• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Conferences make creating a narrative far more difficult: Guinness Pro 14 - R.16

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Munster v Glasgow - The Top two sides in A meet in what is essentially a dead rubber, Munster won't catch Glasgow or be caught by the Cheetahs without an astounding display of incompetence. I anticipate a handy Munster win given they're less hamstrung by internationals leaving and Simon just has to win his last ever game in Cork!

Dragons v Edinburgh - Edinburgh, all day long, They'll start cementing their playoff spot.

Leinster v Southern Kings - A drubbing in Dublin awaits the "professional" South African outfit.

Benetton v Connacht - Have to Fancy the Italians to make it 6 in a row, losing internationals makes the prospect tougher but Connacht are in dire straits right now!

Ospreys v Cheetahs - Cheetahs to grab the first away win for a South African side in the Pro 14.

Scarlets v Ulster - The champions will crush the hapless Northerners, they're struggling bad right now.

Zebre v Cardiff - I don't know... Probably Cardiff! I hate writing these hungover!

Ospreys, Munster and Connacht as my "upsets" for the week (if Connacht revert to living legend Carty at flyhalf).

Ospreys vs Cheetahs and Benetton vs Connacht are the pick of the matches for playoff / Europe implications.

Cheetahs to grab the first away win for a South African side in the Pro 14
They already did that in Parma. And again in Port Elizabeth, but those hardly count. But it will be the first win for a South African Pro 14 side on an island. And the first South African win in a celtic country since 2013 I think, because that RWC QF was in Twickenham.

They already did that in Parma. And again in Port Elizabeth, but those hardly count. But it will be the first win for a South African Pro 14 side on an island. And the first South African win in a celtic country since 2013 I think, because that RWC QF was in Twickenham.
I'd forgotten they'd beaten Zebre and did mean "win outside of South Africa", I'm incompetent enough today!

Pfft. Not that much to get excited about this week although I'm interested to see how Frawley gets on after a positive debut last week.

Munster B v Glasgow B is irrelevant but could be interesting. Ulster could do us a massive favour in Llanelli but there isn't much reason for hope in that regard especially with Cooney in the Ireland squad.

My ever growing status as a bandwagon Benetton fan will be tested when they play Connaught, who are supposedly my second team.

Leinster (v Kings):
15. Dave Kearney
14. Barry Daly
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Isa Nacewa (captain)
11. James Lowe
10. Ciarán Frawley
9. Nick McCarthy

1. Ed Byrne
2. Bryan Byrne
3. Michael Bent
4. Mick Kearney
5. Ian Nagle
6. Josh Murphy
7. Will Connors
8. Max Deegan

Replacements:

16. James Tracy
17. Peter Dooley
18. Adam Coyle
19. Ross Molony
20. Peadar Timmins
21. Jamison Gibson-Park
22. Noel Reid
23. Jordan Larmour

Apparently both McNichol and Prydie are out for the rest of the season for Scarlets, do they have any wings left?

Apparently both McNichol and Prydie are out for the rest of the season for Scarlets, do they have any wings left?

They'll be hoping and praying that Steff Evans and Halfpenny get through the 6 nations unscathed.

When it comes down to the business end of the season, wouldn't surprise me if they continue with Patchell at fullback, Halfpenny and Steff on the wings. Or they could promote Conbeer out wide...

Dragons: Hallam Amos; Rio Dyer, Zane Kirchner, Jack Dixon, Jared Rosser; Dorian Jones, Charlie Davies; Sam Hobbs, Liam Belcher, Leon Brown, Joe Davies, Rynard Landman, Aaron Wainwright, James Benjamin, Lewis Evans (capt).

Replacements: Ellis Shipp, Gerard Ellis, Lloyd Fairbrother, Harri Keddie, Ollie Griffiths, Sarel Pretorius, Connor Edwards, Jarryd Sage.

Edinburgh: 5. Dougie Fife; Jason Harries, James Johnstone, Chris Dean, Duhan van der Merwe; Jaco van der Walt, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne; Jordan Lay, Neil Cochrane, Murray McCallum, Fraser McKenzie (capt), Lewis Carmichael, Magnus Bradbury, John Hardie, Bill Mata.

Replacements: Cameron Fenton, Rory Sutherland, Elliot Millar-Mills, Cornell du Preez, Luke Crosbie, Nathan Fowles, Duncan Weir, Junior Rasolea.

That Dragons 9/10 combo is semi pro worthy not regional. I can't see cover for 2nd row either so I'm not sure who can play the out of the back row. Griffiths to provide some impact of the bench, but other than him and Keddie it's pretty poor.

Is Ieuan Evan's boy at the Scarlets? Looked very tidy for the u20s so wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot at regional level soon, especially if that many players are injured.

Is Ieuan Evan's boy at the Scarlets? Looked very tidy for the u20s so wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot at regional level soon, especially if that many players are injured.

I'm pretty sure he's at the Ospreys, with the u20s scrum half too. Could be a longstanding combo that.

McNichol going out might be a season ruining injury for the Scarlets. Really impairs their ability to pick up points during the 6N and makes it likely they'll have an away semi in Glasgow.

Edinburgh selection pretty strong. Building a lot of depth at centre and signed Matt Scott too. Should win this one. I guess Ashton Hewitt is injured again for Dragons. He looked so good on opening day.

There are four fullbacks in that Leinster 23 and Dave Kearney is not one of them. Maloney only on the bench is another weird one. Leinster basically are playing a youth team with an international standard three-quarter line. Still vastly better than the opposition though.

Most of the focus will be on Ringrose with a view to Six Nations but Frawley could potentially leapfrog Cathal Marsh into the fourth choice 10 slot if he keeps playing as well as he did last week. There isn't really another 10 in the 23 if he goes off (other than Nacewa who could probably play tighthead prop if he put his mind to it) which indicates he's probably meant to play the whole game.

Kings are a shambles. Adam Coyle was Leinster's 6th different tighthead used this season. Ciarán Frawley, the 5th flyhalf (6th if you include Isa Nacewa's stint there against Exeter). Will Connors, Josh Murphy, Max Deegan and Peadar Timmins are the 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th choice backrowers. Nick McCarthy the 3rd choice scrum half. Ed Byrne the 3rd choice loosehead. Bryan Byrne, 4th choice hooker. Ian Nagle and Mick Kearney the 5th and 6th choice locks. Still that team puts 64 points on the Kings who can count their blessings that the didn't face a full strength team.

Not sure Ciarán Frawley was the man of the match as announced but he had a very composed first start at 10. Really happy for Adam Coyle who has worked hard to earn his debut despite but making the academy. Other main positives are Garry Ringrose getting minutes under his belt and Nick McCarthy looking very lively at 9.

Not a great night for us. Beat Glasgow but at a cost with Cloete looking like broken arm.
Great display from lads like Hart Copeland and Arnold.

The level of consistency Cockerill is getting out of Edinburgh is impressive. They were a complete abject mess under Solomon's capable of losing any game on a whim and now they are keeping the Scarlets honest. I'm looking foolish with my pessimism about his appointment as Edinburgh look firm candidates for the playoffs presumably away to Munster?

He's not remotely one dimensional and has kept a steady ship despite off field issues with players and stadia. The standout candidate for coach of the season for me with Rennie hot on his heels.

Latest posts