• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] Italy vs England - 03/02/24

Possibly/probably, but in the past year, we've mostly looked like a 'collection of individuals'. Certainly in attack. I prefer this collection on paper as I'm more optimistic of their ability to string a few passes together.

Ford will probably still kick a lot, but I think he is a lot more aware of attacking opportunities than Farrell ever has been. I don't see him kicking when we have an obvious overlap for example.

They were still banging on the other day about not kicking enough - needing to hit this mythical 1,000 metre target.

If the ball's in play for roughly half the match and the opposition have the ball for half that time and the average kick is 40m, well you do the math….

They were still banging on the other day about not kicking enough - needing to hit this mythical 1,000 metre target.

If the ball's in play for roughly half the match and the opposition have the ball for half that time and the average kick is 40m, well you do the math….
Really? That's terrible to hear that SB is still banging that dead drum.

Heart says we'll actually play some rugby but head says SB is stuck in version of rugby in 2007 that doesn't exist anymore.

Really? That's terrible to hear that SB is still banging that dead drum.

Heart says we'll actually play some rugby but head says SB is stuck in version of rugby in 2007 that doesn't exist anymore.

Scary thing is that Saints have won something like 10 successive games with kicking over 1,000m. 2+2 of course equalling 5.

Getting in position is one thing. Having the wit to finish it off is quite another.

Scary thing is that Saints have won something like 10 successive games with kicking over 1,000m. 2+2 of course equalling 5.

Getting in position is one thing. Having the wit to finish it off is quite another.
I'm sure I read/heard that Saints are kicking more than anyone in the Prem this year.
Being a bit more pragmatic, but then having the ability to be clinical when its on has been that biggest difference to Saints this year (along with the improvement in defence)
But then that is probably all linked to a lightly different mindset

I'm sure I read/heard that Saints are kicking more than anyone in the Prem this year.
Being a bit more pragmatic, but then having the ability to be clinical when its on has been that biggest difference to Saints this year (along with the improvement in defence)
But then that is probably all linked to a lightly different mindset
See thats what i want from England, a tactic to keep pressure and territory with that ability to flick a switch into running rugby.

We've seen MSmith dominate and develop attacking kicks very well this season but still has that spark to go for it with the ball.

I hope thats what SB is going for tbh. I dont want us to do a full 180 and play like its 7s as we will just lose against the big teams who don't give us the gaps to attack.

England have a great starting run into this tournament. Italy, Wales, are teams that we can certainly beat and settle some of the new lads. Scotland could go either way, but if we tune them over we are nicely warmed up for the two big boys.
Pretty happy with SB selection for tomorrow. Good balance of experience and new blood, and some exciting prospects on the field. Let's just hope hype converts into something tangible. I'd hate to think SB is just blooding some of these lads to keep them away from other home nations, after which they drop off the radar never to be seen again!
Anyway, love the 6Ns. Big start this evening that could set a great tone.

Capuozzo out with gastroenteritis. Replaced on the wing by Pani.
That's a shame, always fun watching him play - wonder if there might be more dropouts with how contagious that is
There was an outbreak in the Sale camp a couple of weeks ago and ended up hitting 20 people

That's a shame, always fun watching him play - wonder if there might be more dropouts with how contagious that is
There was an outbreak in the Sale camp a couple of weeks ago and ended up hitting 20 people
TMI

Were they playing 20 rugby players 1 cup?

Unfortunately too much kicking can provide spectacled like this

England don't even kick like that. They get near the opposition 22 with a three man overlap…and then kick.

Unfortunately too much kicking can provide spectacled like this

What's the rule on charge downs in an offside position? Because some of those Bath players were definitely offside and yet kept going for charge downs.

You've got to be 10m (radius) away from where the ball lands.
Once the ball has moved 5m, it's open play and there are no offside lines anymore.

I Ike the law, but think it's too generous. Should be required to retreat, and have both distances at 10m, not 10 and 5.

No offside lines in open play is pretty central to rugby, as is being played inside, whoever's in possession.

You've got to be 10m (radius) away from where the ball lands.
Once the ball has moved 5m, it's open play and there are no offside lines anymore.

I Ike the law, but think it's too generous. Should be required to retreat, and have both distances at 10m, not 10 and 5.

No offside lines in open play is pretty central to rugby, as is being played inside, whoever's in possession.
I'd prefer to see lazy forwards played inside by the chaser, make them work harder to return.

Marler is the king of retreating 11m from where the ball lands and popping active again

Latest posts