• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] England vs Italy (Round 2)

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sexton going high has nothing to do with qualms and everything to do with the fact he's a big strong lad with instructions to a) Execute the choke tackle where all possible and b) Prevent the offload. You might injure him going at him, but if you think he's going to give much in defence, I'd say otherwise. He's possibly the soundest defensive fly-half I've seen in recentyears.

As for discipline - if the ref had blown, they'd have probably adapted. They're smart like that, as a rule.

yeah Sexto may go high but he meets the runner and stops the momentum, it's an aggressive tackle and i don't recall him conceding much ground in the contact area and lets not forget that was his frost game for 12 weeks which in itself is remarkable considering how good he played at times.

Well this is very doom and gloomish ! I didn't think we played that badly for a team that were obviously told to go and play fast and loose . The scrum was strong as was the line out . All 3 centres played well . May was a bit of a waste of time but I'm sure we will sort out that in training before the Ireland game . He's not usually a defensive liability .I don't see anything on the net that says brown is out of the next game ? Everything I have seen says he will have a return to play protocol but we have 2 weeks before the game . I think he will be back by then he's tough as old boots !

A comfortable win for England, as expected, well done, sometimes teams like Italy can be a bit of a banana skin but not on this occasion. England were imperious.
The stripey blazer brigade at Twickers will be in full voice as they Rah Rah Ravioli the battered Italians.
On this kind of result you have to wonder if its time for the competition to go back to 5 teams and let Italy get into a second tier competition with Romania, Spain and Georgia. They can learn how to win games in that environment.
You Poms point the finger at the Pumas in the RC but the Pumas are a much more gritty and superior outfit to the Italians.

Ireland vs England looks to be the big one for the Championship.
Both teams have real strengths to bring to the table.

You Poms point the finger at the Pumas in the RC but the Pumas are a much more gritty and superior outfit to the Italians.

Do we ?? That's news to me I've not seen any Englishmen on here downing the Argies . Well other than the fact their leader is a crazy woman who stills goes on about the Falklands but that's for another forum ....

Back to the rugby I'm looking forward to the Ireland game . They need to improve on as many things as we do and tbh it looks to me like their new centre partnership isn't clicking at all . Strangely that could be an area we could look to exploit along with the scrum . Any news on Corbs ? Because he could be a real nightmare for Ross ?

Last edited:
You Poms point the finger at the Pumas in the RC.

that-never-happened.jpg

As Maverick said, we don't have negative comments about their rugby team, we just have a negative view of their politics.

Thought Marler was probably our best player while on. Excellent set piece some big hits - definitely up there with the best in the world now. Hartley seems to either be obnoxious and risk getting sent off or painfully mute throughout. I'd keep him though for his set piece which is miles ahead of Youngs'.

Haskell disappointed for me after last week but Billy V again showed increased maturity and fitness, seemingly becoming more of an all-round defensive player than a crash-ball merchant. Still pretty poor at the base of the scrum.

Youngs unfortunately was dreadful I thought, his passing was woeful but I suppose for Ireland it will make sense to have his sniping and confrontational style.

For me 36 should come in for Luther, he just offers so much more, I didn't think it was a coincidence that we improved literally the minute he came on.

I'd also like to see Nowell come in for May, better all round player, less flashy but can do it all really, the sort of guy I'd like to take to Dublin. Here's hoping MB is fit but Watson is fine at full back. Offers less defensively than Brown but will add a lot more in attack.

My review:

Some would say my writing is very similar to an England performance of late. A sloppy start that eventually becomes what you expected, although you can't help but think that it could have and should have been better. 6 tries is what England would have been after, but to concede 3 tries will really frustrate Lancaster and his men against an Italian side that improved upon their performance against the Irish, but still should not pose a threat to the English line. Considering the defensive display last week the English were sluggish in defence, Mike Brown won't be delighted with his display and once again neither will Jonny May. May was disappointing, with his pace we expected more, but he once again had trouble backing himself to run at the line, missing out on a clear opportunity to show off.

The Italians will come away pleased with the improvements they made, they posed an attacking threat which is something they didn't get remotely close to in week 1. Luca Morisi could be the happiest Italian there is, after seizing his opportunity in Campagnaro's absence with 2 tries, he has staked his claim for the shirt and impressed many with his strong running. For England the highlights come in attack, they had a chance to show what they can do, and it was that man Jonathan Joseph who once again showed why he should be the England 13. 2 brilliant tries from the Bath player ensured that England continue their record against the Italians; 21 wins out of 21. But it was worrying for the English early on when Morisi went over in the corner after selling Brown with the dummy, and England trailed until the 24th minute, before Vunipola bundled over.

England had less possession, less territory, missed more tackles and had fewer line breaks than the Italians, but still ran away clear winners, and that is something that the English can hold on to; there is plenty more to come from the men in white. I expected a bigger game from Haskell, was hoping Burrell could bring more in attack and was desperate to see May show us his pace. I'd keep Haskell in the side, but would like to see Eastmond brought in to partner club mates Ford, Joseph and Watson and Wade in for May, if people have concerns about Wade's defence then they should re-watch Jonny May these past couple of weeks.

22 missed tackles is a concern for the English, if that happens in Dublin then Ireland could storm to victory. They will look to captain Robshaw as their role model, tackle well and start bright and Lancaster will be happy. Jonathan Joseph was rightly man of the match, he brightens up the English back line and when paired with Eastmond could do even more damage. Nick Easter and Cipriani played well when they came on, making instant impacts as Easter became England's oldest ever try scorer. Twelvetrees was good as well, I'm very happy to see him come off the bench but would not like to see him start in an England shirt just yet. England fans will be expectant now for the rest of the tournament, expecting now a very close game against the Irish that the men in white could well win. To sum it all up: disappointing defence, promising attack.

http://fourballsblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/england-vs-italy-review.html

yeah Sexto may go high but he meets the runner and stops the momentum, it's an aggressive tackle and i don't recall him conceding much ground in the contact area and lets not forget that was his frost game for 12 weeks which in itself is remarkable considering how good he played at times.
I don't disagree with this, and I'm not talking about his defence as a whole just specifically this game. I'm hoping his rustiness hasn't worn off too much.
He made 3 tackles, missed one, and two of those tackles took him out of the game (one for about 10mins for the concussion assessment) - not exactly a stellar defensive effort.

Been working nights so I only got to see end of the game but from what I saw and highlights looks like we did a good solid job on Italy !

Bring on Ireland.

I don't blame Brown for the first try, the rest of the England defense were so sluggish, they couldn't even be bothered to drift across. He was left with a 2v1, gambled and got it wrong. If a team pulls off the 2v1 correctly, the defender should never be able to stop it.

Anyone watching the Bath v Sarries game? tis very entertaining.

A couple of observations:

Love him or hate him; Goode looks to be playing himself back into contention for the England shirt (kicking out of hand and at posts has been very impressive), can he take the form to an international game though :/

Baths defence is being cut to peices by sarries- they look to be missing Joseph in this respect

Why is Jamie George continually overlooked, in favour of player like Webber and LCD? he always looks very solid at set piece and offers more than Hartley round the field.

Last edited:
Anyone watching the Bath v Sarries game? tis very entertaining.

A couple of observations:

Love him or hate him; Goode looks to be playing himself back into contention for the England shirt (kicking out of hand and at posts has been very impressive), can he take the form to an international game though :/

Baths defence is being cut to peices by sarries- they look to be missing Joseph in this respect

Why is Jamie George continually overlooked, in favour of player like Webber and LCD? he always looks very solid at set piece and offers more than Hartley round the field.

I'm watching and thought goode has been soooo average to be honest.
Being solid under the high ball and doing an up and under is just basics really

I'm watching and thought goode has been soooo average to be honest.
Being solid under the high ball and doing an up and under is just basics really
Yeah, I've changed my mind on this since the first half lol. His tackling is still very suspect- that Roko try was pretty average defending.

Goode should not be considered for England at FB, he is fundamentally flawed because of his (lack of) pace.

On this kind of result you have to wonder if its time for the competition to go back to 5 teams and let Italy get into a second tier competition with Romania, Spain and Georgia. .

WTF*!!! It is the same old pathetic stereotypes we've been hearing for since 2000....

Oh Italy out they are no good... then they turn teams over and all go silent 'cause the look like idiots!

As soon as Italy lose they jump on the old broken record.....

I always thought kiwis were reasonable based on the ones I met.... Now I have found 1 who obviously isn't!

*FIDDLESTICKS

That's only an issue of you intend to actually use your 15 as a strike runner :D

Nah... it's an issue any time he's required to run.
So - most of the time.

Up in the line defending and someone chips through for a footrace?

Forget about it.
You+think+anybody+thinks+i+m+a+failure+because+i+go+_eacf961bfcaf507251abff0044db3c28.jpg

Last edited:
But now we have Burrell, Joseph, Watson and May do we need him to be running at the Irish ? Maybe it would help Ford having another boot and passing option ? To me Pennel would be the guy to have if Brown is out, all the others aren't ready for this game. Sexton, Murray and Kearney would love to hit balls up for Nowell, Watson and May. All guys who are not used to playing 15 at intl' level against these guys, people don't like Goode as physically he isn't good but I bet most Irish guys would not wont Goode against them if they play their kicking game. Obviously though, if we think we can win by running rugby than don't play him but do we think the Irish will lose by teams running at them ? Who knows as no one has done it yet this year.

WTF*!!! It is the same old pathetic stereotypes we've been hearing for since 2000....

Oh Italy out they are no good... then they turn teams over and all go silent 'cause the look like idiots!

As soon as Italy lose they jump on the old broken record.....

I always thought kiwis were reasonable based on the ones I met.... Now I have found 1 who obviously isn't!

*FIDDLESTICKS

Even with the magnificence of Sergio Parisse, and the power of Castrogiavianni, Italy were 'smeared across the park' by an England team that took its sweet time hitting it's straps, like warm butter over toast.
Italy were destroyed and England could have doubled that score if they were on their mettle from the get go.
Romania, Spain and Georgia would greatly benefit from being in a second tier tournament with Italy as the big team, even if they stay as the whipping boys in the 6Nations.

Last edited:

Latest posts