• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cueto: salary cap is being ignored

psychic duck

International
This salary cap cheating (chief suspects Leicester) seems to be a very open secret. Cueto from Sale is now from a list of clubs to have complained about it. Why are these complaints keeping on happening for years now yet the Premiership just seems to ignore them. Why don't they take a firm stand to stop it? The NRL in Australia stripped the Melbourne Storm of their ***les for the offence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/10354187/Mark-Cueto-Premiership-salary-cap-is-being-ignored.html

Bath have recently announced that several players have taken a paycut and said "we operate fully within the salary cap" which means before these paycuts they weren't within....

Do agree that punishments need to be more severe. I'm sure last year there was news (which wasn't even reported that much) that 4 (I think?) clubs had been found to breach the salary cap and their punishment was....nothing. They were told to go back under the salary cap and got a slap on the wrist.

Bath have recently announced that several players have taken a paycut and said "we operate fully within the salary cap" which means before these paycuts they weren't within....

Do agree that punishments need to be more severe. I'm sure last year there was news (which wasn't even reported that much) that 4 (I think?) clubs had been found to breach the salary cap and their punishment was....nothing. They were told to go back under the salary cap and got a slap on the wrist.

Exactly. It seems that it's common knowledge that a few teams are twisting the rules to cheat, Cueto is not the first to say so and Brian Smith was complaining about it at the start of the season. But there seems to be little action, and people seem to just shrug and accept it barely giving it any press.

Sponsor payments, employing players spouses, paying their kids schooling, their mortgages and sponsors "employing" players (there was talk, a few years back, of a Tigers player being a highly paid consultant for CAT, despite having 0 qualifications or experience in the field) will boost the pay packets.

Sponsor payments, employing players spouses, paying their kids schooling, their mortgages and sponsors "employing" players (there was talk, a few years back, of a Tigers player being a highly paid consultant for CAT, despite having 0 qualifications or experience in the field) will boost the pay packets.
Players caught cheating the salary system should receive lifetime bans.

It's no better than taking performance-enhancing drugs.

NO worse than MPs, millionaires using tax havens, businessmen buying personal items though the company to exclude VAT etc etc

A representative from Gloucester has now backed Cueto up, so that is at least a third of the teams in the league who have made some sort of noise about this. Interestingly, he also suggests that there have been fines dished out for breaking the cap but the news hasn't been released to the public. Are certain sides just paying to break the cap in private?

https://twitter.com/RyanWalkinshaw/status/386033278370578432

Thee were rumours that Olly Barkleys departure last year was related to salary cap issues.

The thing about the Saracens that further surprises me is that they're able to have the strongest and deepest squad, whilst being based in NW London? Really?

Normally, wages in London (and the surrounding areas) are considerably higher than in places like Northampton, because the cost of living is so high. Accommodation in London is ridiculously expensive compared to every other city involved in Premiership rugby. You burn through your salary a lot faster in London. Speaking purely from a financial perspective, if you want to match the quality of life you'd have in Gloucester/Northampton/Leicester whilst in London, you'd have to be paid considerably more.

So you'd think that either Saracens pay their players more than other clubs and struggle to match others' depth, or that they pay the same amount as other clubs and struggle to entice players.

To compare, Harlequins, also based on the outskirts of London, have the smallest squad of anyone in the top half of the table. Either they are not paying up to the salary cap (but after their success and that Nev is on £300+k, I can't see why they wouldn't be), or cost of living just makes it difficult to get more players under the cap.

Having the deepest, strongest squad in the UK whilst based in NW London? Throw in that they have the highest number of internationals, in terms of
a) current + past
b) just current and
c) 10+ cap internationals?

Hmm...

Last edited:
I've heard that Quins are ridiculously overpaying their homegrown players and fringe internationals. The likes of Tom Guest, JTH and George Robson are getting paid like they're full England players - or so I read elsewhere. Which, even allowing for London prices, seems madness.

It's a completely different tangent, but Quins need a substantial brush taken to their squad.

I've heard that Quins are ridiculously overpaying their homegrown players and fringe internationals. The likes of Tom Guest, JTH and George Robson are getting paid like they're full England players - or so I read elsewhere. Which, even allowing for London prices, seems madness.

It's a completely different tangent, but Quins need a substantial brush taken to their squad.

Quins are back where they were a few years ago. No grunt, no one to smash the gainline and be the dog in the team. Great talented players but really they need some massive forwards this year which they simply haven't brought!

Paul Doran-Jones hardly a grunty player to replace Johnson!
Kennedy was never know for his work in the tight where as Kohn worked in those areas all the time.

Thats it!!!! They need a a massive lock and some decent rough props! Oh and a decent back to smash the line again JTH hasn't been on form since....errr years

Firstly, of the two - Quins are based in a much more expensive area regarding house prices than Sarries.

But both live far enough outside of the city that you shouldn't really consider them to be in London.
Most of the Sarries guys live around St. Albans AFAIK.

On Quins' squad - PDJ has got to be one of the worst signings ever... I mean, what does he bring that Quins need?
A top 4 side starting Casson... really?

Firstly, of the two - Quins are based in a much more expensive area regarding house prices than Sarries.

But both live far enough outside of the city that you shouldn't really consider them to be in London.

On Quins' squad - PDJ has got to be one of the worst signings ever... I mean, what does he bring that Quins need?

Yup, to be close to training and The Stoop Quins players have to like in Twickenham or Richmond, very expensive. The St Albans area is still pricey but nothing on West London. Its no coincidence that Quins, traditionally a team linked with the city, are based in such an expensive bit of London. A lot of buisness types live out there and commute into central London.

As for Quins squad, don't get me started on PDJ. I think we knew the kind of players we needed to bring in but either couldn't offer the money or massively underestimated the strength of the players we were bringing in. I like Kennedy as a player but if we want to start him at lock he needs an absolute monster playing beside him.

It may be early in the season but I already see us missing out on the top 4 based on lack of power and squad depth.

Compare the red of NW London/Watford/St. Albans to the green of Leicester, Gloucester, Northampton, for example:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/heatmaps/

Quins have issues more than just up front. As noted, Casson is not a top 4 centre. Tom Williams is not a top 4 winger. And most crucially, Nick Evans is no longer a magician.

Quins have issues more than just up front. As noted, Casson is not a top 4 centre. Tom Williams is not a top 4 winger. And most crucially, Nick Evans is no longer a magician.

And Ben Botica hasn't looked anywhere near as good as he was last season so far. Evans had improved from a dismal start but we can't count on Ben coming on from the bench and sparking things up like we could last season.

Latest posts