only one that broke their line?!) were superb expecially the one which resulted in a disallowed try as the tackle was deemed complete even though he was clearly not held when he got up again!! He was untouchable in the catching the high ball and thought he was pretty damn near faultless!

Fiji are doing a "French" and reining in their attacking flair by playing to a structure which may make them more successful but that is going to take a long time and also make them as boring as most other teams!!

Well done Nemia Soqeta.....Biarritz's only player playing International rugby even if he was a sub!!!

this is just it. No intention to 'twist the knife in the wound' (french saying) but just to make the point: Wales are just very uncomfortable playing PI sides. It's just that simple. How in the world they managed just 17 on Tonga last year and again 17 this year on FIJI, two very very mediocre teams that I repeat even a France in crisis (especially last year, dear God that match was awful offensively...) managed 40 over ?...just bizarre, bizarre..

Well remember Tonga beat Scotland on the tour a couple years ago, at least wales won. Tonga is another team that can beat any team when they have their best players. With fiji and France last week, fiji were right in that game until the later part of the second half. France scored a bunch a tries in a short period which blew out the score line. A lot of Frances tries were due to ratinis bad defence. He wasn't playing in this game though so that could have made a difference

Last edited:
I don't know about you, but Ireland are my only hope now after today's results...

And maybe Gatland could teach Hourcade how to beat Scotland :thumbup:

Ok but on the Tokyo stock exchange, a win against the two-time champions of the world is worth more than a win against Scotland :D

Latest posts