• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

British and Irish Lions Tour: Referee Chat

For me yet another consumate display by Peyper in what is arguably the toughest sport in the world to referee effectively.

There's a difference between talking about the match and long winded arguments with screenshots and videos of refereeing decisions like we've had recently.
The problem is the criteria is not really clear.

From the OP: "For the rest of the tour any discussions regarding refereeing decisions must be kept to this thread - however minor or major. "

Then you, a mod (sorry, but this unfortunately makes a difference) make it sound as if some comments about the ref are ok. To behonest, that kinda contradicts what Fish wrote.
I am not trying to be pedantic, but if i have to second guess whether i am posting on the right thread under the threat of being banned, well, that kinda kills the motivation to post and i am quite sure that's not what you (nor I) want.

I'm fine with rules, just make sure they are clear, everyone knows where to find them and are enforceable. '
Cheers

For me yet another consumate display by Peyper in what is arguably the toughest sport in the world to referee effectively.

I think Peypers been good aswell. The tip tackle on SBW is the only question mark but wasnt huge but if the series continues and an AB does one similar to what Ben Smith did to an England player and got carded for it. Its only fair if the AB player gets off aswell but I'll believe it when I see it.

All we want is consistency. Bens tackle was no worse than the one by teo and teo's one had WAY more intent.

SC pinging the side he's not supporting while his does exactly the same thing. ...never seen that before.
Be fair - SC was posting after about 15 minutes; the ABs had barely done any defending at that stage

SC pinging the side he's not supporting while his does exactly the same thing. ...never seen that before.

Yeah, like I've never seen a NH poster whinging about AB infringements while staying silent about their own team's illegalities....

I don't think Peyper has had a bad game, but he's too inconsistent in his decisions, and takes his eye off missing some obvious decisions, like not throwing straight or knock ons.

I don't think Peyper has had a bad game, but he's too inconsistent in his decisions, and takes his eye off missing some obvious decisions, like not throwing straight or knock ons.

I interpret that as him not blowing unless he is certain. That for me is what refereeing is about and prevents calamitous decisions like those of his compatriot Joubert based on hunches.

The line judges should assist with lineout and knock on calls if they get a better angle and are certain.

This match has been flowing and entertaining and Peyper is a part in that.

I can understand that if he gets the calls from the touch judges. However if he gets it wrong because he's not blowing unless he's certain, well rugby is so chaotic that he will get it wrong.

I interpret that as him not blowing unless he is certain. That for me is what refereeing is about and prevents calamitous decisions like those of his compatriot Joubert based on hunches.

The line judges should assist with lineout and knock on calls if they get a better angle and are certain.

This match has been flowing and entertaining and Peyper is a part in that.

My trouble is that it's not Peypers job to make sure it flows .... a couple of plays before the first try a AB went off his feet at the ruck Peyper went to blow his whistle then changed his mind . That's because he has flowing rugby on his mind not playing the game by the laws ..... I'm sure there were other things done from both teams but too many in my eyes to list . Such a shame Nigel can't ref these games

I didn't say it is Peyper's job to keep the game flowing (although I expect World Rugby will give inputs to their referees to that effect), What I'm saying is having a conservative approach to blowing the whistle can have the side effect of being beneficial to the sport. This would not be true if the ball was being slowed down, but slow ball was clearly not a problem in that match.

And I don't think you can interpret what he was thinking when he puts the whistle to his lips unless you are a mindreader although I didn't notice the incident you mention. I've no problem with a ref putting the whistle to their lips but then not blowing. Perhaps it is a marginal call in their mind. Or perhaps a player starts to make an infringement, but quickly corrects themselves. I may be wrong, but from my perspective one of the points of refs shouting warnings for example is to stop a player that is infringing, from continuing that infringement to such an extent that the ref must blow for it. I think in a sport with the complexity of play at the breakdown and at mauls, for players to be given an opportunity to correct themselves if they start to infringe but the opposing team still has the advantage of good possession. That's better than blowing up the instant the letter of the law is broken.

I'd be the first to admit I'm no expert on the rules of rugby or on refereeing (as may be apparent from my thoughts above!). But games under Peyper to me seem to be more entertaining than on average (i.e. quick ball), seem to be more even handedly enforced than on average and seem to be a lot less "stop/start" than on average. He is by some distance my favourite SH ref (although the O'Keefe fellow caught my eye recently) and I think he is an asset to the sport.

The one issue I had with Peyper today was his allowing of the All Black (triggers some readers) with their dolphin diving off their feet into rucks, prime example to ruck immediately before the one leading to the penalty that led to the opening score. I felt that should have been a Lions penalty as the only way the dive over the top would have been more blatant was if he'd shouted "GERONIMO" as he did it.

Otherwise felt the referee was not any reason for the result

How shite was Peyper, it was like playing 16 men, at least 4 NZ forward passes missed, at least 3 blatant off the ball blocks, one player tackled without the ball and 2 yellows the AB,s should have received.

The amount of times the ABs have been offside in defence this game already I'm surprised you have gall to go on about us .....

Brody being the main culprit so far imo
They are used to refs not pinging offside in NZ, seems that the locals prefer basketball to rugby.

The one issue I had with Peyper today was his allowing of the All Black (triggers some readers) with their dolphin diving off their feet into rucks, prime example to ruck immediately before the one leading to the penalty that led to the opening score. I felt that should have been a Lions penalty as the only way the dive over the top would have been more blatant was if he'd shouted "GERONIMO" as he did it.

Otherwise felt the referee was not any reason for the result

Yeh couldn't agree more with this . Another thing I thought is he was really picky at lineout time with us but not with the kiwis . Although like you say I don't think it altered the result

At last, a referee who is telling the Lions to shut their mouthy gobs at the lineout, and is prepared to ping their rush defence for offside
Exactly wrong mate, the ref was shite or one eyed the AB,s spent the match offside, the ref needs to visit specsavers

Seriously mate are you just having a laugh

If I wasn't before, I may have indulged in a wee chuckle now. ;)

Deep breaths. The refereeing was a non-factor in this result. Player selection and tactics were key and the former Welsh coach did better on both counts than the current one.

Latest posts