• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Rugby Championship] Round 5: South Africa v Australia (30/09/2017)

I don't know if I should be happy or furious with the result. It was certainly a massive improvement from our last game, but we made so many mistakes, it was really hard to watch.

Naas Botha pointed out something interesting during halftime, with regard to Folau's try. He showed that Elton Jantjies stands very close to the scrum, nearly behind Cronje when there is a blind side to look at. But in this case, the blind side was so small, there was no need for him to stand where he was standing, and should've joined the line in defence. What happened was that a training pitch move was executed prefectly, and Cronje and Serfontein had to try and plug a gap where Elton was supposed to stand. Now the issue is, why is Elton standing there in the first place?? does he not trust the flankers and wingers and even the scrumhalf to stop the gap should they go blindside?? Or does he doubt his own defensive capabilities when defending his channel?? For me that's a bit of both. And I'm sure New Zealand will look at the same clip over and over, and try to exploit his channel even more. That along with that final kick, cost us the game.

As for the rest of the game, same problems as usual. Our Hooker can't throw in, Our Captain doesn't lead by example (although I would also have taken exception for the blatant hair pull on Leyds). Our tactics were poor.

What I couldn't understand was why was Elton taking the kicks in our own 22 when we got penalties, and not Coetzee. We were playing at altitude dammit! Coetzee's monster boot would've given us way more territory, while Elton kept on kicking short and made sure it was out, to prevent the Aussie Back 3 from running back at us.

I had no problem with the referee, although I think Folau deserved a card, and if there were any visual evidence of Etzebeth doing something unbecoming, also give him a yellow. But maybe @smartcooky might help me here. At some point in the game, Hooper made a tackle, got up behind the tackled player (meaning he was on the Springboks side of the ruck had there been one) and tried to steal the ball, and got a rewarded with a penalty. I was under the impression with the new laws, Hooper had to come through the gate to steal the ball? Or was it because there was no ruck, that he was allowed to do it?

it pains me to say it, but it appears that we are just as good as Australia, and not better, 2 games and 2 draws.

Latest posts