• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ANZAC XV vs World XV To Be Played After World Cup?

Te Puke Thunder

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Here's an interesting article from the All Blacks website. Who would be your ANZAC XV/22 to take on the world after this years world cup in New Zealand?

For just the second time in history All Blacks and Wallabies could unite to form an ANZAC XV and play against a ‘rest of the world’ team.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=0 width=117 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD height=59 vAlign=top width=117></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The only time this has occurred was in 1989, when the touring British and Irish Lions played an ANZAC XV on the 23 July winning 19-15 at Ballymore.

While Michael Lynagh and Ian Williams scored points for the composite team, the reliable boot of Gavin Hastings, tries to John Devereux and Brendan Mullin, and a drop goal from Craig Chalmers gave the Lions a win.

It was the Lions first tour of Australia since 1971, and their first test loss was their only defeat of the series.

Finlay Calder and his men whitewashed the Australian domestic teams - beating Western Australia, Australia B, QLD, QLD B, NSW, NSW B, ACT and NSW Country.

They beat the Wallabies 19-12 in Brisbane in the second test and 19-18 in Sydney to win 2-1.

However their final match against the New Zealand and Australian side was not a full strength ANZAC side, with 12 Australians in the run on team as most New Zealanders were playing in the then National Provincial Championship.

The Sunday News has reported that former Australian Rugby Union boss Bob Fordham is the architect behind the match possibly taking place, which will be another charity style event to raise money for the Christchurch earthquake.

Combining the two top ranked teams in rugby, with All Blacks and Wallabies together, against a World team featuring the best players from the Springboks, Six Nations sides, Pumas and Pacific Islands, would be a mouthwatering proposition.

Fordham was one of the masterminds behind the 1989 clash, and it is reported that the game could be held at ANZ Stadium, where they would likely fill the 80,000 plus ground.

All Blacks captain Richie McCaw and Wallabies captain Rocky Elsom have in the past said that such a fixture would be fantastic.

"It'd be a bit of fun, yeah,†said McCaw

“If it was played in like a Barbarians atmosphere, it'd be good. The guys enjoy those relaxed experiences.â€

"But the trouble is finding a time to play it."

The event could potentially be held after the World Cup, when the planet’s best players are already in the one country.

Elsom agreed with McCaw.

“There'd be enormous appetite for that, from both the players and the fans,†Elsom said.

This would be a lot of fun to watch!
T.Woodcock
K.Mealamu
O.Franks
B.Thorn
S.Whitelock
R.Elsom
R.McCaw
K.Read
W.Genia
D.Carter
D.Mitchell
S-B.Williams
C.Smith
A.Ashley-Cooper
M.Muliaina

S.Moore
B.Franks
N.Sharpe
D.Pocock
A.Mathewson
Q.Cooper
J.O'Connor

Thats what I would pick.

ANZAC team

1 Tony Woodcock
2 Keven Mealamu
3 Owen Franks
4 Brad Thorne
5 Nathan Sharpe
6 Jerome Kaino
7 Richie McCaw
8 Keiran Read
9 Piri Weepu
10 Dan Carter
11 Drew Mitchell
12 Sonny Bill Williams
13 Robbie Fruean
14 Cory Jane
15 Kurtley Beale

16 John Afoa
17 Tatafu Polotu Nau
18 Sam Whitelock
19 David Pocock
20 Will Genia
21 Quade Cooper
22 James O'Connor

World team

1 Gethin Jenkins
2 Bismarck du Plessis
3 Adam Jones
4 Courtney Lawes
5 Victor Matfield
6 Juan Smith
7 Heinrich Brussow
8 Imanol Harinorduquy
9 Fourie du Preez
10 Toby Flood
11 Shane Williams
12 Jannick Jauzion
13 Brian O'Driscoll
14 Chris Ashton
15 Ben Foden

16 Dan Cole
17 William Servat
18 Danie Rossouw
19 Jamie Heaslip
20 Ben Young
21 Francois Trin-Duhc
22 Juan Martin Hernandez

Would be an interesting idea. I'd go with (keeping in mind it should be a mixture). I'd also think it would be cool if it was offically capped.

ANZAC XV
1. Tony Woodcock
2. Kevin Mealamu
3. Owen Franks
4. Brad Thorn
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsome
7. Richie McCaw(c)
8. Kieren Read
9. Will Genia
10. Daniel Carter
11. Hosea Gear
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. Drew Mitchell
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Stephen Moore
17. Ben Robinson
18. Sam Whitelock
19. David Pocock
20. Piri Weepu
21. Quade Cooper
22. Mils Muliaina

World XV
1. Gethin Kenkins
2. William Servat
3. Martin Castrogiovanni
4. Courtney Lawes
5. Victor Matfield
6. Sam Warburton
7. Thierry Dusautoir
8. Sergio Parisse
9. Fourie du Preez
10. Toby Flood
11. Shane Williams
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Chris Ashton
15. Ben Foden

16. Matthew Reese
17. Census Johnston
18. Paul O'Connell
19. Heinrich Brussow
20. Ben Youngs
21. Morne Steyn
22. Takudzwa Ngwenya

Would be interesting to see who'd be in the "World XV" considering all of the NH players would probably not be released due to the Aviva/Magners/Top 14 running during/after the WC

Mouthwatering alright! The ANZAC team would be unstoppable! I'd put my money on them to win it.

It should've been a SANZAR team vs. World XV. Or a Tri-Nations team vs. Six Nations team...

Would be an interesting idea. I'd go with (keeping in mind it should be a mixture).

World XV
1. Gethin Kenkins
2. William Servat
3. Martin Castrogiovanni
4. Courtney Lawes
5. Victor Matfield
6. Sam Warburton
7. Thierry Dusautoir
8. Sergio Parisse
9. Fourie du Preez
10. Toby Flood
11. Shane Williams
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Chris Ashton
15. Ben Foden

16. Matthew Reese
17. Census Johnston
18. Paul O'Connell
19. Heinrich Brussow
20. Ben Youngs
21. Morne Steyn
22. Takudzwa Ngwenya

Tom Croft would be a certain starter (and O'Connell shouldn't be anywhere near it), but otherwise that's more or less bang on.

Mouthwatering alright! The ANZAC team would be unstoppable! I'd put my money on them to win it.

It should've been a SANZAR team vs. World XV. Or a Tri-Nations team vs. Six Nations team...

NZ pretty much have a world class player in every position so a ANZAC or even SANZAR team wouldn't really be that much better than the All Blacks. In fact, I would only add a minimum of other players so as not to disrupt existing key combinations. Probably Fourie du Preez and Kurtley Beale at the back would be it TBH. The rest only to shore up depth.

A team that would be interesting to see is SA forwards with Aus backs. Now that would be a match made in heaven. Just add Pocock to the forwards and Fourie du Preez to the backs. Possibly Jaque Fourie to have a bit of grunt in the backs but that probably wouldn't be necessary.

Oh and Juan Smith > Tom Croft

Is Fourie Du Preez playing well now that he's back?
I've only seen one match he's played and he was shocking(ly bad - considering his reputation on here)

Is Fourie Du Preez playing well now that he's back?
I've only seen one match he's played and he was shocking(ly bad - considering his reputation on here)

First match was bad but the two after he was pretty much the only Bull playing.

Todd Clever couldn't lace Crofts boots.

Croft is better (although not by the same margin you have it i imagine), but Clever is still a great player. I just think that if this match really went ahead, they would try to spread the love around all the nations a little bit. Clever is one of the only guys from the minow nations that would be worth a shout is what im saying.

Think there'd be more minnow players than people would expect, for the reason I mentioned before (outside the international period and teams wanting their players back from the world cup ASAP)

Nothing to do with it, Haskell and Doran-Jones have done the nasty with most of the England team and we don't like them either.

P.s. Any only one person said they don't like Croft...how have you turned that into all the Irish people....that's racism that is.

hate.jpg

Latest posts