• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Max Clein and Ronan Foxe added to the Munster academy.

Foxe a tidy bit of poaching imo. Big wide lump of a lad. With Salanoa and Knox being so injury prone I think he will get minutes this year.

Clein I'm slightly surprised and I wonder will it come at the expense of Danny Sheahan. Open to correction, but Sheahan is highly rated and is probably the likely starter for the Irish 20s this year.

On that note I think we should have a pretty strong 20s contingent this year all going well
No Sheahan is a big hope as well. We are very bare at hooker and Niall Scannell isn't getting any younger. I think you need at least 5-6 hookers these days with the mix of senior and academy. Scott Buckley has beefed up well and will see more time this year.

Peter O'Mahony has decided to step down as Munster captain. Obviously a decision I respect, but i don't love it for Munster.

No one really screams obvious captain to me right now. Murray would probably be the best choice, as he's senior, vocal, seems to have a good manner with refs, but he's not exactly a guaranteed starter right now.

Beirne is a guaranteed starter, but he seems to be a slightly quieter lead by example guy. I'd have him happily if our squad was a bit older and didn't need a lot of vocal leadership and direction.

Jack O'Donoghue I like as a player, but I've never really loved as a captain. Cleary has a lot of respect from the squad, but he's probably one of our worst offenders for stupid penalties and doesn't approach the ref when needed.

Crowley I think needs to focus on his game and trying to make the Munster and Irish jersey his own.

If Haley wasn't banjaxed I think he could do a good job. Casey could do a job if he was a guaranteed starter. Same probably goes for Niall Scannell.

Kendellen has everything you want in a captain, but definitely not a guaranteed starter.

Peter O'Mahony has decided to step down as Munster captain. Obviously a decision I respect, but i don't love it for Munster.

No one really screams obvious captain to me right now. Murray would probably be the best choice, as he's senior, vocal, seems to have a good manner with refs, but he's not exactly a guaranteed starter right now.

Beirne is a guaranteed starter, but he seems to be a slightly quieter lead by example guy. I'd have him happily if our squad was a bit older and didn't need a lot of vocal leadership and direction.

Jack O'Donoghue I like as a player, but I've never really loved as a captain. Cleary has a lot of respect from the squad, but he's probably one of our worst offenders for stupid penalties and doesn't approach the ref when needed.

Crowley I think needs to focus on his game and trying to make the Munster and Irish jersey his own.

If Haley wasn't banjaxed I think he could do a good job. Casey could do a job if he was a guaranteed starter. Same probably goes for Niall Scannell.

Kendellen has everything you want in a captain, but definitely not a guaranteed starter.
Everyone of those guys is washed bro.

Times like this is when you wonder how GOATed a guy like Rhys Ruddock or Kevin McLaughlin would have been for Munster.

Everyone of those guys is washed bro.

Times like this is when you wonder how GOATed a guy like Rhys Ruddock or Kevin McLaughlin would have been for Munster.
There are zero leaders in the Leinster squad, despite the fact each and every one of them will walk into senior management/VP roles in tech startups, banks and consultancies after they retire.

There are zero leaders in the Leinster squad, despite the fact each and every one of them will walk into senior management/VP roles in tech startups, banks and consultancies after they retire.

Goys goys, calm down.

Their daddies and mammies* will provide for them should they ever fall on harsh times.

*is mammy an acceptable term in D4? Or is it a strict "mom"?

See Munster have confirmed RG is moving on end of the season and Kleyn has been extended by 2 years. Probably the inevitable given how reliable Kleyn has been for Munster and one had to go, especially now that they have decent local locks coming through. Think they're also picking the right one for them to be honest.

That being said, RG had his injury problems, but played a crucial role in the run-in to URC success last year. I guess he will be looked at positively with a touch of what could have been if he didn't keep on getting really bad injuries.

Has Snyman even hit double figures of club games, considering he's been there for more than a world cup cycle?
Maybe a wry smile at the URC run in but he's got to go down as one of the biggest wastes of money in rugby history, surely?

Obv not his fault (barring the fire one, I think?), just mad to think about how little he's played

See Munster have confirmed RG is moving on end of the season and Kleyn has been extended by 2 years. Probably the inevitable given how reliable Kleyn has been for Munster and one had to go, especially now that they have decent local locks coming through. Think they're also picking the right one for them to be honest.

That being said, RG had his injury problems, but played a crucial role in the run-in to URC success last year. I guess he will be looked at positively with a touch of what could have been if he didn't keep on getting really bad injuries.
Yeah, Kleyn for us is just Mr consistent, never injured always available. RG I'm sad to see go, but absolutely the correct decision. We took really good care of him, but he just won't have an injury free run it doesn't seem. I'd imagine he goes Japan again where the style of rugby is less crunch heavy.
Has Snyman even hit double figures of club games, considering he's been there for more than a world cup cycle?
Maybe a wry smile at the URC run in but he's got to go down as one of the biggest wastes of money in rugby history, surely?

Obv not his fault (barring the fire one, I think?), just mad to think about how little he's played
Yeah, he was a great guy but wasn't really worth it. Good figure around the squad by all accounts though and his last contract was way more team friendly and had appearance based incentives.

Cost Munster very little for 2nd 2 years as insurance from first 2 years covered alot of his 2nd contract.
He is more than likely returning to S.A. and will be fondly remembered here as he did contribute massively when he played.

Kleyn was never going anywhere and he never wanted to go. Just built a new house and has a young baby. His wife is a teacher local too. And all her family and his family live near. And he is consistent and durable.

Also another 2 players are in advances talks of joining. Both are internationals and will be hopefully signed and sealed this side of Christmas but not confirmed for few more months.

Stephen Fitzgearld will be joining our sessions too and will see if he is worth a year too.

Cost Munster very little for 2nd 2 years as insurance from first 2 years covered alot of his 2nd contract.
He is more than likely returning to S.A. and will be fondly remembered here as he did contribute massively when he played.

Kleyn was never going anywhere and he never wanted to go. Just built a new house and has a young baby. His wife is a teacher local too. And all her family and his family live near. And he is consistent and durable.

Also another 2 players are in advances talks of joining. Both are internationals and will be hopefully signed and sealed this side of Christmas but not confirmed for few more months.

Stephen Fitzgearld will be joining our sessions too and will see if he is worth a year too.
Turnip? If fit he's be an addition

hooker or prop muff??

Turnip? If fit he's be an addition

hooker or prop muff??
He'd be grand as cover. Would have been nice if we'd kept young Flannery, but it's probably paid off for him now in Ulster I suppose.

We're surely looking at a Hooker at minimum. Desperately needed. Jager helps our prop stocks a lot, we probably need a winger fairly badly now!!

Turnip will only be a cover signing as in for depth and it suits him too but long term I think he'd fancy France. Although his partner has a very successful business here with her hurler brother so it may suit him to stay local.

Signings I can say 1 is hooker.

And also I will echo my previous mention that RG isn't going to Bath or Leinster that were both being sprouted

Got a cryptic hint to the hooker in another forum. Very impressed if that comes to pass
All I can say is I was there for both medicals of both guys. All passed and I believe both are 95% over line just can't confirm.