• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Six Nations] - England

It depends on how you feel about tackling and rucking. Hartley did a huge amount of rucking (and more than his fair share of tackling) for the time he was on the pitch.

I don't see a massive drop off in the quality of rucking and tackling when George replaces Hartley, and I think that George brings more dynamism and is more mobile. If you only have those two hookers then you would play them in the same order that England do; Hartley starts to keep things tight, George finishes when it's fast and loose. But the lions have other hookers available for selection and I think that means that George is on the plane and Hartley isn't.

I don't see a massive drop off in the quality of rucking and tackling when George replaces Hartley, and I think that George brings more dynamism and is more mobile. If you only have those two hookers then you would play them in the same order that England do; Hartley starts to keep things tight, George finishes when it's fast and loose. But the lions have other hookers available for selection and I think that means that George is on the plane and Hartley isn't.

Do you watch it closely? I never appreciate the effort a player puts into the breakdown unless I'm watching for it. I did the ruck marks until Hartley went off the first time, and he was by far an away our best breakdown guy. His tackle rate was also above all the other starters but for Launch I believe.

Do you watch it closely? I never appreciate the effort a player puts into the breakdown unless I'm watching for it. I did the ruck marks until Hartley went off the first time, and he was by far an away our best breakdown guy. His tackle rate was also above all the other starters but for Launch I believe.

I admit I didn't track Hartley that closely in the Scotland game. Did you stop the ruck marks completely, or do you have the comparison figures when George was on?

- - - Updated - - -

I admit I didn't track Hartley that closely in the Scotland game. Did you stop the ruck marks completely, or do you have the comparison figures when George was on?

I stopped. Was doing it for a discussion on Hughes. And it's a lot of work and whilst interesting not an enjoyable way to watch a game.

So supposedly it looks like Haskell and some of the older lads may be finishing with England.

Haskell this morning:

[FONT=&amp]"England will look to change the dynamics and will be looking at the back row, and that might mean some of the older boys step aside.."

So Robshaw, Wood and Haskell retiring as internationals?[/FONT]

So supposedly it looks like Haskell and some of the older lads may be finishing with England.

Haskell this morning:

[FONT=&amp]"England will look to change the dynamics and will be looking at the back row, and that might mean some of the older boys step aside.."

I hope not. Haskell still has 3 seasons in him and I believe Robshaw is still in his 20s. You can get rid of wood.

Robshaw is 30.

There's no reason for Wood to be involved in any capacity, and many why he shouldn't.

Haskell does a job, there are others who could probably do the job and potentially more.

Haskell this morning:

[FONT=&]"England will look to change the dynamics and will be looking at the back row, and that might mean some of the older boys step aside.."

Interesting! I doubt this would be a blanket approach. I don't think we can go on playing 2 chunky blindsides for very long but there should be room for Robshaw or Haskell (not both). Wood can do one, obviously.

I'd like to be able to move on from Haskell, but I'm not convinced anyone you brought in would pull off the same job defensively.

Fearns is 4yrs younger and could easily slot into the Haskell mould.

You've always had a thing for fearns! :p

I'd like someone with a bit of pace in the backrow. We have enough lumps in the pack already. Guy Thompson is the sort of player but at 28 he's hardly the future and may also just not be international class. Probably we'll never know

Fearns should definitely be seriously looked at - covering 6/8 on the bench, or for fielding a monster back row starting at 6 - the same goes for Ewers.

Underhill - physically dominant, fast, and can actually rugby.

Lots of guys about who have much higher ceilings than some of the incumbents, Ceviche, Clifford... and a fair few other guys coming out of the age-groups.

Robshaw is 30.

There's no reason for Wood to be involved in any capacity, and many why he shouldn't.

Haskell does a job, there are others who could probably do the job and potentially more.

OK but 30 isn't retirement age for a flank forward I would probably say he's hitting he peak over the next 2 year's.

Fearns has been one of the stand out 8's in the top 14.

Seems to always be in the midi top 14 team of the round.

Just hope Glous don't **** him up.

Kvesic still only 24 and I still rate him highly. Was great on the Saxons tour last year. I think with a physical 6 and 7 Kvesic could do a great job for England.

Haven't seen as much of Underhill but everyone raves about him. Good enough to play 6 or deffo an out and out 7?

at this point are we giving up on kev? Been a while since i've seen him play

****. No.

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't seen as much of Underhill but everyone raves about him. Good enough to play 6 or deffo an out and out 7?

More a 6 who can play 7, in my mind.

But yes... he looks outstanding, and dare I say it... would complement Kvesic well.
Because he'd allow you to push the pace of your playstyle, without sacrificing physicality... or conversely, be more confrontational without losing rugby playing ability.

Interestingly enough, Underhill reminds me a lot of Kvesic, in that they could play across the back row depending on how you set up their conditioning and tell them what to do.

Last edited:

Latest posts