• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
7 years ago today we were all watching the London Olympics opening ceremony. A celebration of optimism, unity, diversity, humanity and inclusion.

We've come a long way.
Just prompted me to rewatch Her Maj parachuting in with James Bond. Utterly brilliant, no other country could have pulled that off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-49151870

Apparently all along it was up to the E.U if we leave with a deal and nothing to do with our own governments incompetency and the ridiculousness that is Parliament.

Is Johnson seriously trying to the get the E.U to give us a better to deal to avoid him blaming them. Unfortunately for those who refuse to listen to facts they will believe him and it won't be the fault of those who chose to leave without a plan, but those trying to protect their own interests from a group of greedy nationalist fools.

Catherine Blaiklock of the Brexit National Party
https://mobile.twitter.com/blaiklockbp/status/1156137033506668544

Someone told me this is happening . This is a text I received. 'Major operations are sold in Pakistan and performed by the NHS in London. Patients arrive at Heathrow and are collected and taken to Slough General. Everyone is on the take abusing the system.'
I'm guessing that "someone" just so happened to be called Steve Bannon, because tours straight out of his playbook of lies.
Please note, not only is the above completely implausible (it's the other way round, NHS will sometimes pay for operations overseas), but Slough General doesn't exist. Also notice, Pakistan is not in the EU

Tomorrow is the by-election in Brecon and Radnorshire (Wales) and it could lead to the Tory/DUP love child not having a majority in Westminster.

If calculations are correct the LibDems will win which will leave the government with 321 MPs compared to 322 MPs they would need for a majority.

Brexit party have been predicted to mop of Tory voters whilst the clear Remain parties are not putting forward candidates in an attempt to help the LibDems get the seat.

Predictions at the moment are LibDems with 40%+ followed by Brexit Party on 20-30%

Definitely going to keep an eye on it, and there's some good odds flying about for the Tory's to return a vote share of less than 20%

Edit: but then again a lot of Brexit Party voters could now vote for the Tory's because of Boris.

Extra £2.1 billion for No-Deal Brexit planning, which the government says will go to Border Force and stockpiling of medicines.

Didn't the Leavers say there'd be no issues of the border security and medicines with a No-Deal?

Well at l;east we know what that 350million per week for NHS is being spent on.

LDs chucked everything at this against the money of the Cons, goes to show they have an excellent ground game still if they were able to mobilise it on a national campaign they'd really be a force.

Still BBC chucking out 'its not about Brexit'.....I mean seriously.

I've lost track, how many Tories would need to resign the whip for them to lose their majority even with the DUP?
Actually, CAN they command a majority at the moment? There have been a couplemof by-elections since I last checked.

ETA: https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/current-state-of-the-parties/
311 Con + 10 DUP
7 Sinn Féin and the speaker don't vote (except in tie-breaks for Bercow).
So they have 321 out of 441 occupied seats.
1 is currently vacant (Brecon and Radnorshire who fired their Tory MP in June)
I hadn't realised that the speaker's 3 deputies also don't vote, hence Boris still commands a majority despite losing Brecon.

However, 1 defection from the conservatives and even with the DUP he can even manage a draw (which would be decided by Bercow, so not useful for him).
If we get the 6 defections being rumoured, then that's just completely unworkable.

LDs chucked everything at this against the money of the Cons, goes to show they have an excellent ground game still if they were able to mobilise it on a national campaign they'd really be a force.

Still BBC chucking out 'its not about Brexit'.....I mean seriously.
Didn't a number of parties not field candidates so the Liberals had a better chance of winning

Didn't a number of parties not field candidates so the Liberals had a better chance of winning

Correct. Those parties must've been inspired by the Tory leadership contest when BoJo supporting MPs lent votes to other candidates in order to eliminate Rory Stewart and then Gove so that he would face Hunt in the final two.

The Northern Irish party propping up Boris Johnson's Government has urged the Prime Minister to seek a time-limit to the Irish "backstop" in exchange for agreeing to an all-Ireland food customs regime. The shock solution was revealed by the Irish edition of the Sunday Times, without citing sources. According to the newspaper, the DUP is prepared to to discuss an all-island regime for food in exchange for a time limit on the "backstop" clause.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/poli...op-DUP-boris-johnson-leo-varadkar-EU-deal/amp

Has the DUP blinked first in the stalemate?

Interesting video from when the USA had a president that was sane. It pretty much sums up all that is wrong with any attempts to solve the gun problem.

But acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney rejected the Democrats' allegations and attributed the attacks to "sick" individuals.

"There's no benefit here in trying to make this a political issue, this is a social issue and we need to address it as that," he told ABC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49230861

Well when the White House is spouting out nonsense like this, you know they have lost the plot. Trying to separate this into social issue with no political solution? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts