• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Six Nations] - England

Surprised wood is still there,
Presume may will be for the chop, be interesting to see who starts on the wings. Nowell HAS to, so out of position Daly vs just back from injury Watson for the other?

The 24 as expected but still poses some interesting scenarios. Will mako make the start. Will Waton be in the 23 shirt with Daly and Nowell starting on the wings (seems likely as Daly has been in stellar form). Will Hughes be a straight swap at 8 for Billy after 60/70 mins or could Jones go for the two big ball carriers together and play Hughes at 6 alongside Billy with Itoje switching to the 2nd row. Unlikely given the circumstances, but options we didn't have before for sure.

Assuming Billy starts, Wood was getting picked ahead of Hughes in the autumn as a flanker so I expect if Itoje goes back into the second row (unlikely with the way Lawes and Launchbury are playing) I think we'd still see Hughes on the bench. Haskell is the second carrier in the back row, and having all three (BV, Hughes, Haskell) in there looks overly heavy and unbalanced.

Looking back at the AIs, our team vs Argentina had Te'o and Slade as 22/23 so that's not to be ruled out if Watson isn't fit. Slade came on for Brown in that game.

Last edited:
Assuming Billy starts, Wood was getting picked ahead of Hughes in the autumn as a flanker so I expect if Itoje goes back into the second row (unlikely with the way Lawes and Launchbury are playing) I think we'd still see Hughes on the bench. Haskell is the second carrier in the back row, and having all three (BV, Hughes, Haskell) in there looks overly heavy and unbalanced.

Looking back at the AIs, our team vs Argentina had Te'o and Slade as 22/23 so that's not to be ruled out if Watson isn't fit. Slade came on for Brown in that game.
Agreed about the balance. Think Slade has gone back to Chiefs though. So it seems as though Watson is fit .

Wood was ahead of Hughes in the Autumn, there's been a lot of rugby (and international rugby) since then. I can't see us changing the Launch Lawes Itoje just yet, so I'd guess it's just a question of Hughes vs Billy on the bench.

I know I posted last, but it was two days ago.

Just wanted to point out that according to the stats straight after the game, Hughes vs Wales made more meters, as many breaks and beat the same number as defenders, as all 3 of the Irish starting backrow (that's SOB, Stander and Heaslip) put together, and in half as many carries.,

Just wanted to point out that according to the stats straight after the game, Hughes vs Wales made more meters, as many breaks and beat the same number as defenders, as all 3 of the Irish starting backrow (that's SOB, Stander and Heaslip) put together, and in half as many carries.,

Don't upset the Irish! Their boat has been well and truly sunk tonight ! Haha

Stander has looked good in the games I've watched but Heaslip and SOB look odd the pace. Heaslip shouldn't get a look in at all for the lions with the only her great candidates and I'm slowly seeing that SOB isn't a 7.

61.28 is the release, release, release, tackle only. I'll check for the one he actually got pinged for now.

He also got people pinged in the first 10 for being offside :lol: when an obvious ruck was formed.

There's one at 1.30m which Barnes allows as a tackle only (an Irishman lays his hands on the ruck, but then backs off).

8.04m What the hell was SOB thinking there then? He's staring at Stander getting cleared out. Shouting "Tackle Only!".

I do love it when other teams go how stupid England are for not know the rules and then go and **** it up themselves :D

I do love it when other teams go how stupid England are for not know the rules and then go and **** it up themselves :D

I'm not sure the other teams did any such thing did they? their thoughts were probably more along the lines of "there, but for the grace of gods, go we"
Fans of other teams certainly did; but then, so did plenty of England fans - and rightly so; it was utterly embarrassing and infuriating.

I'm not sure the other teams did any such thing did they? their thoughts were probably more along the lines of "there, but for the grace of gods, go we"
Fans of other teams certainly did; but then, so did plenty of England fans - and rightly so; it was utterly embarrassing and infuriating.

Did you read the link I posted? It's SOB stating that he knows the laws and he'd have reacted in the right way. The fact that England basically did react in the right way (which was missed by far more people than it should have been), and that he then goes on to screw up twice in very clear situations in his next game, suggests he'd have been better off not talking.

Did you read the link I posted? It's SOB stating that he knows the laws and he'd have reacted in the right way. The fact that England basically did react in the right way (which was missed by far more people than it should have been), and that he then goes on to screw up twice in very clear situations in his next game, suggests he'd have been better off not talking.
Nope, so many links, I tend not to open them unless they sound actively interesting to me - so I missed that; sorry.
As you were then.

Just realising how neatly this lions tour will work out for eddie jones.

A lot of big players will be missing, but the summer tour to Argentina will be a great time to start switching out the old guard for some newer more dynamic players.
I can see the likes of Dan Cole ending up a squad filler on the lions for instance, leaving sinckler to start some games. We may have the likes of Watson daly or nowell at FB, maybe they'll take Hartley and George will get a look in. Might even see a slade/teo centre combination, and a new scrum half too

Just realising how neatly this lions tour will work out for eddie jones.

A lot of big players will be missing, but the summer tour to Argentina will be a great time to start switching out the old guard for some newer more dynamic players.
I can see the likes of Dan Cole ending up a squad filler on the lions for instance, leaving sinckler to start some games. We may have the likes of Watson daly or nowell at FB, maybe they'll take Hartley and George will get a look in. Might even see a slade/teo centre combination, and a new scrum half too

If I was in charge of the lions Jamie George would be starting ..... but that's for another thread

Latest posts