• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Amazon dipping its toes into NH rugby

Which is why I replied with what I did.

If you've made a program to raise awareness of the game, then why not show it BEFORE the biggest competition in the game?
I don't think that Netflix give a toss about promoting rugby, they care about making programmes that will attract / retain subscribers.

Pretty much one and the same, no? If the series attracts subscribers then it's promoted rugby.
True, but BrokenWings argument was that they should've released it before the RWC to promote that
But Netflix and Six Nations don't care about that - Netflix want viewers and Six Nations wants to advertise the 6N starting next week

Pretty much one and the same, no? If the series attracts subscribers then it's promoted rugby.
Not really. If it ends up promoting the game, it's an unintended consequence of making a programme to attract/retain subscribers. If the Finn Russell = Messi thing keeps gaining traction, it could end up having a negative effect on casual observers' perception of the game.

Haven't seen the Russell = Messi comment but it makes perfect sense doesn't it?

Only now, when it's realistically too late, getting the opportunity to be the best out half / sportsperson in the world due to Johnny Sexton retiring. No?

He's a fly half, every fly half thnks they are Messi/Beckham/Jordan. Even the ones they roll out on a Saturday for Mellish 3rds think they are a genius and everyone else is holding him back/playing brilliantly because he's there.
This is true, the amount of 10s I've played opposite who thought they were as good / better than me was hilarious.

I mean Russell was pretty clearly taking the **** no? He was laughing while saying it.
100%. But in no way does that mean that it won't be misrepresented for likes/clicks (it already has been) and misinterpreted by people who don't do nuance.

Who cares if it is? Only in Rugby do we worry about these things
Many bodies, companies and individuals have a vested interest in increasing the popularity of the sport. They would all care. On a personal level, I find the relentless march to world domination that most sports' governing bodies seem to see as their remit a bit weird, but on the other hand, I would welcome more strength in depth within the game, so I care too.

I would say that it's very un-rugby to worry about this. My perception is that 95% of PR and marketing within the game is atrocious. Having an awareness of how the game is perceived within the wider sporting community would be a step in the right direction towards managing and altering that perception for the better.

Many bodies, companies and individuals have a vested interest in increasing the popularity of the sport. They would all care. On a personal level, I find the relentless march to world domination that most sports' governing bodies seem to see as their remit a bit weird, but on the other hand, I would welcome more strength in depth within the game, so I care too.

I would say that it's very un-rugby to worry about this. My perception is that 95% of PR and marketing within the game is atrocious. Having an awareness of how the game is perceived within the wider sporting community would be a step in the right direction towards managing and altering that perception for the better.
What care that Finn Russell said he was Messi? If that's that's how they feel I wouldn't want them in Rugby

Watching this while getting some fairly brainless work out of the way.

Ep 2 should really come with a warning. I just vomited every because of the stench that comes with Ellis Genge coming up on screen.

Watching this while getting some fairly brainless work out of the way.

Ep 2 should really come with a warning. I just vomited every because of the stench that comes with Ellis Genge coming up on screen.
Clearly a lie, all Irish fans have lost the ability to smell after Binlay Fealham burned all their nostrils beyond repair the first time he ran out in a green shirt

Clearly a lie, all Irish fans have lost the ability to smell after Binlay Fealham burned all their nostrils beyond repair the first time he ran out in a green shirt
I've built up immunity to the smell of the dump that he emits. Smellis hasn't washed in years and the BO is unbearable.

Latest posts