• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Amazon dipping its toes into NH rugby

I'm not sure that law suit is all it's cracked up to be. To prove negligence is a hard ask but then to prove that the rugby and not their life style, drinking, personal responsibility was not the cause must almost be impossible.
Yup.
But ultimately, it's a hell of a risk going against "12 good men, and true"
Whilst settling out of court would seem... Unwise in the extreme, just asking for pretty much every other rugby later in the country coming for a pay-ut

Yup.
But ultimately, it's a hell of a risk going against "12 good men, and true"
Whilst settling out of court would seem... Unwise in the extreme, just asking for pretty much every other rugby later in the country coming for a pay-ut
I assume it wouldn't go to a court with a jury.

It was poorly done, and Unfortutely focused mainly on the two of the weakest supported teams.
I guess the hope is Netflix 6N's will be better.

Prem rugby as a spectacle is pretty dead now

Apparently not. I've seen it panned in a couple of places.

I'm watched a couple of episodes and am enjoying it, mostly. I've seen a few reviews now criticise it for not being journalistic enough or in depth enough but frankly I question what those people were expecting. It's made by the same people who made Drive to Survive; it was always going to be quite a stylised, dramatic depiction of the sport that follows a select few players and their stories rather than an in-depth and journalistic analysis of the teams.

It's entertainment that's designed to drum up some interest in the sport for people who don't follow it particularly closely. From what I've seen so far I think it largely achieves what it's set out to do. Much better than Amazon's All or Nothing series that followed the All Blacks.

It's a big step in the right direction. Although I will admit that it coming out a whole year after the tournament that it's based on is a downside. And there's way too much Finn Russell for my liking.

hmmm that reviewer kinda sounds like a prick in the first place judging by

" access-all-areas cameras to tennis (Break Point) and golf (Full Swing). Croquet, curling, table tennis and tiddlywinks could be next on the Netflix hitlist" how condescending is he.

I'm watched a couple of episodes and am enjoying it, mostly. I've seen a few reviews now criticise it for not being journalistic enough or in depth enough but frankly I question what those people were expecting. It's made by the same people who made Drive to Survive; it was always going to be quite a stylised, dramatic depiction of the sport that follows a select few players and their stories rather than an in-depth and journalistic analysis of the teams.

It's entertainment that's designed to drum up some interest in the sport for people who don't follow it particularly closely. From what I've seen so far I think it largely achieves what it's set out to do. Much better than Amazon's All or Nothing series that followed the All Blacks.

It's a big step in the right direction. Although I will admit that it coming out a whole year after the tournament that it's based on is a downside. And there's way too much Finn Russell for my liking.
They seem to release them a couple of weeks before the next year's tournament (they do the same with drive to survive/ F1 and I think break point/and the linked open)
I guess there hope is, you watch the documentary, and then are inspired to watch this year's tournament

As long as it's something people with no clue on rugby will enjoy that's good enough for me.
I've seen the old guard complain that it's not living with the lions but that isn't going to draw in housewives etc who put on Netflix for a binge

My dad's not a rugby fan (your average watches-most-of-the-6N/RWC-but-nothing-more kinda person) but loves sports docs (Drive to Survive rekindled his love of F1 and he's even showing an interest in the NFL after Quarterback) - he's planning on watching this so will be interesting to see what he makes of it

Netflix doc will be a success if it gets people into the sport. I don't think many hardened F1 fans loved DTS' flagrant misleading editing or dramatization of Nikita Mazepin unlapping himself, but it was entertaining, dramatic, engaging and brought huge attention to the sport, me included.

I think if we as pretty seasoned rugby fans are expecting great insight we will be disappointed, especially given how lukewarm a lot of the dressing rooms were on it.

No idea if this doc will achieve that mind you as I've not watched it

Watched the first one and thought it was great. Good how they only interviewed the couple of Scotsmen with actual Scottish accents and left out all the ones with saffer ones

TBH I don't really care what goes on behind the scenes or really particularly care what the players are like as people. Granted, others will.

Even if brilliantly done I doubt it will turn the dial too much. The hard core will always be there. Probably unlikely to attract too many who've previously had no interest. Sweet spot might be to engage some who've previously had a casual interest. Whether it's enough to get Olyy's dad and his mates going to league matches remains to be seen.

Didn't watch DTS either but I guess that will have had a load of advantages. There are a lot of petrolheads, it's high tech, it's glamorous, there's shedloads of money, it's spectacular, it's visual, it's global and there's always the possibility of someone getting badly hurt. Rugby only really has the last one and not in such spectacular ways.

Anything aimed at boosting the game is worth a try. Unlikely to watch but I guess big hits, lively language and a fairly macho culture are likely to feature, none of which will make little Jo(h)nny's mum think she must get him to the local club to give it a go.

I'll definitely watch it but I'm watching Loudermilk on Netflix at the moment and looking forward to Masters of the Air more.

I'll get to it though.

I'm sure we'll get a few fans out of it but not sure if it'll turn the needle much.

I guess, but that's not what the post said?
Which is why I replied with what I did.

If you've made a program to raise awareness of the game, then why not show it BEFORE the biggest competition in the game?