• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he called a GE is there any guarantee the partnership with the DUP is still there?
That was a may deal, and they made off with a sack full of cash from it - who's to say they won't play hardball and try and get a load more, sewing a bit more malcontent with the tories (with a majority of 1 it would only take a couple of Tories taking umbrage with another billion pound payout to cause real disarray).

If he called a GE is there any guarantee the partnership with the DUP is still there?
That was a may deal, and they made off with a sack full of cash from it - who's to say they won't play hardball and try and get a load more, sewing a bit more malcontent with the tories (with a majority of 1 it would only take a couple of Tories taking umbrage with another billion pound payout to cause real disarray).

DUP could do a deal with him for more money and ensuring that equal marriage and abortion is not imposed on NI

You wouldn't put it past Arlene Foster to do that even if he doesn't call a GE.
Dependsmon the agreement they have. Was it with PM May? was it for 5 years? Etc. I would doubt that it's even binding!

Surely there will be a token trip to Brussels first so that he can claim he tried to get a new deal. After that there could be an announcement about a snap GE. The Tories believe that their key to power is Corbyn remaining in charge of Labour. It's just a pity the stubborn old git can't see that and put the party / country before himself and his cronies.

I get why so many people want Corbyn to step down, and I do agree that Labour should be mopping the floor with the tories atm, but he's overwhelmingly been voted in as leader of the Labour party, by labour party members, twice.
He's not going against the party because he's who they want.

A man who said of his nearest neighbour's head of state - "Why can't he be called Murphy like the rest of them" - this will be gas craic.

I get why so many people want Corbyn to step down, and I do agree that Labour should be mopping the floor with the tories atm, but he's overwhelmingly been voted in as leader of the Labour party, by labour party members, twice.
He's not going against the party because he's who they want.
Since the last general election his popularity in the party has diminished hugely, Many adamant supporters I know of have said he needs to go and defected to Green or Lib Dem even if they are still paying their Labour dues.
DUP could do a deal with him for more money and ensuring that equal marriage and abortion is not imposed on NI
BoJo could promise it but considering how heavilly parliment voted for those measure he have a heck of a trouble delivering. He'll probably have a better chance to get through a no deal Brexit.

Ah well its all going as expected. No more or less f***ed than we were in reality.

The last time I had this sense of foreboding on a change of leadership was when Andy Robinson became England coach.

Having just watched his speech I already can't stand him. He's an energiser amongst public school rich toffs but nowhere near in touch with the man or woman on the street. There's no way he's going to unite the country and heal the division. He doesn't even carry himself well. He shakes hands with people without looking them in the eye. It's embarrassing.

Turns out the new leader of the Lib Dems has said they won't ever make a coalition with Labour under Corbyn.

I kind of get where she's coming from, as she says Corbyn can't be trusted to stop Brexit, but Corbyn has always gone along with what the membership has voted and is pushing for the peoples vote - as per what was voted (push for GE and then PV).

Swinson voted for the University Fee raise, though, so I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her.

Edit: She's also pro-austerity and pro-privatisation of the NHS. lol, what a keeper

Last edited:
pro-austerity is Labour mudslinging there's plenty of that to around circa 2010 and 2015 to all parties barring Green

pro-privatisation of the NHS is also not strictly true. More like the tendering of contracts which again is also Labour policy, healthcare paid for through taxes and free at the point of use is still very much party policy.

But yeah I suggest actually digging into what they say v what actually is the truth because Labour have slung all the mud her way in the past 24 hours. As usual most of it is full of half truths

People talking about a GE must remember one thing: with Boris leading the Tories the Brexit party/UKIP votes will mostly go to him. Although the south of England might see some Tory seats lost to Lib dems etc the Labour seats in the North and Midlands will be basically fighting a second referendum in the places where leave won. May was always considered a remainer by leave voters, so its little surprise she failed badly in her GE plus her campaign was terrible. Boris is considered a leaver and has more public support than May ever had. I get some of you will struggle to get your heads round this but to people who voted leave Boris is the man and they will vote for him in a GE. So forget how parliament looks now.

Oh I think a GE will a shitshow although I do wonder how much Jognson can sure up the Tories 4th place in most polls even though he's seen as Brexiter as those polls occurred since her resignation.

Honestly I think we'll end end with wafer majority to any alliance that can be build one way or the other.

So forget how parliament looks now.

The landscape would be very different.

All I know for sure is that no amount of negotiation would result in anything which would be palatable to a majority within parliament right now. Ergo we need a new parliament.

It may be more pro-Remain or more pro-Brexit, but it won't might not be paralysed like now.

The outlook is fairly grim if you are pro-EU in Scotland or Norn Iron - but its utterly bleak if you are pro-EU and living in England and Wales. At least the break up of the union would allow both regions to get back into the EU (albeit through very different avenues).

There is zero chance that the whole country will accept the referendum result and unite any time soon under BoJo as PM. The division over EU membership will continue for decades and the break up of the UK is more likely than ever. As soon as Corbyn steps down in 1, 2, 3, 4 years the next Labour leader will offer another referendum to re join the EU in their manifesto. It's the obvious selling point to differentiate themselves from the Tories.

If we leave with No deal the Tories will eventually pay a heavy price at a future GE as a result of the huge economic hit that the country will take and everyone will look back at life as part of the EU with rose tinted glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.