• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

Ollie Lawrence has come back from his long injury playing well. Not a like for like with Manu, but hes been carrying hard etc. Maybe hes got the bit between his teeth now.
If he's fit maybe theres a place for him on the tour.
Can't see him being in contention for selection after EJ publicly trashed him in his autobiography, tbh

But was that Eddies means of motivating him...challenging him?
Even if it is, name calling current players whose futures you determine in a book is a really shitty thing to do. Coupled with other stories, I think Jones just simply gets a kick out of insulting others knowing there is nothing they can do about it. It's just not normal.

How often does Jones change his mind? Largely once you're out of favour that seems it to be it.

He seemed to change his views on Robshaw. Hand was forced on George. I'm sure there are others, but not many.

Watching Ben Morgan at the weekend, he's still got some pretty deft touches. That he hasn't played internationally for 7 years, is bordering on criminal.

How often does Jones change his mind? Largely once you're out of favour that seems it to be it.

He seemed to change his views on Robshaw. Hand was forced on George. I'm sure there are others, but not many.

Watching Ben Morgan at the weekend, he's still got some pretty deft touches. That he hasn't played internationally for 7 years, is bordering on criminal.
Of all the Eddie Jones things I've been annoyed about, I must say that more Ben Morgan is not one of them

He had what 30+ games with Lancaster he had good moments, but nothing too special.
Then had a series of injury problems.

and let's not forget until recently Billy was considered one of the top 8's in world rugby.

Hopefully we see Smith/Farrell/Marchant at some point
And we can pretty much directly compare that combination to Ford/Farrell(2016)/Joseph.
Whilst Farrell has improved quite significantly in the intervening 6 years, the other 2 are at about the same stage of development as their 2016 counterparts.

And we can pretty much directly compare that combination to Ford/Farrell(2016)/Joseph.
Whilst Farrell has improved quite significantly in the intervening 6 years, the other 2 are at about the same stage of development as their 2016 counterparts.
This is actually a very good comparison that I'd not really thought about

Farrell will be the 12 until the WC...get used to it...then we can look at Ojomoh, Kelly, Ollie Hartley, Seb Atkinson or whichever kids come off the rank.

Im not a big Farrell fan, but the one thing i will say is that Farrell has been a big part of some of Englands best rugby over the years...and if hes got his mojo back then that can only be a good thing. I read a report from the attack coach stating that Farrell is brutal for being on point with the plan and just does all the basics so well. He will allow Smith to just play how he does for Quins, head ups rugby.

And lets face it...we have no other options at 12...so id rather Farrell was really back in his pomp.

Farrell will be the 12 until the WC...get used to it...then we can look at Ojomoh, Kelly, Ollie Hartley, Seb Atkinson or whichever kids come off the rank.

Im not a big Farrell fan, but the one thing i will say is that Farrell has been a big part of some of Englands best rugby over the years...and if hes got his mojo back then that can only be a good thing. I read a report from the attack coach stating that Farrell is brutal for being on point with the plan and just does all the basics so well. He will allow Smith to just play how he does for Quins, head ups rugby.

And lets face it...we have no other options at 12...so id rather Farrell was really back in his pomp.
Yes, I think I agree with that. But not as captain.

TBH unless the service from 9 markedly speeds up it's all a bit moot anyway.

Yes, I think I agree with that. But not as captain.

TBH unless the service from 9 markedly speeds up it's all a bit moot anyway.
Yes i would prefer a different Captain, the problem is they arent standing up making a case for themselves...

Yeah, there's lots of leaders in the side but no real captains,
I don't rate Farrell as captain at all, but he will almost definitely get it
My 1st choice (and presumably Eddie's 2nd choice) would be Lawes - he's done decent enough with it when Farrell's been away

I always thought Curry was heir apparent but he wasn't great with it during the 6N. I reckon he's Sale's next captain (especially with Faf off, who was vice captain this season, with Tom third) so maybe he'll grow into it, only 23 so plenty of time to

This is actually a very good comparison that I'd not really thought about
It is a good comparison but id say Smith and Ford a very different in some ways, ford very good at putting people through gaps and timing the pass but stays in his 10 channel, Smith is good at that but he often ends up wider in the 12 channel making the centres make decisions, thats why i do actually think Smith Faz Marchant could actually work.

Faz just runs straight(slowly) and passes, maybe holding 1 defender but thats why they can sometimes switch in attack. To 12 10 13. But its pointless getting the ball wide if we dont have pace on the wings.

It is a good comparison but id say Smith and Ford a very different in some ways, ford very good at putting people through gaps and timing the pass but stays in his 10 channel, Smith is good at that but he often ends up wider in the 12 channel making the centres make decisions, thats why i do actually think Smith Faz Marchant could actually work.

Faz just runs straight(slowly) and passes, maybe holding 1 defender but thats why they can sometimes switch in attack. To 12 10 13. But its pointless getting the ball wide if we dont have pace on the wings.
It's also a bit pointless going wide if we don't have pace getting the ball to the wings or have done nothing to fix the defence so the winger is dealing with the entire drift defence by that point. Farrell may be able to do the basics well but he's always been poor at fixing defences himself, he relies on others to do that.

Much as I've been a fan of Slade, the 13 discussion should now be starting and finishing with Marchant. Been consistently impressive for some time and not just the highlight reel stuff.

Inside, well whisper it quietly, but it looks like Farrell has rediscovered some form.
Farrell had always executed plans well. At Sarries, he had/has Goode, Barritt, Malins and Tompkins to be his eyes.
With Smith inside making decisions i think Farrell will be even better. Marchant definitely punches above his weight and the trio could be a good combo. Add in some power in back 3 and could be good.

Latest posts