• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

Lynagh has a much much worse haircut though, so there's only really one winner
Fair.

TBH, if we're talking about wingers who might be worth a place on the Summer Tour, I'd be more inclined to look at Murley. Probably has a lot of the qualities you like about Potter but with a bit more X factor.

Fair.

TBH, if we're talking about wingers who might be worth a place on the Summer Tour, I'd be more inclined to look at Murley. Probably has a lot of the qualities you like about Potter but with a bit more X factor.
Heartily agree, he's earned at least a training camp call up this season, but WW(e)JD?

I'd be more inclined to look at Murley
resize_265_294.png

Very sensible haircut, as well

Murley is definitely the winger I want to see involved the most over the summer

Gonna be interesting to see what the back three selection is gonna be considering every experienced winger is injured atm,

Hope to see Hassell-Collins, Murley and Radwan all involved,
Then throw in the already theres (Furbank, Malins, Steward) and maybe one of the Saints youngsters (Freeman)

Marchant will probably be utilised solely as a winger, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Lynagh tour

Why do you think 'Marchant will probably be utilised solely as a winger'?

If anything was learned from the 6N, it's that he's very good when given an opportunity at 13.

Beyond that, I agree. Freeman always impresses me and looks more comfortable on the wing than Steward or Malins.

Why do you think 'Marchant will probably be utilised solely as a winger'?

If anything was learned from the 6N, it's that he's very good when given an opportunity at 13.
I'm going off of what I expect, not what I want:
EJ likes playing players out of position and has played Marchant there multiple times before

If Farrell and Manu are fit (big if) there's congestion in the midfield and very little experience on the wings
Think we'll see both of these lineups at some point on the tour:

12. Farrell
13. Manu
14. Marchant

12. Manu
13. Slade
14. Marchant

If it were upto me then Marchant would probably be my starting 13 (if Manu is going as a 12)

Again, I agree, but this concept of 'capturing' players and aggressive targeting from Scotland and Wales in particular is creating the scenario where promising dual qualified players are being encouraged to make potentially career-defining decisions after a handful of games. It's ridiculous.
By that age they should know what nationality they are.

But we all know that's not the way it is … coercive unions making promises and trying to convince teenagers to switch allegiance is not cool at all.

Personally would be tempted to go with
1. Genge, Marler, Rodd
2. George, McGugian, Singleton
3. Sinckler, Heyes
4. Launchbury, Tizzard
5. Itoje, Isiekwe
6. Chessum, Barbeary
7. Curry, Willis, Pearson
8. Vunipola, Dombrandt, Simmonds
9. Youngs (Ergh), Uren, JVP
10. Smith, Ford
11. Cokanasiga, Arundell,
12. Farrell (Ergh), Kelly
13. Slade, Marchant,
14. Murley
15. Steward, Malins

Ok Arundell needs to be capped IMO as a winger, but he needs to be captured before Scotland or Ireland do and they will.
Would be tempted to give Arundell and Tizzard caps in the summer.
He's actually not eligible for Ireland. It's Scotland and Wales - which is more worrying as they are the worst two for granny poaches.

I agree on bringing him in as a winger. Steward is too good to leave out and it looks as though a lot of Arundell's skill set would translate to playing on the wing.

IDK on the Arundell thing.

Maybe the best compromise, and actually thinking about the player for once, would be to take him to show serious interest but not cap him.

IDK on the Arundell thing.

Maybe the best compromise, and actually thinking about the player for once, would be to take him to show serious interest but not cap him.
Yeah I'd play him vs the Barbarians, and have him as an apprentice over the summer

Gets him in the EPS and training with England, and while it doesn't lock him to England it does keep him out of SRU/WRU clutches for the summer, then we can see how he starts next season and re-evaluate come November time

Yeah I'd play him vs the Barbarians, and have him as an apprentice over the summer

Gets him in the EPS and training with England, and while it doesn't lock him to England it does keep him out of SRU/WRU clutches for the summer, then we can see how he starts next season and re-evaluate come November time
I agree, though LRZ at Gloucester and fully eligible for England but always chose Wales, his head wasnt turned by the money or anything he just knew who he wanted to play for.

Hopfully Arendalls the same, is English first and thats that rather than a Redpath.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but I'm not suggesting we cap him because he is eligible for other countries. It seems like every time he plays he comes up with outrageous moments of skill which suggests to me that he's ridiculously talented and could be a genuine bolter.

Steward aside, our back three is in a bit of a transition. No-one has convincingly replaced May and Watson but there's also no guarantee that either of those come back in the kind of form to justify dropping them straight back in. Almost every winger has a caveat and while it's fair to say OHC or Murley is more deserving of a shot than Arundell, he just looks like he's got something extra. I think it's a gamble worth taking.

Latest posts