• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool D: France vs. Italy (19/09/2015)

France will have to win every game in their group to finish first to avoid NZ in the Q finals.
But then, they'll probably come up against Argentina, their "bêtes noires" against whom their record is not good!
So sorry les bleus, mais on est foutu!

Last edited:
France will have to win every game in their group to finish first to avoid NZ in the Q finals.
But then, they'll probably come up against Argentina, their "bêtes noires" against whom their record is not good!
So sorry, les bleus mais on est foutu!

Well I'd rather we take our chances with the Pumas than the All Blacks ☺
I don't think it's that unthinkable that we finish 1st in our group. Ireland have never beaten us in a world cup. If we're likely to make an upset it will be beating Ireland in Cardiff

I don't think it's that unthinkable that we finish 1st in our group. Ireland have never beaten us in a world cup. If we're likely to make an upset it will be beating Ireland in Cardiff

Yes, the Irish match is going to be enormous, win that and you can concentrate on Argentina. Although France's record against Argentina is poor, they should win. The French forwards are strong and are a match for any team and could go all the way to the final - but let's not be too optimistic!

Ireland hadnt beaten France in France for 13 (14?) years prior to last March. Things change, history unfolds :) But I also dont think its unfeasible that you top the group. I still think Ireland will win but as you say if youre gonna cause an upset its this match, or even potentially NZ in the quarters...!

A lot of the rest of the countries are hoping you draw the Kiwis and get them out of the draw for the rest of us! Pleeeeeeeeeease.

I'm split between facing the Pumas and the All-Blakcs. We're the All Blacks' 'bête noire' as much as the Pumas are our 'bête noire'. Don't know how much will the psychological factor weigh in.
I'd say that chances that we finish first are 50-50, Ireland wasn't impressive in their prep matches but they're still very, very, solid.

Who do the French people prefer between Dulin and Spedding?

I'm a massive Dulin fan but would be curious as to what you guys think.

Me too, I think Dulin should be there. He is an elusive runner who links well in attack whereas Spedding is a one trick pony - he is a big and much too often attempts to break through tackles instead of drawing the opponent and passing or even better, commit the tackler and then offload.
His selection over Dulin is one of the mysteries of PSA's gameplan, along with the omission of Machenaud and Trinh Duc, commonly seen as the best half back pairing in France, who have been ditched.

Le XV de départ*:*Spedding - Huget, Bastareaud,*Dumoulin, Nakaitaci - (o) Michalak, (m) Tillous-Borde -*Chouly,*Picamoles,*Dusautoir (Cap)*- Maestri, Papé*- Slimani, Guirado, Ben Arous.

Remplaçants*:*Kayser, Debaty, Mas, Flanquart, Le Roux, Parra, Tales, Fickou

I do, by a mile, Spedding's counterattacks are just too plain and individualistic, and Dulin is a solid under the high ball. Dulin's step is unstoppable when he's at his best, he's quite alike to Milner-Skudder in that regard (really is a similar type of player: a diminutive and elusive full-back with a handy offload game).
We're quick to forget that 2 years ago, Dulin was one of our few sure-starters, now he's stuck to the bench.

Parisse is Power.
Picamoles up against his nemesis.
Parisse isn't only power, he's the most skillful Italian player and, save for his kicking game, would probably do a better job a 10 than Allan.
Italy can't win without him.

So, can this game follow that game? Without Parrise I just can't see Italy troubling the French.

Parisse ain't playing? didn't know... what a bummer, now I have lost all my interest in this match.

That must have been a rough 5 minutes to be Welsh....
Why was 1/2p puff piece on before the Italy/France game?

I know ITV aren't used to rugby coverage but their coverage has been a bit odd in what they show before the match...

Latest posts