• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool C: Tonga vs. Georgia (19/09/2015)

The TMO should only be used if the ref asks. All incidents not referred should be either accepted or cited if dangerous.

Yeah... But ever since what happened to the All Blacks in South Africa, with their media people obviously choosing what video to put on the big screens to the crowd... All of a sudden, it's happened again in the first game, and the referee has reacted upon the crowd reacting. Since when has the referee in the middle meant so little?

(I'm not disagreeing with the disallowed try btw, but ****, if there were NO referees in the vicinity, how is it fair to just assume anyway????)

I honestly see a lot of yellow cards coming by way of showing the crowd, them booing, having 3 people ruling the game completely missing it, and having the TMO make huge big deals via slowing down replays...

Hmm. I'm not too surprised. Tonga aren't at their best form wise going into this, and Georgia were never going to be pinpoint accurate. I just need Tonga to win by 13 or more!!!!

Hmm. I'm not too surprised. Tonga aren't at their best form wise going into this, and Georgia were never going to be pinpoint accurate. I just need Tonga to win by 13 or more!!!!

Tonga won their last 4 leading up to this and Georgia lost their last 4!

I have been rooting for Georgia all along, but they need a strong start to the half or they could have all their hard work undone pretty easily.

Honestly I'd rather just the call be correct regardless of how it's achieved.

Of course, this is my opinion as someone who officiates the sport of ice hockey which has many, many natural stoppages in play, at the NCAA level (the highest I regularly work), so the "flow of the game argument" doesn't really apply.

Its the complete lack of vision (perhaps execution) when it comes to in play kicking that frustrates me the most. Then its the ball handling/passing. Lots of stone cold drops and several pretty average forward passes. Basic skills if u ask me.

I'm really worried about how the officiating is tracking as well, particularly the TMO involvement. Its killing any momentum. But its the stuff in rucks and mauls where players clinging out are slipping up around the neck that is really unfortunate. Anyone that has played the game knows it happens all the time. If the continue to try and police it the way they are now this RWC is going to be very frustrating to watch...

I think the drops are coming from heavy and suffocating defense, tacklers are in their faces immediately, I can remember the All Blacks having the same issues against Italy a couple of years ago and making a lot of errors. Couple of forward passes were not unusual although some of the kicks were poor it's true.

I think so too, more and more every game I watch...

The NFL have had instant replay/TV official on and off for 35 years or so and are STILL tweaking how it works. It's getting closer to being right, but these things take serious time and application to work perfectly (if they ever do)

I think the big issue with it is that the "points of focus" or whatever they call them, and the rules of what the TMO can and can't do should be in place for, say, a year in international rugby so that everyone (players, refs and fans) are aware of how it works for the big tournament.
Bottom line is that the ref on the pitch should have the control....with a few exceptions they get huge numbers of decisions right with a few human errors..

I think the drops are coming from heavy and suffocating defense, tacklers are in their faces immediately, I can remember the All Blacks having the same issues against Italy a couple of years ago and making a lot of errors. Couple of forward passes were not unusual although some of the kicks were poor it's true.

For sure a lot of credit needs to go to the Georgian D, but a lot of mistakes have been unforced - Tongas missed kick to touch from that last penalty for example. Or Aulika's one handed ball carry which caused him to drop it cold as soon as he hit contact....

Anyway will leave it at that.

Last edited:
Tonga won their last 4 leading up to this and Georgia lost their last 4!

I have been rooting for Georgia all along, but they need a strong start to the half or they could have all their hard work undone pretty easily.

But they finished 3rd in the Pacific Nations Cup and struggled against Japan.

Yeah... But ever since what happened to the All Blacks in South Africa, with their media people obviously choosing what video to put on the big screens to the crowd... All of a sudden, it's happened again in the first game, and the referee has reacted upon the crowd reacting. Since when has the referee in the middle meant so little?

(I'm not disagreeing with the disallowed try btw, but ****, if there were NO referees in the vicinity, how is it fair to just assume anyway????)

I honestly see a lot of yellow cards coming by way of showing the crowd, them booing, having 3 people ruling the game completely missing it, and having the TMO make huge big deals via slowing down replays...

I agree although but the replays aren't bias during the World Cup. They show replays of all tries.

Tackles and incidents shouldn't be replayed to the crowd.

Opportunity missed there for Georgia.

- - - Updated - - -

'I'll take the three points' - Kicker
'I can't give you three points but I'll give you a go' - Nigel
:D

- - - Updated - - -

Massive blow struck by the Georgians!

Great score for Georgia, almost felt like Owens would blow up for something but they kept it alive and made it count. Good stuff.

Uh oh.

I think the tongans lost where the ball was, great fullback play.

Good try, a bit of class the game needed. I can't see Tonga coming back from this now.

Latest posts