• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] France vs England - 16/03/24

So that's a 5 at 6 though he may sometimes be at 8, a 7 at 7 and 8, a 13 at 11, 12 and 13, a 6 at 19, an 8 at 20 and a 12 at 23. Got it.

You'd think after the success of picking a 14 at 14, even if it meant moving your other (mostly) 14 to 11, Borthwick might have picked the next best pacy runner of good lines available to him at 14 and kept the continuity. Instead, it seems you can never have too many 13s.

I am so disappointed with this side. I really thought learning might have taken place.

I could even accept Tuilagi at 12, having seen the acres of open space in the 10 channel for France v Wales. Instead, we'll be treated to Daly against Penaud. Daly seems to have played 11 twice at club level in the last 2 years.

It's a shame about IFW, about as expected. I'd have rather have seen someone else on the bench instead of Tuilagi.

Ford's performance off the tee against Ireland wasn't good enough for international level however the rest of his game was generally very good.

So that's a 5 at 6 though he may sometimes be at 8, a 7 at 7 and 8, a 13 at 11, 12 and 13, a 6 at 19, an 8 at 20 and a 12 at 23. Got it.

You'd think after the success of picking a 14 at 14, even if it meant moving your other (mostly) 14 to 11, Borthwick might have picked the next best pacy runner of good lines available to him at 14 and kept the continuity. Instead, it seems you can never have too many 13s.

I am so disappointed with this side. I really thought learning might have taken place.

I could even accept Tuilagi at 12, having seen the acres of open space in the 10 channel for France v Wales. Instead, we'll be treated to Daly against Penaud. Daly seems to have played 11 twice at club level in the last 2 years.
I mean this team did very well last week and the only changes are injuries. Id have picked someone else at 23 tbh but i can live with Daly there and he has played alot of wing and is experienced. Much rather IFW and CCS over daly and roots ofcourse but cant be helped.

Yes players are out of position in a few cases but Earl has excelled as our 8 and with Martin and Underhill it allows him to play his natural game. Chessum played well at 6 and deserves another shot. Lawrence is prob our best 12 which is annoying but honestly im not sold on Dingwall. Lawrence scored down the wing last week, Freeman and Furbank attack in the centre of the park aswell and look for work. So yes a few out of position but id say the team is balanced tbh so i dont really get the moaning.

My guess is that manu is there to run down Ramos' channel for the last 20 given he was weak in defence last week.

I don't think Steward will even be called up going forward for a bit. Going from being a core player to not making the 23 means I think he will be out completely unless he is needed to be involved in the 23 due to injuries.

I don't think Steward will even be called up going forward for a bit. Going from being a core player to not making the 23 means I think he will be out completely unless he is needed to be involved in the 23 due to injuries.
Not sure. Think it's horses for courses. Really depends on the opposition, weather and game plan.

Not surprised by the selection. Borthwick was always unlikely to roll the dice here. I just hope Daly doesn't kick away possession stupidly like he has done recently. Tuilagi...maybe he'll have an impact against a tired French defence, but he's not the player of old. Roots again doesn't feel like he'll have a huge impact. Let's hope the rest of the team that started against Ireland can continue where they left off.

If the Times is right in saying that Borthwick would beat Chessum on it while both were at Tigers then either Borthwick's Superman or it's an indication that what he was saying about players not being fit enough had some substance.
Alternatively, Borthwick kept up with cardio work after his playing days, but doesn't have to do any lifting, scrummaging, mauling, or any of the other work that active players have to.
Yes players are out of position in a few cases but Earl has excelled as our 8
Yeah, how many matches does someone have to play in a "different" position before they can be considered "not out of position"?
Earl's started more than 30 matches at 8, and will have filled in there plenty more times. That's a full season's worth. He's also shown himself to be a very good international #8.

Last edited:
I mean this team did very well last week and the only changes are injuries. Id have picked someone else at 23 tbh but i can live with Daly there and he has played alot of wing and is experienced. Much rather IFW and CCS over daly and roots ofcourse but cant be helped.

Yes players are out of position in a few cases but Earl has excelled as our 8 and with Martin and Underhill it allows him to play his natural game. Chessum played well at 6 and deserves another shot. Lawrence is prob our best 12 which is annoying but honestly im not sold on Dingwall. Lawrence scored down the wing last week, Freeman and Furbank attack in the centre of the park aswell and look for work. So yes a few out of position but id say the team is balanced tbh so i dont really get the moaning.

My guess is that manu is there to run down Ramos' channel for the last 20 given he was weak in defence last week.

I've got no quibbles over some of the changes of position (and it's better than picking Dafydd "definitely not a flanker, never played there" Jenkins as a flanker) but as I say, Daly has played winger at club level twice in two years according to all.rugby. It's insulting to think that Slip Backwards thinks he's the best available when he doesn't play there. I don't accept the 'experience' argument, we seemed to do OK with a guy making his first start on the wing last week... and I didn't think that Daly added anything at 13 last week either.

Daly at 13 or not in the XV. Excellent choice at 23. I think I've made my preferences clear :)

I'd definitely have started Smith too; he's a running threat at 10, as well as being the #YoungIceman.

Obviously, I agree about Manu (I did say so...) being there for a purpose, but, even though *he's not a crash ball merchant* Lawrence can still add more pace and power than Ramos can handle. This frees up 23 for Daly and means we can include an actual try-scoring winger.

I've got no quibbles over some of the changes of position (and it's better than picking Dafydd "definitely not a flanker, never played there" Jenkins as a flanker) but as I say, Daly has played winger at club level twice in two years according to all.rugby. It's insulting to think that Slip Backwards thinks he's the best available when he doesn't play there. I don't accept the 'experience' argument, we seemed to do OK with a guy making his first start on the wing last week... and I didn't think that Daly added anything at 13 last week either.

Daly at 13 or not in the XV. Excellent choice at 23. I think I've made my preferences clear :)

I'd definitely have started Smith too; he's a running threat at 10, as well as being the #YoungIceman.

Obviously, I agree about Manu (I did say so...) being there for a purpose, but, even though *he's not a crash ball merchant* Lawrence can still add more pace and power than Ramos can handle. This frees up 23 for Daly and means we can include an actual try-scoring winger.
I think SB thinks IFW and Freeman are the future and Daly is that utility experience to fall back on, when they are settled i think he will be phases out tbh or hope so. I dont mind Daly being there tbh.

He isnt a winger or FB and we have better 13s IMO hes just that jack of apl trades who has slotted in where we have an injury. I honestly think it would have been unchanged 23.

Alternatively, Borthwick kept up with cardio work after his playing days, but doesn't have to do any lifting, scrummaging, mauling, or any of the other work that active players have to.

Yeah, how many matches does someone have to play in a "different" position before they can be considered "not out of position"?
Earl's started more than 30 matches at 8, and will have filled in there plenty more times. That's a full season's worth. He's also shown himself to be a very good international #8.
It's the Lawes thing all over again, but at least we won't have to deal with everyone yelling about moving him to lock this time

Roots to have a stormer off the bench and Manu will take €2 onto the pitch for the Ramos turnstile. I don't feel anything about Daly on the wing, I just hope he is in the semi final smash-the-batards mode rather than the kicking one.

SB's talking a good game on continuity, but let's see how he (we!) reacts when Furbank spills a couple of high balls.

I suspect Steward will be back involved sooner rather than later. But if not I'd be expecting him to start learning French. Just on basic maths there aren't going to be many central contracts available for those outside the current match day 23 and losing >£20k per game that you're used to is going to sting.

Dont forget Chessum actually packed down at 8 on defensive scrums v Ireland.

Latest posts