• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] Wales vs Ireland (Round 4)

This post aroused me.

WC Final....****ing hell imagine that.

The only thing and I'm certainly not bigging us up. But if we top our pool the route to a RWC final is a lot nicer. Schmidt could get Ireland to a first RWC semi final without meeting a SH team. And if you get that far anything is possible.

The only team I'd try avoid is obviously New Zealand. Ireland always choked once the favourites tag was attached. But under Schmidt it seems they have a quiet confidence and belief in the system. This is an extremely good run of results and long may it continue. If we see off wales teams will not look forward to playing us at the World Cup. We are clearly moving forward. Winning without playing particularly well is a very good sign. Ireland v New Zealand/England final. I'd take that! And obviously lift the trophy while we are there!

**** all this talk of the World Cup, there's a slam to play for. We have 2 slams in 100+ attempts. Let's try get another one. It'd be massive.

This post aroused me.

WC Final....****ing hell imagine that.
#

Why not? The style of Rugby Ireland are playing is tailor made for a World Cup. Strong defense, good kick chase, excellent set piece and full commital to the breakdown. As long as your work rate is high and the basics are done well Ireland could do very well. Dont forget who they have beaten in the last 12 months.

#

Why not? The style of Rugby Ireland are playing is tailor made for a World Cup. Strong defense, good kick chase, excellent set piece and full commital to the breakdown. As long as your work rate is high and the basics are done well Ireland could do very well. Dont forget who they have beaten in the last 12 months.

Aye I genuinely feel we have the measure of SA. And OZ when we meet them now but I've still a huge fear of the all blacks.

**** all this talk of the World Cup, there's a slam to play for. We have 2 slams in 100+ attempts. Let's try get another one. It'd be massive.

Here here. It frustrates the **** out of me when all the media talks about during the Six Nations is the World bloody Cup. Yes, it's the same year, but it's about 7 months away. That's a huge amount of time for all number of different things to change in the rugby world. I'm pretty sure the World Cup wouldn't have been mentioned at all in the Ireland camp. Whoever wins this Six Nations will just be seen as the winners of the warm up, which is pretty sad seeing as the Six Nations is a better tournament in some people's eyes.

Well this is probably the best measure of the NH teams going into the world cup. Best yeah 7 months is ages away in terms of sport, anything could happen in that time. Injuries to key players, bolters coming into the squad a la Tuilagi, Lancaster bringing in a better attack coach....please

Steve Walsh has withdrawn and Barnes takes his place. Would rather Walsh I think.

Steve Walsh has withdrawn and Barnes takes his place. Would rather Walsh I think.

Yes!!! Not a fan of Walsh after he awarded that try for France last year which was clearly a knock on. Having said that, not a fan of Wayne Barnes either.

I'd take Walsh over the Wayne Barnes show any day. Barnes will suit the more disciplined side though, as we saw vs France. He won't make a big call either way in the final stages of the game though, as we saw against France...

Is not the problem Walsh wants to make a big call regardless of if he's right or not?

Last edited:
Was Barnes in charge time the blunder in this fixture for Mike Phillips try a few years ago?

Been honest I don't think it'll effect game too much. Wales will still play their game and so will we. I do expect Gatland to come out with some comments to highlight something but doubt it'll mean much. Was talking to Zebo this morning and by all accounts all injury cases look very positive. Again my only worry would be SOB simply as the return to play protocols depend on doctor accessing and well he was lost before coming off. But was very alert fast so all going well.

- - - Updated - - -

Here here. It frustrates the **** out of me when all the media talks about during the Six Nations is the World bloody Cup. Yes, it's the same year, but it's about 7 months away. That's a huge amount of time for all number of different things to change in the rugby world. I'm pretty sure the World Cup wouldn't have been mentioned at all in the Ireland camp. Whoever wins this Six Nations will just be seen as the winners of the warm up, which is pretty sad seeing as the Six Nations is a better tournament in some people's eyes.

I agree. I do think the RWC has to be in thought but not at the expense of a 6Nations which in itself is a massive achievement obviously.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. I do think the RWC has to be in thought but not at the expense of a 6Nations which in itself is a massive achievement obviously. And warm up games can be bit of a joke as it's experimenting and trying to see 45-50 players over 3-4 games

Interesting that Ireland are playing Wales , in Cardiff , as favourites ( and I agree they re favourites) when a neutral would ( and I'm trying to be objective here ) probably pick 8 Welshmen in a combined team?

Interesting that Ireland are playing Wales , in Cardiff , as favourites ( and I agree they re favourites) when a neutral would ( and I'm trying to be objective here ) probably pick 8 Welshmen in a combined team?
It's debatable like I think very few of Welsh pack would make Irish pack currently. But that it's tight calls and others would view differently. But I think as is forecast it'll be extremely tight game that will depend on which team turns up better on day

A combined team chosen based on what criteria? This whole "who would get into who's team" thing is a bit redundant as there are bigger forces such as tactical approaches, player combinations and familiarity and team chemistry.

As a team Ireland are clinical and everyone knows there roles in whichever gameplay they execute. Wales haven't quite got that right this year so far. That's much more important for the game than whether you'd drop Liam Williams for Tommy Bowe.

It's debatable like I think very few of Welsh pack would make Irish pack currently. But that it's tight calls and others would view differently. But I think as is forecast it'll be extremely tight game that will depend on which team turns up better on day

Probably just Lee, AWJ and Faletau really unless SOB is pushed across to 6 to accommodate Warburton . My combined XV would be

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Lee (touch and go with Ross)
4. O'Connell
5. AWJ
6. SOB
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. North
12. Henshaw
13. Davies
14. Bowe
15. Halfpenny (kicking gets him in for me although it's a tight call)

So mines 8 to Ireland 7 to Wales . Although I've given both the tight calls to Wales . It's probably more like a 9/6 to Ireland with Kearney in instead of Halfpenny

Last edited:
But I know nothing about that stuff......;)

Agree injections are probably not a good idea, I can understand trying to push yourself through a world cup final or similar but in a game which if you win you have a chance to win a 6 nations championship? I thought the rumours were Wales management were apparently writing off the 6 nations in favour of building the world cup? I didn't believe it when suggested (because the best prep for a world cup is winning a 6 nations for NH teams) but if they're doing this I have no idea what they are trying to accomplish apart from risking an important player 6 months out from world cup.

Completely agree on the injections, I'd like him wrapped in cotton wool till the WC, however can't see the Welsh management risking further damage.

Latest posts