• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Scotland vs Ireland (14/03/21)

One thing I will say is that every sub apart from Burns is someone I fully back to be able to do something special.

No delirah with that at all. Din't get what I wanted in Larmour, Kilcoyne and Kelleher. Yeah yeah dynamic bench, how about having dynamic starters. Think Porter is unlucky too to just get dropped because Furlong is fit again.

To be honest way I look at it.
Alot of people are shocked Earls starting but based on stats and performances. He is probably been the best of the 3. I think Lowe has done well but has had alot of errors too. And Larmour (and this might not be a popular opinion) has way too many holes in his game at moment. In Thomond Park a few weeks ago this was exploited by a poor Munster performance. And I think that is what is holding him back.
As for Earls. I'm huge fan and think he will do fine. Most here know I defend him but equally have said he should be ushered out. But fact is nobody has also forced him out. If the 2 Ulster lads were up to speed I would've expected a different story.
15,12,13 no real shock or argument. Murray is much better than JGP but again Murray has been poor and JGP just as bad so it won't make difference.

Pack is meh. Hard to argue as not a whole lot to argue. Like fact is Italian game is hard to read in to as they are awful.

What's you Irish boys views on Beirne at 6? I'm a massive fan of his so would be a "just get him on anywhere on the pitch" kind of person but I'm not seen enough of him at 6 really. Was good last run out to be fair. 4 to 8 is insanely strong. Whole pack is ridiculous to be honest. Think you'll win this comfortably.
I'm a big fan of him there. Helps with the size of our pack, which can be underpowered with O'Mahoney there, and also gives another lineout option. Plus it gets Beirne on the pitch without losing one of our second rows.

To be honest way I look at it.
Alot of people are shocked Earls starting but based on stats and performances. He is probably been the best of the 3. I think Lowe has done well but has had alot of errors too. And Larmour (and this might not be a popular opinion) has way too many holes in his game at moment. In Thomond Park a few weeks ago this was exploited by a poor Munster performance. And I think that is what is holding him back.
As for Earls. I'm huge fan and think he will do fine. Most here know I defend him but equally have said he should be ushered out. But fact is nobody has also forced him out. If the 2 Ulster lads were up to speed I would've expected a different story.
15,12,13 no real shock or argument. Murray is much better than JGP but again Murray has been poor and JGP just as bad so it won't make difference.

Pack is meh. Hard to argue as not a whole lot to argue. Like fact is Italian game is hard to read in to as they are awful.
What pack would you pick?

What pack would you pick?
Well Kilcoyne over Healy. Just as Healy is done but happy with this way too but Healy has 30mins so that is why I'd do Kilcoyne at start.
2. Herring is better in tight and basics so agree with this as Kelleher better for when game opens up.
3. Porter/Furlong - Both up there so hard to argue.
4/5. Both are correct. Baird could make impact.
6/7/8 - Well it is probably the best balanced available. Beirne has been one of our best players, Connors deserves start and CJ miles ahead. Don't rate Conan as high as some and may have had Ruddock on bench but as I predicted few weeks ago Ruddock would be back carrying tackle bags and POM will be back in at 7 or 20 next week.

What's you Irish boys views on Beirne at 6? I'm a massive fan of his so would be a "just get him on anywhere on the pitch" kind of person but I'm not seen enough of him at 6 really. Was good last run out to be fair. 4 to 8 is insanely strong. Whole pack is ridiculous to be honest. Think you'll win this comfortably.

I've been calling for him to play there for a while. Brings most of POMs pluses with an actual attacking threat. There was also questions about his physicality in the row against the likes of England and SA although he seems a bit heavier to my eye recently.

He maybe lacks a bit of agility there but I'm very happy for him to continue at 6 for the moment. There will be some hard choices when Doris comes back though. Beirne probably not helped by Munster being unlikely to play him at 6 even if I think their best pack next season would have him there.

I've been calling for him to play there for a while. Brings most of POMs pluses with an actual attacking threat. There was also questions about his physicality in the row against the likes of England and SA although he seems a bit heavier to my eye recently.

He maybe lacks a bit of agility there but I'm very happy for him to continue at 6 for the moment. There will be some hard choices when Doris comes back though. Beirne probably not helped by Munster being unlikely to play him at 6 even if I think their best pack next season would have him there.
He will play there at times next year to when RG is fit. Although Fineen is more likely to be 6 exclusively.

I could see Snyman coming back fit forcing Munster to play him at 6 a bit more. Can hardly drop him from the team in his current form.

EwR9fDfWEAMr_X9.jpeg

I'm in two minds of Maitland over Graham, but hey ho I don't see much much better overall

Scotland's biggest issue maybe not much could get for 10 with Hastings currently banned

Meh. Herring and Earls are living charmed lives right now. The rest is grand.
Just on that. Like statistically who would you put in instead of them. Like I know you may say Kelleher and Larmour. I'd agree on Kelleher and disagree on Larmour. Not saying Earls deserves the start either.
But these are all as you could say personal preference but my biggest worry that was highlighted by a few in media today is the likes of Larmour, Kelleher and other young guys are not really forcing the changes to be made with performances.
Kilcoyne - I want him in ahead of Healy but the same he hasn't forced people to take note.

Yes Earls has been terrible but has Larmour really outshone or outplayed him. In my opinion no and is lucky that the Ulster boys are only regaining fitness or he would not be in the 23. Same with Herring/Kelleher. Kelleher has not forced the change.
On the opposite look at Beirne - Played so well it was crystal clear he needs to be in team, Doris broke down the door and got the 8 jersey, Porter I'd argue the same and feel for him not starting.

Just on that. Like statistically who would you put in instead of them. Like I know you may say Kelleher and Larmour. I'd agree on Kelleher and disagree on Larmour. Not saying Earls deserves the start either.
But these are all as you could say personal preference but my biggest worry that was highlighted by a few in media today is the likes of Larmour, Kelleher and other young guys are not really forcing the changes to be made with performances.
Kilcoyne - I want him in ahead of Healy but the same he hasn't forced people to take note.

Yes Earls has been terrible but has Larmour really outshone or outplayed him. In my opinion no and is lucky that the Ulster boys are only regaining fitness or he would not be in the 23. Same with Herring/Kelleher. Kelleher has not forced the change.
On the opposite look at Beirne - Played so well it was crystal clear he needs to be in team, Doris broke down the door and got the 8 jersey, Porter I'd argue the same and feel for him not starting.
Earls made less metres than any Irish player not in the front row in the second half v Italy, gave away the field position v Wales for one of their tries and dropped a high ball unopposed and was anonymous v France. It's a negative selection, at least Larmour is improving week on week since his return from injury and isn't y'know ancient.

Any reason I shouldn't?
Wasn't meant to sounds sarcastic, just thought you might have an appraisal of your teams strengths that's more nuanced than mine!

Obviously you guys have better form this season, but we have history and our players have beaten a lot of yours in the pro14 this season.

Wasn't meant to sounds sarcastic, just thought you might have an appraisal of your teams strengths that's more nuanced than mine!

Obviously you guys have better form this season, but we have history and our players have beaten a lot of yours in the pro14 this season.
Can't see us winning unless Ireland play very badly. Starting team is decent (though WP is increasingly a passenger), but Ireland have repeatedly shown themselves to be stronger.

Our bench isn't great so if it's close at 60 I expect you'll start to pull away then.

Latest posts