• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

I mean honestly using the army is a good idea tbh.
They are being paid still, and logistics is meant to be a big part of it.

I would rather the army was used more domestically in situations like this and the flooding etc than in a pointless conflict.

Drove past three petrol stations on the way into work and all were fine - then heard on the radio that two thirds of petrol stations have run dry?

Heard on the radio or tv from one petrol station owner they used to have 2 tankers a week delivery for fuel, now it's nearly over once a day if they can source it.

It's all just media panic, same as start of COVID, they are already starting to flog the whole "Turkey shortage for Christmas"

Heard on the radio or tv from one petrol station owner they used to have 2 tankers a week delivery for fuel, now it's nearly over once a day if they can source it.

It's all just media panic, same as start of COVID, they are already starting to flog the whole "Turkey shortage for Christmas"
Blaming the media is a bit unfair, BP announced they had to close forecourts not them. That's news and they are merely reporting on it.

The issue is the psychology of people upon hearing that news and there is no simple fix. As the only simple answer seams to be ban reporting of the news.

I mean you're telling me that isn't fanning the flames?

(Ironic 2 outlets who readers are very much isn't the younger generation soft).

I mean you're telling me that isn't fanning the flames?

(Ironic 2 outlets who readers are very much isn't the younger generation soft).
Ah when I read "the media" I always read it as broadcast news rather than print media because that's usually who people are gunning for.

Sensationalist headlines are a tabloids stock and trade so you wouldn't expect any less from the Mail.

Reading the telegraph article and headline, sorry what's the problem?

I mean for me saying panic buying before any panic buying has happened, is like saying "Oh I hope he doesn't drop his tray of pints" whilst getting ready to jeer.
It's just one of those phases IMO media in general shouldn't used until it's actually happened.

But yes I should've specified print media. (Although sadly it's also the most shared on the digital side via facebook and twitter so should be print and digital I guess?)

Localised panic buying, it makes sense once one fuel station runs out in an area people run to the nearest one that focuses even more pressure. We drove past 5 stations on Saturday 3 were massively queued and 2 were closed. We actually picked up fuel at one of the closed ones yesterday morning at a reasonable time.
Very true - the ones I drove past were Shells etc., rather than supermarkets (and there's a few supermarkets in the area) so imagine they see the brunt of it due to accessibility and cost

Very true - the ones I drove past were Shells etc., rather than supermarkets (and there's a few supermarkets in the area) so imagine they see the brunt of it due to accessibility and cost
Ultimately once the initial surge and panic is over we should see relative normality with odd pockets of shortages. Its a logistics issue and one the fuel companies hadn't fully anticipated and adjusted for.

Localised panic buying, it makes sense once one fuel station runs out in an area people run to the nearest one that focuses even more pressure. We drove past 5 stations on Saturday 3 were massively queued and 2 were closed. We actually picked up fuel at one of the closed ones yesterday morning at a reasonable time.

But yeah the HGV driver issue isn't going away anytime soon, this was all shunted because BP had to close some some stations and people went nuts. We've been seeing all year issues with some products in supermarkets (we can't seam to find a shop selling both Diet and Regular Coke at the moment).

Guess what folks you put up barriers to how you do trade and it causes problems with supply chains, who could of possibly worked out that out?

Funny how Germany and Poland are experiencing even worse fuel shortages than here. Guess Brexit is to blame for that too.

I got ******* drenched this morning walking the dog as it was raining… ******* Brexit.

Funny how Germany and Poland are experiencing even worse fuel shortages than here. Guess Brexit is to blame for that too.
Is there a source for this?
I've googled and can't see anything, and there doesn't appear to be any mention of it on social media or reddit
The only source seems to be Grant Shapps saying that Germany and Poland are fairing worse than us

To be honest it looks like he's misread a report - they're having a worse time than us wrt to gas prices (as in actual gas) due to an ongoing conflict with Russia, but not petrol/diesel supply (beyond the generalised HGV driver shortage)

I mean honestly using the army is a good idea tbh.
They are being paid still, and logistics is meant to be a big part of it.

I would rather the army was used more domestically in situations like this and the flooding etc than in a pointless conflict.
Well the army will still have NATO and domestic training and deployment commitments that it cannot really break. I know it's changed a bit since I was in but I don't remember many occasions when I wasn't in Canada, Germany or Poland on NATO exercises, on deployment in the Balkens or Cyprus or just doing standard training exercises to keep up with standards.

Also deploying the army just so people have lots of crap at Christmas isn't really what the army is for

I've googled and can't see anything, and there doesn't appear to be any mention of it on social media or reddit
The only source seems to be Grant Shapps saying that Germany and Poland are fairing worse than us

To be honest it looks like he's misread a report - they're having a worse time than us wrt to gas prices (as in actual gas) due to an ongoing conflict with Russia, but not petrol/diesel supply (beyond the generalised HGV driver shortage)
I wouldn't expect a response but this is typical pro-Brexit circlejerk "oh they have it so much worse in Europe", then can't actually provide any evidence of it (because it doesn't exist).

I got ******* drenched this morning walking the dog as it was raining… ******* Brexit.
Well now that torpedo'd as bullshit.

Lets play a game, tell me one thing that is better because of Brexit?

Well the army will still have NATO and domestic training and deployment commitments that it cannot really break. I know it's changed a bit since I was in but I don't remember many occasions when I wasn't in Canada, Germany or Poland on NATO exercises, on deployment in the Balkens or Cyprus or just doing standard training exercises to keep up with standards.

Also deploying the army just so people have lots of crap at Christmas isn't really what the army is for

I'm thinking more just to get over this Fuel panic crap.
Even if it's to stem Public panic and just have it as a PR ****.

Basically from what I can tell EU have similar issues but they haven't had any panic from the public so therefore not a huge short term strain.

I'm thinking more just to get over this Fuel panic crap.
Even if it's to stem Public panic and just have it as a PR ****.

Basically from what I can tell EU have similar issues but they haven't had any panic from the public so therefore not a huge short term strain.
Not sure how the army can help there. Class 1 tanker deliveries require quite a high standard of ADR training. Squaddies do drive tankers but (and this may have changed) they will be 26T class 2 vehicles and they don't have the ADR training requirements.

There isn't really a problem with fuel its just people are being idiots. Perhaps we should let the pumps run dry and people with have to deal with their stupidity

Its a tad more complicated there is global issue with the amount of HGV drivers however that's a very simplistic view ie it doesn't big further. The further reality is our shortfall is greater than other peoples (at least from what I can read). So whilst Germany is having similar issues its not only due to less of a panic but also because their system is being put under the same level of strain from the other end either. Basically both end are causing it (although panic buying certainly causing a greater amount).

Simple act for me is that this isn't a sudden situation. This has been happening all year and the government know this. They should have had a plan in place for if things did get worse, but instead they did nothing. Saying covid has made things worse is irrelevant now because it's been going on long enough that the government should be able to see what problems might occur. They decided to do nothing as as usual until it was too late.

Well now that torpedo'd as bullshit.

Lets play a game, tell me one thing that is better because of Brexit?

Well off the top of my head, our vaccine rollout for one…

Unbelievable how it's 5 and a half years since the referendum and there are still remoaners in tears about it. :D

Latest posts