• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool B: South Africa vs. Japan (19/09/2015)

Glad for Japan their victory is probably good for the game, and they certainly deserved it as they played like Trojans. Bitterly disappointed in the Springboks though, I've given up any aspirations of being a meaningful team at this cup.
Sometimes you just aren't as good as you think you are, and honestly we're probably not in the top 5 best teams in the world at the moment. Still going to enjoy the rugby, and shout for the Bokke, but my current expectations are extremely low.

@Tony Manx

Remember what I said?

"Wouldn't put it past Scotland or Samoa beating South Africa".

The Argentine result really made me realize how bad they currently are, also the fact they dropped the game to us and Australia in the dying embers, their mentality is not there. Tie in the fact they are shocking away from home, look at the end of the year tour last year, they only bet England.

But this is unreal. JAPAN, wow. Haven't watched the game yet can't wait, it sounds like a thriller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I may have given SA more credit than they are due during the year. Japan on the other hand thats just ridiculous. They've been building for this since the last WC I remember them being VERY difficult for France and less so for NZ to overcome.

SA are just not mentally right to do anything much at this cup they have the players so its hard to believe really.

Now that I've calmed down and had a few beers. Well ***ing played Japan, that was some beautiful rugby you played.

Smart, smart rugby beat our mediocre dumb rugby. JdV and Schalk Burger, they used to be (and still are) my heroes. But sadly it's time for them to hang up the boots.

Like SomeOke said, expectations are pretty low. I doubt we'll make it past the semis if we get that far. Take a bow Japan that was some great rugga you played, really hope they can put one past Scotland or Samoa.

For the rest of the RWC, if we want to win games, FdP must start. That man is pure class and when he came on. Ruan Pienaar used to be an awesome player, dunno what happened the last few years.

This is what I think the team should look like, front row looks dodgy.

1. Beast
2. Strauss
3. Nykane/Malherbe
4. Ysterbeth
5. Lood
6. Flouw
7. Psdt/Kollisi
8. Thor

9. FdP
10. Pollard / Lambie
11. Mvovo
12. DDA
13. Kriel
14. Habana
15. Willie

Bloody hell, I'm Japanese but I figured there's no point waking up at 3:30am to watch SA steamroll over Japan so I didn't set the alarm. Woke up, checked the score and had to do a double take. Definitely going to watch the replay this evening.

I'm gonna have to sit down and watch this game in full. I've seen the highlights but I still can't get my head around how Japan actually won this? It is the most unbelievable Rugby result ever!! I feel for the SA supporters but glad to see some are taking the result in stride and congratulating a truly historic performance by this Japanese team.

So in terms of what actually happened? Any heads up? Clearly Japan played with heart, I understand their skills with ball in hand was second to none, and it sounds like their set piece was very good too, but even still they really shouldn't have gotten close to SA let alone win. Was there some underlying tactic they used which SA could not combat? Speed in the forwards or something? Or was SA just really poor? I haven't seen their handling stats, missed tackles etc.

So happy for Japan! Lived there for 3 years, coached a bit of rugby over there too. There is a sector of Japan that absolutely adores Rugby and finally they have been rewarded!

Glad for Japan their victory is probably good for the game, and they certainly deserved it as they played like Trojans. Bitterly disappointed in the Springboks though, I've given up any aspirations of being a meaningful team at this cup.
Sometimes you just aren't as good as you think you are, and honestly we're probably not in the top 5 best teams in the world at the moment. Still going to enjoy the rugby, and shout for the Bokke, but my current expectations are extremely low.

I am not sure it is quite that bad yet, SA are and excellent team and the true difference between the top 5-6 teams is pretty tiny so no one is guranteed anything.

What I think this shows is that the gap between the tier 1 and tier 2 teams has closed considerably.

What a game by JAPAN. Intense and entertaining. It goes to show how important it is to land all your kicks against the big nations. Above all the Japanese played with a lot of passion and heart. Their defence and set piece was immense.

I find it disappointing that Japan's schedule will see then play in the next 3 days against the Scots. This pool has gotten even tougher to predict. All eyes will be on how Samoa and Scotland perform next. We could possibly see japan/Samoa/Scotland going through and SA missing out.

Well done to Japan for the biggest upset in RWC, good to see how competitive the PNC nations are becoming.

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to sit down and watch this game in full. I've seen the highlights but I still can't get my head around how Japan actually won this? It is the most unbelievable Rugby result ever!! I feel for the SA supporters but glad to see some are taking the result in stride and congratulating a truly historic performance by this Japanese team.

So in terms of what actually happened? Any heads up? Clearly Japan played with heart, I understand their skills with ball in hand was second to none, and it sounds like their set piece was very good too, but even still they really shouldn't have gotten close to SA let alone win. Was there some underlying tactic they used which SA could not combat? Speed in the forwards or something? Or was SA just really poor? I haven't seen their handling stats, missed tackles etc.

So happy for Japan! Lived there for 3 years, coached a bit of rugby over there too. There is a sector of Japan that absolutely adores Rugby and finally they have been rewarded!

I guess it could be summed up as SA not giving due respect and expect to just run over the Japanese (to be fair, they did a few times). Whilst Japan used every trick they knew and worked their arses off to nullify the massive SA weight advantage. The Japanese scrum in particular was amazing, ball in and then out again in less than a second so SA couldn't drive them off. England could really learn to copy that now our scrum is so wobbly.

They totally outsmarted us, good kicking game by them, excellent back play and great at the breakdown. They couldn't match the strength / physicality but they made up for it by outwitting us.

And they capitalised on the boks having absolutely no synergy. Lood de Jager and PsDT and the replacements looked like the only players who were willing to get stuck in and get the job done.

Game was won through their awesome defence and also the boot. Eddie Jones has done really well with their set pieces.

I guess it could be summed up as SA not giving due respect and expect to just run over the Japanese (to be fair, they did a few times). Whilst Japan used every trick they knew and worked their arses off to nullify the massive SA weight advantage. The Japanese scrum in particular was amazing, ball in and then out again in less than a second so SA couldn't drive them off. England could really learn to copy that now our scrum is so wobbly.

Cheers mate. I love this video clip as well:

So the next big question for me is how on earth does Eddie Jones bring this team back to earth for their next game? Still a lot of work to do if they wanna make the knock-out phase!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Heyneke Meyer the problem?

There is just so much wrong in SA rugby at the moment

To criticise coaches & players is natural but imho the root of the problem lies with discriminatory selection policies. It starts at the top.
The problem is the politicised idiots running SA rugby are too arrogant and ignorant to realise the damage their policies are causing.

They totally outsmarted us, good kicking game by them, excellent back play and great at the breakdown. They couldn't match the strength / physicality but they made up for it by outwitting us.

And they capitalised on the boks having absolutely no synergy. Lood de Jager and PsDT and the replacements looked like the only players who were willing to get stuck in and get the job done.

Wow, its amazing how mental preparation can make such a big difference aye! Cant wait to see the game in full!

By the way, it may have been talked about already, but for the SA guys out there, remember France lost to Tonga last world cup and then nearly won the thing, so far from over for you guys. In fact, maybe this is the kick up the arse your team needed. There is enough talent there and certainly enough experience and smart heads. In all likelihood if you win your remaining games, and you should, you will probably still top your pool!

Last edited:
Wow, its amazing how mental preparation can make such a big difference aye! Cant wait to see the game in full!

A bunch of average players that play well as a team will almost always beat a bunch of players who are great individually but lack synergy as a team. It didn't seem like there was a leader in the forwards and the horrible service from Pienaar didn't help either. Whereas the Japanese had great teamwork, they went in together.

Why do you think everyone loves awesome backline tries where the ball goes through quite a few hands more than a winger pulling off some crazy individual skill (which is cool, but not as cool) it's awesome to see that teamwork coming together.

EDIT:

The most important reason I think that the Japanese won is because they had something we lacked.

Passion, a ****load of passion.

I had goosebumps watching that match. Definition of why sport makes people happy.

Me and 4 of my mates jumped and went mental when they scored that try.. Just the way they won.. this makes Japan a serious team at this tournament, they play with that sort of composure and belief, not many teams will want them in the quarters..

Let's hope Uruguay make history tomorrow..

Had SA respected Japan a little more they'd have won that game as well! They had an easy kick to go 10 up and went for the corner instead. It's a true example of getting the win before the bonus point but SA showed immense arrogance and paid for it.

Obviously this his takes nothing away from the greatest single match upset in the history of sport, can't decide if this is more shocking than Greece winning the Euros in 04, Japan were smarter from minute one and this is just an example!