• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump now attacking Republicans... He is such a petty little dictator, everyone is at fault for his failures except him of course.

Lots is made of false accusations when it comes to rape but no one seems to want to talk about why the conviction rate is so low.

I believe that many men (and lets all be honest it is almost always men) have gotten away with such crimes because its often one persons word against another.

Lots is made of false accusations when it comes to rape but no one seems to want to talk about why the conviction rate is so low.

I believe that many men (and lets all be honest it is almost always men) have gotten away with such crimes because its often one persons word against another.

The criminal justice system is skewed in favour of the accused. Beyond a reasonable doubt is the threshold which must be met to find an accused guilty of rape. Unfortunately cases of rape are not always clear cut. There is still a prejudice in society that it only counts if a woman is attacked by a stranger, when most cases the victim knows her perpetrator. The ordeal a victim must go through to get a conviction must also put a lot of them off going to court in the first place as their sexual history is also put on trial.

We shouldn't be sexist either as there is also male rape that occurs and the shame that goes with reporting such crime in the first place.

8pm on a Friday while Texas is about to be a hit by a category 4 hurricane.
Trump is too much of a coward to have made that announcement when the news media would have had a bigger audience.

Nixon was shady... arpaio abused mentally ill prisoners and women under his care. He also ignored sex crimes to step up immigration control. I'd say he is a worse human.

Absolutely. And to clarify / reiterate, it is the apparent circumstances of the Ched Evans and Ulster cases that make me very open to the possibility they have been appalling promiscuous but perhaps have not done anything illegal. The vast majority of allegations of rape will be entirely genuine.

In instances where rape allegations are made where:

- the complainer is the ex-partner of the accused
- the complainer is the current partner of an accused with anger management issues
- the complainer is related to the accused
- where the suspect has crashed overnight at a premises after excessive alcohol consumption with no prior public display of affection with the victim

then we can have a far higher degree of confidence that something horrific has taken place and that the victim has been traumatised but found the strength to approach the police.

The final thing is though, as alluded to in the link above, one response to low conviction rates was to take some other sexual offences with higher conviction rates and rebrand them as "rape". So literally, rape does not always mean rape, at least in some circumstances. Whereas 15 years ago, rape was rape and everybody knew what that meant.

It is a mess as a direct result of political interference in the justice system.

Thanks for the reasoned responses. It is a horrible topic. But creating a situation where someone gets locked up for years because there is a reduced threshold of evidence is serious business.

This chap nails Trump and why he got elected,IMO:

BOTH sides (Left and Right) have to start meeting in the middle, or Blondie will get another four years.

The recent rise in SJW dumbassery only helps Donald's cause.

This chap nails Trump and why he got elected,IMO:

BOTH sides (Left and Right) have to start meeting in the middle, or Blondie will get another four years.

The recent rise in SJW dumbassery only helps Donald's cause.

I am left wing but I can certainly agree with this video. The whole SJW movement, the selective outrage and the "majority is evil" mentality some on the left has winds me up. Not that long ago I had a "feminist" tell me I was a disgusting sexist for saying that the women's rugby team could not beat the men's because the men are just so much bigger, stronger and faster that even with identical technical ability, the men can just overpower the women. She was trying to make out women were physically equal to men, that level of delusion is every bit as damaging as the delusion of many Trump supporters. Also the whole "privilege" thing being used as a tool to shut down anything a white, straight male will say on any topic. "Oh you're privileged, you can't understand so shut up".

I'm left of centre liberal and I hate most people fighting our corner. I worry less about the leaders of our party but the people fighting our causes online are just awful.

the best part of privilege is just ignoring those that agree with you on issues but you find super annoying or go a little too far

the people who claim that SJWs ruin the left usually don't like the left anyway

True but I'm not going to pretend there isn't a militancy to it all. People want to dismiss anything I have to say on any topic because I'm a White Cisgendered Heterosexual Male if I slightly disagree with them rather than have a discussion.

If as a left of centre liberal my slight disagreement causes that reaction imagine trying to convince people who disagree.

the best part of privilege is just ignoring those that agree with you on issues but you find super annoying or go a little too far

the people who claim that SJWs ruin the left usually don't like the left anyway

I know plenty of other moderates and left leaning people who hate self-styled SJW's. There is a difference between fighting for equality and helping the little guy and what a lot of these people do. These people never deal with anything of significance, they pick a little issue, blow it up to be the worst thing ever and then have no interest in discussing, they just say it must be their way or you are a Nazi. It really is the same as those on the right who say it must be their way or you are a Muslim loving cuck commie, just from the other side. I mean when someone is telling me racism is evil and in the next sentence tells me I can't have any say in a conversation about racism because I'm white, well let's just say the ability to recognise hypocrisy is very weak in those who hold extreme views.

I know plenty of other moderates and left leaning people who hate self-styled SJW's. There is a difference between fighting for equality and helping the little guy and what a lot of these people do. These people never deal with anything of significance, they pick a little issue, blow it up to be the worst thing ever and then have no interest in discussing, they just say it must be their way or you are a Nazi. It really is the same as those on the right who say it must be their way or you are a Muslim loving cuck commie, just from the other side. I mean when someone is telling me racism is evil and in the next sentence tells me I can't have any say in a conversation about racism because I'm white, well let's just say the ability to recognise hypocrisy is very weak in those who hold extreme views.
they are equally douchey and sure they are hypocritical, virtue signaling, pop- sociologists but they are no where near as dangerous as right wing extremists

look at who are killing people... muslim extremists are right wing extremists... white nationalists here in america

the far left has never had the explicit support of the government, right now the white nationalists have implicit support of our government and every day we get closer to trump just coming out and saying they are right

i'd rather have people fighting for others' rights with poor tactics than fascists with good tactics

It really sounds like it should be the plot of a shoddy film, basketball player walks into the most oppressive country on the planet and saves the world from nuclear annihilation via the means of talking nonsense and throwing a bouncy orange sphere through a hoop.

On a completely unrelated note:

So has that Springboks game changed the outcome of the NZ election?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts