• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool D: France vs. Ireland (11/10/2015)

Time for Earlsy to prove all the begrudges wrong to ****. Gwan Keef

Where are all these begrudgers? No one has said they don't want Earls to do well. I'm pretty everyone would be delighted if he plays a blinder. Most just don't have much confidence in him as a 13 compared to Payne particularly in such a high stakes game. That's not begrudgery.

Where are all these begrudgers? No one has said they don't want Earls to do well. I'm pretty everyone would be delighted if he plays a blinder. Most just don't have much confidence in him as a 13 compared to Payne particularly in such a high stakes game. That's not begrudgery.

Isn't that what I mean. Most think he has no vision. No hands. No defensive ability as a 13. Time for him to show he has the capability and prove to people he can offer just as much as Payne who equally offers little confidence in people regards his attack at 13.
For what it worth I think Earls is a winger just in this scenario people should realise he is a capable replacement and can be a performer. And I don't think Payne should be 13 after RWC as he's a better15 and if we want to expand our game he needs to improve offensively at 13 if he's to stay there.

Last edited:
Isn't that what I mean. Most think he has no vision. No hands. No defensive ability as a 13. Time for him to show he has the capability and prove to people he can offer just as much as Payne who equally offers little confidence in people regards his attack at 13.
For what it worth I think Earls is a winger just in this scenario people should realise he is a capable replacement and can be a performer. And I don't think Payne should be 13 after RWC as he's a better15 and if we want to expand our game he needs to improve offensively at 13 if he's to stay there.

That's not begrudgery though?

People are entitled to question Earls as a 13, he hasn't consistently shown the skills needed for 13. Just as people are entitled to question Payne.

I feel that Payne has shown his distribution is superior from 13 than Earls which isn't surprising from someone who plays primarily fullback or wing against someone who has played the majority of his rugby on the wing. That's the key reason why in a backline that lacks playmakers outside Sexton I'd feel more confident in attack with Payne.

In defence, I've heard Payne described as a great communicator which is vital for defence in that position I can't remember ever hearing Earls described as that. Earls is also a similar build to D'arcy and BO'D who were better defenders than Earls and always struggled with Basteraud. Payne's got a number of kg on Earls and has already proven he can handle Basteraud. That's why I'd rather Payne on defense.

I really hope Earls has a great game tomorrow and completely allays my fears I'm just not as confident in him doing it as I'd like to be.

I think is best attributes are his pace, his step and his finishing. Attributes which make an excellent wing, not a centre.

It's an opinion, not begrudgery of any kind.

Last edited:
That's not begrudgery though?

People are entitled to question Earls as a 13, he hasn't consistently shown the skills needed for 13. Just as people are entitled to question Payne.

I feel that Payne has shown his distribution is superior from 13 than Earls which isn't surprising from someone who plays primarily fullback or wing against someone who has played the majority of his rugby on the wing. That's the key reason why in a backline that lacks playmakers outside Sexton I'd feel more confident in attack with Payne.

In defence, I've heard Payne described as a great communicator which is vital for defence in that position I can't remember ever hearing Earls described as that. Earls is also a similar build to D'arcy and BO'D who were better defenders than Earls and always struggled with Basteraud. Payne's got a number of kg on Earls and has already proven he can handle Basteraud. That's why I'd rather Payne on defense.

I really hope Earls has a great game tomorrow and completely allays my fears I'm just not as confident in him doing it as I'd like to be.

I think is best attributes are his pace, his step and his finishing. Attributes which make an excellent wing, not a centre.

It's an opinion, not begrudgery of any kind.

That's a fair assessment. My point is a lot may go wrong tomorrow and I guarantee a lot will blame it on Earls regardless of if he had anything to do with it or not. And when I said **** the begrudgers I wasn't limiting it to here solely.
As I said I don't think Earls is a 13 but in this scenario I believe he's the best available and everyone needs to get behind Ireland this will be tight.

I am predicting Ireland win here. I think there will be more of an edge to their performance purely based on the fact they want to avoid NZ in the QF at all costs. France do not fear NZ, they know they have the mental edge over NZ in knockout matches. Hence going into the match against Ireland I don't think France will be as desperate to avoid NZ. However France probably know by now that winning against NZ in QF/SF is not the same as winning the world cup. They would give themselves the best chance to win the RWC if they avoid NZ in QF. I have no doubt they can upset NZ again in the QF, but I do doubt they can win the following 2 games to win the RWC.

It's always weird to me that teams try to avoid other teams at certain stages. You have to beat the best, to be the best. If France end up with NZ, then so be it, but i would love seeing Joe Schmidt going up against Hansen.

It's always weird to me that teams try to avoid other teams at certain stages. You have to beat the best, to be the best. If France end up with NZ, then so be it, but i would love seeing Joe Schmidt going up against Hansen.

Nothing weird about it! Everyone would like to avoid the stronger nation until at least the final! Why would you want to miss out on being part of the final?

If that side were to be knocked out earlier by a lesser side playing out of their skins it makes your job that little bit easier!!

All this rubbish that a side wants to beat the best is more weird! They just want to win Bill and the easier it is the better!!

I feel that the French forwards will turn it up a notch or two and will prove too strong for the Irish, and if Michalak gets quick ball then France could be in for a bonus point win.

I am predicting Ireland win here. I think there will be more of an edge to their performance purely based on the fact they want to avoid NZ in the QF at all costs. France do not fear NZ, they know they have the mental edge over NZ in knockout matches. Hence going into the match against Ireland I don't think France will be as desperate to avoid NZ. However France probably know by now that winning against NZ in QF/SF is not the same as winning the world cup. They would give themselves the best chance to win the RWC if they avoid NZ in QF. I have no doubt they can upset NZ again in the QF, but I do doubt they can win the following 2 games to win the RWC.

I doubt that either side doubt their ability to beat New Zealand ... I'm not sure that the other side of the draw is going to be that much easier TBH; Argentina are playing pretty well, and then there's the Aussies.

I get what your saying in terms of France having knocked New Zealand out before, but New Zealand don't fear them either ... I think they have respect for both France and Ireland's abilities, so I'm encouraged that they will prepare for that match regardless of who loses this one.

... anyway, that's a topic for another thread.

... but you don't though; you avoid a team, and hopefully someone else knocks them out, while you continue to progress ... regardless of who the opposition you get in the quarter final, I'm sure both teams are desperate to win, if for no other reason, than if gives the winning side a physiological advantage going forward.

I know this will be a closely fought test match, that's why I'm looking forward to it so much

I'll be supponting France in this game
Thats your right man. I've always had Argentina as a second team, ye were the first international side I saw back in 1990 , i saw the great Hugo Porta, the ref played 10 minutes of injury time and gave us a mystery peno to beat ye by a point. altough I think ye got your own back 9 years later in lens!

Last edited:
Thats your right man. I've always had Argentina as a second team, ye were the first international side I saw back in 1990 , i saw the great Hugo Porta, the ref played 10 minutes of injury time and gave us a mystery peno to beat ye by a point. altough I think ye got your own back 9 years later in lens!
Haha, to each their own! I want to win this because I love beating Argentina, since losing Felipe they don't have a redeeming factor in my books!! :D

I think they do. I do anyway. They know fair well that they have a better chance against argentina.
My guess, very biased I agree, is a french win. By not much. It will be ugly but we will prevail.

edit: and to be fair I think out of france and Ireland, Ireland has the best chance of a win against the blacks(a surprise factor). For anyone who hasn't seen their 2013 encounter I suggest you watch it. They surely could have win that game. It's only a matter of time they beat the blacks, and what's a better stage to do it than the world cup?

Last edited:
Nerves are kicking in. If we lose and but gave a good performance it won't be too bad. But we really need intensity and performance to be on the money.

It's nearly time chaps! Please perform France! I need to see concrete proof that we can compete for the cup.
The trouble is with France is that they literally have had the worst 4 years in French rugby history so it very hard to have any faith in them. But if we go by the last 5 games we've won all 5. 4 of them very comfortably, only Scotland had us on the ropes....

It's nearly time chaps! Please perform France! I need to see concrete proof that we can compete for the cup.
The trouble is with France is that they literally have had the worst 4 years in French rugby history so it very hard to have any faith in them. But if we go by the last 5 games we've won all 5. 4 of them very comfortably, only Scotland had us on the ropes....

I agree FRG and no one will be under more pressure than Freddie!!

He performed really well last time but, as I have always truly believed, he can win the odd game but lose a helluva lot more!!

If the real French turn up, and ignore the handicaps that PSA and Blanco have put upon them, then they can run Ireland close but, if not, cannot see them winning!!

I am a big rugby fan but never played much anyway always wondered why ireland don't put toner jumping at front of line out on opponents throw and more so inside opposition 22 would he not cause havoc anyone want to educate me?
remember jim Hamilton causing havoc against us a few years ago doing something similar.

I see Bill is at the Millenium!

Probably the closest the Welsh will get to getting their hands on it!!!!

Latest posts