• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England vs France (13/03/21)

The language is English, we're English so we can do whatever we like with it alrite?
1615672878823.gif

Agree about Farrell, I thought he was pretty average to be honest but all of the match reports I've read are claiming he played well which has baffled me.
I always find player ratings interesting (though not accurate or really useful).

Sky sports gave Slade an 8 yet he missed 5 tackles. Also gave Farrell an 8 which is beyond me. Also only gave Watson a 7.
Guardian and Mail give Farrell a 7 which I personally think is generous.
Mail gave Malins a 5 which I think is harsh.
More I look at Sky the more ridiculous it is. Mako got an 8...
Billy also got an 8, but it's their comments that are ridiculous. "Grew in stature as the match went on and became increasingly effective. Knocked defenders back like skittles." When?
Mail gave Mako a 6, but wrote this, "Gave away England's first penalty – after 24 minutes – but solid afternoon at set piece and the odd carry." Didn't he give away all 3 of England's penalties at the scrum?
I'd say the guardian actually gets closest to my views (player ratings that is).

I bet Farrell gets higher ratings as he's the kicker so that's the main thing they notice as opposed to him offering very little in open play.

The official 6N stats seem real fucky,
They've got Malins down as 1 tackle in the whole game - he definitely made more than that (and even if he attempted/missed the others - they've got him down as 0 missed)

Very enjoyable game. Good ref. Nothing wrong with England's attacking ability when they keep ball in hand.

Les Bleus SANK in 2nd half. Lack of match fitness. 3 pt scored in 40'! Good bench but on too late. Why give Camille Chat a run with only 8' left?This comes down to Galthie's coaching and the wafflegate. The FFR's culture of exoneration 'we're in charge but never responsible' bought him a lifeline. The union are always the architect of their own downfall. Galthie's the weak link. Not the players. The 6N is still on but Galthie has been riding his luck.

No more talk of a GS is a good thing. It'll focus the group and shut up the media talking heads.

Time to regroup and prepare for Wales. I'd pick the same 23.

Very enjoyable game. Good ref. Nothing wrong with England's attacking ability when they keep ball in hand.

Les Bleus SANK in 2nd half. Lack of match fitness. 3 pt scored in 40'! Good bench but on too late. Why give Camille Chat a run with only 8' left?This comes down to Galthie's coaching and the wafflegate. The FFR's culture of exoneration 'we're in charge but never responsible' bought him a lifeline. The union are always the architect of their own downfall. Galthie's the weak link. Not the players. The 6N is still on but Galthie has been riding his luck.

No more talk of a GS is a good thing. It'll focus the group and shut up the media talking heads.

Time to regroup and prepare for Wales. I'd pick the same 23.
So this is the bit that hasn't been said much. Did Les Bleu's sink or was it that they didn't execute?

So first half was outrageous. That's the best rugby I've seen from 2 teams since... probably Eng vs NZ semi. Second half, I think both coaches said apply pressure, kick them into their half, get territory, get penalties, kick goals etc. Make it easy for yourself. So both teams did this but I think what happened was France lost the kicking battle for the first time in a long time. England kicked well and controlled the game well. Kept the pressure on tactically and physically until it eventually told. France lost the battle tactically and were pushed back until they broke.

Btw - it really isn't too dissimilar to how it finished in Paris last year against England and the french B team against England in the autumn. England were finishing the game very strong tactically and france were either clinging on or it was too much.

Not to say france weren't brilliant, the game wasn't that good without france being outstanding (especially the defence wow) but it's noticeable now in 3 games that England have finished much stronger.

That was better, a lot better. Where was that performance against Scotland and Wales?

I didn't expect a win today although I hoped for it. France are a fine team that will be all the better for losing today. It may even wake up Galthie to using his bench properly. They will certainly be a big favourite for the 2023 RWC.
I expect them to beat both Wales and Scotland.

A few thoughts on England.
Positives -: Curry had a blinder and was MOtM for me. Youngs too had an excellent game and Ewells wasn't out of place. Wilson, May, Slade and Watson all caught the eye. Kicking from hand much improved instead of the aimless kicks to be run back at them. Discipline better, but penalty count still too high. Best they have played in a long time.

Negatives -: Mako still struggling in the scrum although making gains in the loose. If only Marler had made himself available. Genge still to convince me. Farrell should be benched. Apart from his kicking from the tee, he produced little, missed tackles and just doesn't add much to the team. Malins looks OK in defence but Daly still a better bet going forward. But worth persevering with. Furbank was cast off quickly so give Malins a few games. Plenty on here, me included were clamouring for his inclusion.

Same 23 for Ireland please, but start Lawrence.
I'm far from Farrell's biggest fan but his place kicking was flawless, he had the equal second highest tackle count in the side and made 18 passes - some of which had very nice delays to create space.

He definitely played his part today Imho.

Farrells missed tackle count, I feel, is partially overstated as well

In a blitz defence (as Sarries have, and as Mitchell, traditionally, likes) the first man isn't necessarily there to make the hit but there to force a rushed decision - if he makes the hit then great, he's tackled them behind the gainline, if not then his presence has disrupted the natural flow of the oppositions attack, forcing the receiver to make a pass he doesn't necessarily want to, or step to miss the rush defence and giving the defensive line another half second to close the gap
It was similar at Sale when Mitchell was there for his 2nd stint - Sam Tuitupou is a fantastic defender but regularly topped the missed tackle charts because he was our leader on the blitz (as Farrell is for England)

I'm not excusing Farrell's defence, because he definitely missed some tackles you'd want him to make, but I think looking solely at stats can be deceiving
The stats have Tom Curry as making 6, missing 4 - I wouldn't class him as a bad defender or anything close to one, and I definitely wouldn't have said he had a bad or even average game today, but those stats are...pretty dire, really

The official 6N stats seem real fucky,
They've got Malins down as 1 tackle in the whole game - he definitely made more than that (and even if he attempted/missed the others - they've got him down as 0 missed)
They usually continue to update the stats over the 24 hours afterwards. Wait until the downloadable match report comes out and he'll probably have more.

After the first game George went from 2 to 9 tackles overnight.

So this is the bit that hasn't been said much. Did Les Bleu's sink or was it that they didn't execute?
They sank physically. You can't execute if you don't have the legs for it. They were shot at HT. Galthie failed to recognise that. His coaching shud have started much earlier and with the whole bench. That was expected after 4 weeks off. It was one of the talking point of the week.
He let his side down twice. Once with the wafflegate and again with his coaching. The bench could have misfired of course but with fresher legs on the team had a better chance. Keeping some of the forwards on like Marchand who was everywhere in first half backfired badly.
I don't expect Fabien to put his hand up. His post game interview says he won't. It's not in his make-up. But for me this defeat is his, not the players.

Last edited:
Still think the backline needs some more power to create just that little bit more space. Yesterday a lotvofvthecmovementvwas sideways with no direct threat

Still think the backline needs some more power to create just that little bit more space. Yesterday a lotvofvthecmovementvwas sideways with no direct threat
This Lawrence fella we hear of but scarcely see might offer this illusive power you speak ok.

This Lawrence fella we hear of but scarcely see might offer this illusive power you speak ok.
Agree, regardless of offides etc, the French 2nd try was a great example of how to use the threat of a big runner, holds defence and creates space.

Agree, regardless of offides etc, the French 2nd try was a great example of how to use the threat of a big runner, holds defence and creates space.
Yeah it was quality play for sure, sometimes you just have to credit the opposition on a great bit of play, the execution was on point, defences can back off Faz at 12 for sure as he offers little running threat of any kind.

Surely you're not suggesting that even if we were to make some/necessary adjustments... that we would still have no chance of beating this team that so bravely just... lost... to the team, that we... erm just beat!?!?

View attachment 9823

I'm not sure what I'm saying I thought I posted that in the Welsh thread, mind you I was rather intoxicated at the time Hic.