• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Six Nations] England Squad

I personally think and hope I'm wrong that Nowell's destined to wear the 23 shirt for England, I hate the term utility back, but I suspect and fear (as a chiefs fan) that's what may happen, with Watson becoming the starting FB at some point and 4 - 5 names in the mix for the wings...

One thing ive always liked about nowell as a winger is he has such a workrate amd joins the line and works to get back in defence, as a 13 will he be able to have the same workrate.

I hope it works well but i cant see him being our first choice 13 but i eould have him over may on the wing. He will unfortunatly end up owning the 23 shirt as cover for 11 13 14 15. And tuilagi/teo as a 12 cover.

Not convinced by it but hope im wrong

I personally think and hope I'm wrong that Nowell's destined to wear the 23 shirt for England, I hate the term utility back, but I suspect and fear (as a chiefs fan) that's what may happen, with Watson becoming the starting FB at some point and 4 - 5 names in the mix for the wings...

Seems like a fair shout to me. The clubs hold too many trump cards in England, which is to the detriment of the players, I believe that Jack is an example of someone caught in the middle. In an ideal (hypothetical) world, Jones would say that he sees Nowell's future at 13, Exeter would start playing him there and working with the England camp to develop him as the kind of 13 they want. Given that the England camp aren't in a position to dictate to the clubs, I'm an advocate of them dictating to the players themselves (hence my comment about the players being caught in the middle) along the lines of "get Exeter to play you at 13, find a club who will or seriously hamper your international prospects".

Remember when Austin Healy said Nowell should've been moved to 7...

Seems like a fair shout to me. The clubs hold too many trump cards in England, which is to the detriment of the players, I believe that Jack is an example of someone caught in the middle. In an ideal (hypothetical) world, Jones would say that he sees Nowell's future at 13, Exeter would start playing him there and working with the England camp to develop him as the kind of 13 they want. Given that the England camp aren't in a position to dictate to the clubs, I'm an advocate of them dictating to the players themselves (hence my comment about the players being caught in the middle) along the lines of "get Exeter to play you at 13, find a club who will or seriously hamper your international prospects".
Haven't they done tha with slade chiefs can only play 1 outside centre

Well, kinda.
First Slade played 13 for about 4 years with the occasional experiment at 10.
Then Eddie says "I think he's a 13"

Well, kinda.
First Slade played 13 for about 4 years with the occasional experiment at 10.
Then Eddie says "I think he's a 13"
At the time Baxter was using him as the substitute 10 still does and a lot of people were calling for him to replace Farrell

Yup, before we'd really seen him at 12, which on paper has always looked like the position that best suits his talents. It's his (few) appearances there that have stopped those calls, not Eddie's comments IMO

That may happen, but not until some of those 4/5 deserve a starting spot more than Nowell, which isnt the case at the moment.
Nowell has proved his worth over the last couple of years in an England shirt. The others (Watson and Daly aside) havent- yet.
If Watson goes to fb , Nowell starts for me. He can still cover the other positions if need be.

Indeed, but of whose volition? Either way this illustrates my point. If it is of Baxter's volition, then Exeter doing what's best for them is getting in the way of what's best for England, if it is of Jones volition, then either Slade of Nowell needs to bite the bullet and find a club where they will be first choice if they want to look after their international career's best interests (a massive wrench for either no doubt).

We have other options for 13 and I can't really see what Nowell's USP would be there. Slade's got a good passing and kicking game, Manu if fit has his power, Daly has serious gas and good kicking and JJ his defence (one day he'll remember what a good attacker he can be too). Depending on how you want to play you might rank him above some of those at any one time, but probably never all of them.

And maybe like Slade at 12, he'll look great on paper, but not be such great shakes on grass anyway. We just don't know yet.

His pace rules him out as a starting wing for me. I think the 23 shirt is right when everyone's fit. No shame in that, but much as I like him I just don't see him ever as an undisputed first choice in any position.

We have other options for 13 and I can't really see what Nowell's USP would be there. Slade's got a good passing and kicking game, Manu if fit has his power, Daly has serious gas and good kicking and JJ his defence (one day he'll remember what a good attacker he can be too). Depending on how you want to play you might rank him above some of those at any one time, but probably never all of them.

And maybe like Slade at 12, he'll look great on paper, but not be such great shakes on grass anyway. We just don't know yet.

His pace rules him out as a starting wing for me. I think the 23 shirt is right when everyone's fit. No shame in that, but much as I like him I just don't see him ever as an undisputed first choice in any position.
For sure if every one is fit and brown plays he doesn't make the squad

"England train with a back three of Denny Solomona, Anthony Watson and Jonny May as they continue to monitor Mike Brown."

Potentially rapid back three, against Italy it could be devastating if they get it right.

"England train with a back three of Denny Solomona, Anthony Watson and Jonny May as they continue to monitor Mike Brown."

Potentially rapid back three, against Italy it could be devastating if they get it right.

Yeah, need good front foot ball and distribution.

Wouldn't play both May AND solomona with Watson against good sides though.