• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 2: France vs Scotland (12/02/2017)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
6Nations.jpg

France.png
Versus%20Challenge.png
Scotland.png

Venue: Stade de France
Time: 15:00 GMT

A tough one for the Scots here. As much as people have been talking down France recently I do think it's been a little unfair. France should probably have won their game against England. They made something like 500 meters against England though their wastefulness killed them. They conceded something like 10 turn overs and gave away far too many penalties. With any sense of composure that's a game they should have been in a position to win.

I think if Scotland can keep the ball and move the French around the pitch then that is where we can best look to take advantage, the Glasgow games against Racing being a case in point. I can also see a couple of changes from the Scotland team, with Ford starting at 2, replacing Brown, and Barclay coming in to the back row, replacing Strauss, just for the chaos he can bring to the break down.

With any sense of composure that's a game they should have been in a position to win.

Aye, and with the Fairy Godmother all their meals would be protein bars that taste just like foie gras. This French team has the composure of an abandoned five year old and that will remain its main problem until it wins some games together.

This looks like one of the ones they will win though.

New coach, new approach. This French team is just starting out. It takes time and games to build a connection between the coaching vision and the players working toward that vision on the field.
France should win this game and it would be a big confidence boost for them going forward.

A 9 who can control both the forwards and backs has been sorely missed by France, as well as a 10 who can kick for field possession and organise those around him. I expect France to fair better as they become more cohesive.

New coach, new approach. This French team is just starting out. It takes time and games to build a connection between the coaching vision and the players working toward that vision on the field.
France should win this game and it would be a big confidence boost for them going forward.

The problem with the French is if their coach doesn't basically do what Jones has done for England and win everything straight away, the knives are out within weeks. The French national side are too busy chopping and changing coaches and players to settle.

The problem with the French is if their coach doesn't basically do what Jones has done for England and win everything straight away, the knives are out within weeks. The French national side are too busy chopping and changing coaches and players to settle.

Although i can agree that their have been problems with the French National team to say thay are choping and changing coaches is ridiculous as each coach has had a 4 yr tenure so how is that chopping and changing, no French coach was ever sacked, please get your facts right. This is a new start for France as it was for England, they are doing better, but France is on the mend and will become stronger. Time unfortunately is something that the French never really take onboard

Lower scoring that Scotland vs Ireland. But I'd make France here bigger favourites than Ireland were. I worry about Scotlands ability at the breakdown and retaining possession. I think France can grind down the Scottish forwards, then find spaces - so Scotland will need a lead again into the second half.

France will justifiably climb above SA and Wales in the rankings by the end of the 6N but aren't near the quality of a top 3 team yet - so Scotland have a chance.

Last edited:
Lower scoring that Scotland vs Ireland. But I'd make France here bigger favourites than Ireland were. I worry about Scotlands ability at the breakdown and retaining possession. I think France can grind down the Scottish forwards, then find spaces - so Scotland will need a lead again into the second half.

France will justifiably climb above SA and Wales in the rankings by the end of the 6N but aren't near the quality of a top 3 team yet - so Scotland have a chance.

Do we know what Scotland need to do in the 6N to get 8th spot before the WC draw? I read the article but it's not clear. Would wins against Wales and Italy likely suffice assuming both Ireland and England beat both France and Wales?

Scotland aren't the best equipped to deal with being smashed by massive blokes

If Scotland are as physical as last week it could stop France getting front foot ball. Lopez is a good fly half but I don't see him being able to unlock a defence.

A bit controversial but I don't know whether i'd have France as such big favourites as some people are shouting about. That Round 1 surprise element has gone and Scotland know how they're going to go at their game, sounds like in prep and tactically, England got it all wrong.

If Scotland can get their gameplan bang on (We all know Cotter can) then I can see this being a lot closer, Scotland are the dark horse this year. They just need to keep an 80 minute performance this week, but starting strong will help.

A bit controversial but I don't know whether i'd have France as such big favourites as some people are shouting about. That Round 1 surprise element has gone and Scotland know how they're going to go at their game, sounds like in prep and tactically, England got it all wrong.

If Scotland can get their gameplan bang on (We all know Cotter can) then I can see this being a lot closer, Scotland are the dark horse this year. They just need to keep an 80 minute performance this week, but starting strong will help.

Agreed. The Glasgow players should take some confidence from their win at Racing where on paper they were up against a heavier and stronger pack. Tactics and gameplan are key and we have to move them around the pitch and limit the potential damage our weakened front row might cause in the scrum. Laidlaw and particularly Russell's game management will be key.

Do we know what Scotland need to do in the 6N to get 8th spot before the WC draw? I read the article but it's not clear. Would wins against Wales and Italy likely suffice assuming both Ireland and England beat both France and Wales?

I don't know for sure. But beating Ireland must mean if they avoid losing to Italy, Scotland will be top 8. I'd imagine France might have to beat Italy plus one other team to be safe. Argentina really collapsed horribly in the rankings and it would take some heavy losses at home for France and Scotland to really plummet into contention for 9th place.

If Scotland beat France then they are basically safe, assuming they don't lose to Italy. Losing to Wales wouldn't be enough to send them below Argentina, even if France started winning.

If Scotland lose then they'll still be ahead of Argentina but would need to beat Wales to keep it that way.

They are too many points behind England for losing at Twickenham to matter.

From a French point of view, winning would probably see them be fine (again, unless they lose to Italy) but if they lose then they will need to win in Dublin or smash Wales to get back into the top 8.

Scotland aren't the best equipped to deal with being smashed by massive blokes

Scotland have shown over the last couple of seasons that up front they hold their own The Gray brothers in th boiler house re hardly shrinking violets . The back row permutations are considerable with Barclay and Watson dynamic all over the park whilst Wilson has a developed Warriors pedigree that will stand him in good stead. Swinson although primarily a second row plays number eight and again aint no powder puff. Warriors spread the ball wide against Racing. Reckon Scotland will move it similarly .Do not under estimate the French as did Le Rostbif last week but can take this one if we keep our cool !

Agreed. The Glasgow players should take some confidence from their win at Racing where on paper they were up against a heavier and stronger pack. Tactics and gameplan are key and we have to move them around the pitch and limit the potential damage our weakened front row might cause in the scrum. Laidlaw and particularly Russell's game management will be key.

i've heard this argument before, there is one player from racing in the french squad and racing is currently 10th in the table

this team is primarily clermont, la rochelle, and toulouse... all a clear step above racing

i've heard this argument before, there is one player from racing in the french squad and racing is currently 10th in the table

this team is primarily clermont, la rochelle, and toulouse... all a clear step above racing

Are you saying the win against Racing shouldn't any breed confidence because the opposition will include better individual players who have yet to show a prolonged run of form in terms of results and playing as a cohesive unit for France? Winning breeds confidence even if the next challenge is tougher and the win against Racing will provide a positive reference experience when it comes to going to France and overcoming a bigger and stronger pack.

Last edited:

Latest posts