• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah sure, you know yourself, all those good faith, unmanned international borders around the world, just ask people not to smuggle or illegally enter a country and you're sound! I think the US and Mexico have one now, yerman Donald set it up!
Good old Donald good things he doesn't want a wall built to help enforce that border.

PMQ. Asked specifically about the full week of negotiations... "My position has not changed"

PMQ. Asked specifically about the full week of negotiations... "My position has not changed"
I literally have no idea what she expects to happen....my ex-landlord just tried this on me with deposit retention. As they refused to budge or even make an offer I had to open up a dispute. Once the dispute started they caved and offered me everything I asked for in the first place....instransigence gets you nowhere as the other party has nothing to lose by not agreeing.

Seriously MPs clearly won't allow no deal to happen, so the simple fact is refusal to budge at all leads to no Brexit.

How do you stop free moment of people?

Come one these were two main promises of the leave campaign. Stop telling remainers what we consider can't be done without x solution (this case a hard border) can be done by magic and unicorns and actually give detail on how you accomplish what you want done. But as usual not Brexiter has an actual real plan...

Haven't you heard? It's for the Remainers to answer how all these things are supposed to work for Brexit.

FFS.
Conservative cabinet minister (Chloe Smith) just likened "voter fraud" to rape, because it's rare (and therefore we need voter ID, coincidentally disenfranchising immigrants, poor people, disabled and transgender people)

For clarity, voter fraud estimated at 1 in 1.6M votes cast, so on average 1 vote per 16 constituencies!

Last edited:
And I though truthteller would be have the stupid crap I had read today....

Given that Tory Brexiteers continually state that 80% of people voted (at the last GE) for parties who promised to honour the referendum result, I would love to hijack these forthcoming European elections (which it looks like the UK will now have to participate in) as a way of protesting against the corrupt two party system in the UK and especially as a non-mandate at the divided and divisive Tory scum who have thrown the country into chaos. A protest against a Corbyn led Labour is also in order.

Maybe it's time to start a 'Anyone but the Tories and Labour' campaign ahead of these elections. It would be one hell of a statement if they hardly picked up any seats with most going to Change UK, Lib Dems, SNP and Farage's Brexit party.

What is Macron playing at? Most if not all EU leaders seem willing to grant the UK an extension and yet he seems hell bent on acting like a tough guy - is he trying to boost his approval ratings in France or maybe he wants to be the EU's answer to Putin? He's setting himself up for an embarrassing fall because he'll have to cave eventually if all other leaders are for the extension.

He could be trying to get the E.U to be tougher on Britain. He'll agree to extension if they add conditions to it. In fairness he does have a concern. If Britain elects MP's then you could well see a surge in right wing nationalists like Farage who won't go to Brussels with good intentions.

He could be trying to get the E.U to be tougher on Britain. He'll agree to extension if they add conditions to it. In fairness he does have a concern. If Britain elects MP's then you could well see a surge in right wing nationalists like Farage who won't go to Brussels with good intentions.

I think newly elected British MEPs will be seen as lame duck and not there for the long haul. Most observers know that Parliament is an uncompromising shambles and so getting tough may have no impact. I also didn't understand why Rees-Mogg's tweet about the UK being difficult with the EU getting such prominence. Paedo Postman Pat is a nobody, a nothing. I think Macron maybe sees this as a power grab opportunity if Merkel is in her last term.

I think newly elected British MEPs will be seen as lame duck and not there for the long haul. Most observers know that Parliament is an uncompromising shambles and so getting tough may have no impact. I also didn't understand why Rees-Mogg's tweet about the UK being difficult with the EU getting such prominence. Paedo Postman Pat is a nobody, a nothing. I think Macron maybe sees this as a power grab opportunity if Merkel is in her last term.

Looks like you were right, Macron has used it for a power play.

Though even the BBC are jumping on the band wagon of calling it a typical E.U fudge. Yes it's not ideal and probably could have been better, but even whilst disagreeing they came to a decision unanimously even if they didn't all like it in one night. Our politicians can't agree on anything after two years.

Macron probably genuinely wanted a shorter extension, but more importantly, wanted to look strong and effective to distract his domestic audience. He needed a win.
If course, it could also gave been a good-cop, bad-cop routine with Merkel, but I don't think so.

So the new date is Halloween... Though we can leave earlier if an actual deal is passed.
May insists we can leave without hosting European elections, up until May 31st, a full week after those elections are due to take place...

The idea that it's a fudge is a bit ridiculous, it's a compromise. May could (but won't) learn a thing or two from that. Compromise means two parties starting from different points, and meeting somewhere in the middle. Demanding the complete capitulation of one side or another is really not a good way to build consensus, even if it's how both of our major parties are accustomed to acting.

As for the European elections, idencorage everyone to vote, especially the younger generation who may not know that they need to register (by May 6th) and to remember that it's proportional representation, do tactical voting is pointless. We're due to send some lame ducks for 5 months, do this can be a single-issue vote (probably should be).
If you object to the way the Conservatives have run brexit, just vote anyone-but-con.
If you object to the way labour have handled their side, vote anyone-but-lab.
If you want to remain, vote Lib Dem.
If you want to leave with no deal, vote UKIP.

We may not get a 3rd referendum, but this election will sure as hell be taken as being indicative, and will send a real message about where public opinion is - whether you vote or not.

Arelene Foster, leader of the DUP (Dinosaur Unionist Party), has accused the EU of ignoring Unionists... They are really clutching at straws ATM.

It's not like the DUP has ignored the majority of the population in NI who voted to remain in the EU.... Oh wait.....

Last edited:
Macron probably genuinely wanted a shorter extension, but more importantly, wanted to look strong and effective to distract his domestic audience. He needed a win.
If course, it could also gave been a good-cop, bad-cop routine with Merkel, but I don't think so.

So the new date is Halloween... Though we can leave earlier if an actual deal is passed.
May insists we can leave without hosting European elections, up until May 31st, a full week after those elections are due to take place...

The idea that it's a fudge is a bit ridiculous, it's a compromise. May could (but won't) learn a thing or two from that. Compromise means two parties starting from different points, and meeting somewhere in the middle. Demanding the complete capitulation of one side or another is really not a good way to build consensus, even if it's how both of our major parties are accustomed to acting.

As for the European elections, idencorage everyone to vote, especially the younger generation who may not know that they need to register (by May 6th) and to remember that it's proportional representation, do tactical voting is pointless. We're due to send some lame ducks for 5 months, do this can be a single-issue vote (probably should be).
If you object to the way the Conservatives have run brexit, just vote anyone-but-con.
If you object to the way labour have handled their side, vote anyone-but-lab.
If you want to remain, vote Lib Dem.
If you want to leave with no deal, vote UKIP.

We may not get a 3rd referendum, but this election will sure as hell be taken as being indicative, and will send a real message about where public opinion is - whether you vote or not.

I think most resentment will be directed towards the Tories who people will blame for their handling of everything not to mention the deep rooted division which has extended to the country. Labour's main issue is Corbyn and is potentially a quick fix if they could somehow get rid of him and replace him with an Yvette Cooper or Keir Starmer.

Having thought about it I think 31 October is a reasonable compromise. The end of June as TM wanted is too soon and 31 December or March 2020 just gives that useless shower in Parliament more time to waste with their indecision. If May sticks to her word and goes for indicative votes that are binding in the event that the talks with Labour come to nothing then it's quite possible her deal + confirmatory vote could scrape a majority which should allow enough time to have that vote by 31 October. I have a feeling they will try and engineer a situation where enough Brexiteers come to the conclusion that a confirmatory vote is their best hope of getting Brexit. I think the Tory party conference is around October/November and she suggested that a new leader could be in place by then.

In other news, Julian Assange has been arrested after Ecuador tore up his asylum claim.

In other news, Julian Assange has been arrested after Ecuador tore up his asylum claim.

That's pretty big news. I wonder if they asked him if he used anything from the minibar when he left.

Just saw the video of him being carried out - he really has aged and doesn't look healthy. It's funny how most companies now create a culture of whistleblowing and speaking up but that clearly doesn't apply to exposing wrong doings of Governments and world leaders.

Assange is no martyr. He has avoided arrest of the charge of sexual assault for numerous years.

On the political front he is not there to expose governments but to further his political agenda.

Assange is no martyr. He has avoided arrest of the charge of sexual assault for numerous years.

On the political front he is not there to expose governments but to further his political agenda.

Exposing the shenanigans of Hilary and the Democrats was no bad thing but he does have questionable links to Russia. I guess his end game was to somehow get to Equador or Russia but looks like he'll be spending the rest of his life in an American jail. Edward Snowden must be a very relieved man to have found sanctuary in Russia.

Led by donkeys are superb.

I can't stand Farage - just a political pundit mouthpiece who has no intention of ever governing or making a difference. Being an MEP is a never ending jolly - business class travel back and forth to Brussels every week along with expensive hotels and lavish dinners all funded by the taxpayer. Not to mention not having to any actual work apart from slagging off the EU. Farage has been milking it for years. Having said that I can see his new party attracting UKIP and disgruntled Tory voters but will probably suffer in terms of number of seats due to the lack of proportional representation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts