• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2017 British & Irish Lions Squad Announcement

Being fair it's not a bias or bad squad. Just they wont beat New Zealand.
For guys who didn't make it I'm sure there'll be 10 or so injuries throughout.

Being fair it's not a bias or bad squad. Just they wont beat New Zealand.
For guys who didn't make it I'm sure there'll be 10 or so injuries throughout.

I posted yesterday that we will probably see a record number of replacements called up due to HIA now being in play. Jamie Roberts will most likely get his chance.

I think it should be

1. Mako 2. Owens 3. Furlong
4. Itoje 5. Kruis
6. POM 7. Warbs 8. BV
9. Murray 10. Sexton
12. Farrell 13. JJ
11. North 14. Williams
15. Hogg

I think that teams got the best chance really. All skilled players and offer something above average.

Lucky players.
Sinkler there as no other choice.
Best.midweek captain.
Payne. WTF
Bigger. Need someone to argue with refs.
Nowell.?
Moriarty. Why 3 No8 can cover other back row spots but better all-rounder.
Unlucky.
Launchbury better than most picked.
Russell different option.
Ringrose.better than others picked.
Coaches choice as always.

I disagree with the players you mentioned as being lucky but agree on the 3 unlucky ones. Clear Gatland is looking as EJ finishers, Sinkler was a stand out performer, he won't start any games but is impressive coming of the bench.

Genuinely p*ssed off about Launchbury being legitimately left out, not due to marriage commitments. Undoubtedly the best lock in the NH ATM, I just don't understand why Gats hasn't taken him, it can't be pinned on Welsh bias. As others have said, he had a better 6N than Itoje and Lawes, Kruis hasn't played in months and even when he was in form, didn't match Launchbury's current form. And Hendo isn't even a lock. Sorry for the rant but I really feel for the guy. It's gutting.

I think we're gonna be soundly beaten in three tests and maybe a dirt tracker or two, but I'm not particularly ****** off at any selections bar the lack of Launchbury. Just don't think we have the quality in most spots. Still imagine we did down them though. Be some craic. I'd start the team Tigs had with Furlong in for 'using your gut to keep you up doesn't count t as supporting your own weight' Cole, who I'm actually a big fan of. Furlong has the mobility and rounded game for the AB's. Cole good at rucks but given how the breakdown is viewed in the SH I don't think he'll get the chance.

I've gone for what I think should be the Lions 1st Test team, and what I expect the ABs team to be, and done a bit of a comparison, as my initial thoughts were there's barely a Lions player who would make the ABs team. Turned out that was some Kiwi hubris!

1. M. Vunipola v Moody - Both excellent scrummagers and strong in the loose, with the powerful running of Mako matching well to the ball handling skills of Moody. Both can also cause chaos at the breakdown getting over the ball and being unmovable. I'll call it EVENS

2. Owens v Coles - Coles is a better open field runner, strong at the scrum and straight at the line-out. Owens had a good 6 nations but I don't see him being successful in open play compared to Coles. +1 AB

3. Furlong v Franks - Franks didn't play against Furlong in Chicago and NZ lost; go figure. He's been a stalwart for NZ and is a ferocious tackler and scrummager. Furlong has been playing very well the last 12 months and was incredible against the ABs, so explosive as a runner. Because of this, I think Furlong just edges it. +1 BILs

4. AWJ v Retellick - Retellick is the best lock in the world, AWJ is a dog and will tackle all day but he's not going to out-fight the former WPOTY. Retellick wins it. +1 AB

5. Itoje v Whitelock - Pretty even here I'd say. I'd take the ABs second row over the Lions one combined, and Itoje is undoubtedly a talent. However, Whitelock has lead the 'Saders very well this year and I expect to step up into the senior players group in the ABs comfortably. EVENS

6. O'Mahony v Kaino - I prefer POM here to Kaino. I know Kaino has been playing well this season with a less than successful blues team, but POM's performance against England shows what the boy can do. He'll be in scrapping like a terrier and while he may not have the ball skills of Kaino, I fancy him to have the beating of him. +1 BILs

7. Warburton v Cane/Savea - Savea has been tearing up trees down under, outplayed Cane recently and would be my pick for 7 due to his line running. Cane is the heir to McCaw and is very much the on the fringes player McCaw was, so it's a toss-up as to who plays there. Warburton really improved this 6 nations, but was outplayed against Scotland and before the 6 nations, when he was the captain, had been unremarkable. Either way it's an AB win. +1 ABs

8. B. Vunipola v Reid - I'd take Billy here purely due to his physicality. He makes meters when other wouldn't. I know Reid has been incredible for such a long time, but I worry about whether he's still got the phyiscality to compete with Billy, who is an absolute machine. +1 BILs

9. Murray v Perenara/Smith - Perenara is playing the best rugby at 9 in the world atm. His link-up play with Barrett is unreal. Murray can undoubtedly play well and I thought he dominated Smith in Chicago, and could do the same if Smith plays. So I'll make this all square as it comes down to which 9 the ABs play. EVENS

10. Sexton/Farrell v Barrett - BB is the best 10 in the world. +1 ABs

11. North v Savea - Savea after being pretty poor (and unfit) at the beginning of last season has not made the same mistake this time and been fantastic for the Canes this season. North has been volatile and for me his tackling positioning is so often poor. He can't get out of shape against Savea or it'll be another concussion for him. +1 ABs

12. Farrell/Henshaw v SBW/Crotty - I'm hedging bets here as 10/12/13 will depend on whether Gatland wants two 10s or not. SBW didn't show much in his first showing back from injury which is fair enough, and Crotty has been making line breaks this season and is excellent defensively, certainly enough to front up against Henshaw/Farrell. But I'm going to call this even as it all comes down to who the match-up is EVENS

13. Henshaw/JJ v Lienart-Brown - JJ has played 1 excellent game against an under-performing Scottish side at international level. If it's Henshaw I can see this being a brilliant tussle but if it's JJ, Lienart-Brown has excellent handling skills and has the pace to match JJ. So again a cop-out and EVENS

14. Williams v Naholo - Big fan of Liam Williams. Love his ability to step and the way he runs (with those bow-legs) makes him very difficult to tackle. Defensively he's also fairly solid. Naholo is still developing but his ability to finish is impeccable. I prefer his handling/offloading skills to Williams so overall I'll call it a draw. EVENS

15. Hogg v B Smith - Smith's defence and better skills under the high ball mean I think he'll be more important for the ABs than Hogg will be for the Lions. Sure Hogg will get line-breaks, but I think Smith will too but Smith will also be albe to save tries and release the pressure due to his skills under the high ball. +1 ABs

So I make that
ABs - 6
BILs - 3
EVENS - 6

When I came into this I actually thought it'd be much more one sided in favour of the ABs but there's going to be some really excellent match-ups right across the pitch. I still expect a 3-0 series victory for the ABs.

Healy Hartley Ryan
Launchbury Ryan
Haskell Conan Watson
Laidlaw Ford
Dunbar Ringrose
May Carbery Trimble

Best XV staying at home? (Hugely little effort went into this)

- - - Updated - - -

Healy Hartley Ryan
Launchbury Ryan
Haskell Conan Watson
Laidlaw Ford
Dunbar Ringrose
May Carbery Trimble

Healy Hartley Ryan
Launchbury Ryan
Haskell Conan Watson
Laidlaw Ford
Dunbar Ringrose
May Carbery Trimble

- - - Updated - - -

Healy Hartley Ryan
Launchbury Ryan
Haskell Conan Watson
Laidlaw Ford
Dunbar Ringrose
May Carbery Trimble

Tough choices have to be made. Short of selecting 90 players its impossible to please everyone

Healy Hartley Ryan
Launchbury Ryan
Haskell Conan Watson
Laidlaw Ford
Dunbar Ringrose
May Carbery Trimble

- - - Updated - - -

Healy Hartley Ryan
Launchbury Ryan
Haskell Conan Watson
Laidlaw Ford
Dunbar Ringrose
May Carbery Trimble

You bring great shame upon your house.

On a lighthearted note, BT Sport don't know what the island of Ireland looks like. To be fair the province of Ulster would be punching even more above their weight than Wales with 11 Lions.
18035533_10208620318487584_1988287741_n.jpg

On a lighthearted note, BT Sport don't know what the island of Ireland looks like. To be fair the province of Ulster would be punching even more above their weight than Wales with 11 Lions.

That is somethings I would make just to wind you lot up.

Re best staying at home XV I would have Davies in at 9 instead of Laidlaw.

The crowd that made a balls of HEC to make extra revenue and announce its less. BT never cease to amaze.

On squad do we reckon it's warrenball

The crowd that made a balls of HEC to make extra revenue and announce its less. BT never cease to amaze.

Not utterly convinced instill think it's a fair bet but you can pick a non Warrenball competitive team out of it......I'm hoping more than anything else.

Hopefully a couple of scares in the early games will show him that warrenball won't work in NZ

Hopefully a couple of scares in the early games will show him that warrenball won't work in NZ
Why would that happen? Seriously he's been Wales coach for 10 years and hasn't realised SH doesn't work against the SH and tried to mix it up. The only hope is that he does it due Wales' current players now he has personel not to he'll try something else. If the squad goes down Warrenball I don't think he'll go to an attacking playstyle.

Yeah, I think they're going for a big physical side. O Driscoll pointed out that our fly halves have been selected not for attacking ability but because they're all physical, big tacklers. Drico also reckons outside centre will be a toss-up between Davies and Henshaw. Also the surprise inclusion of Nowell (who I do think deserves it) suggests they are looking for defensive solidity all over the place.