• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

prob our most balanced back row looking at it
6. Lawes, Chessum - Tall lineout options locks/6, who offer a decent carrying option and big tacklers
7. Curry, Ludlam - Traditional 7's good fetchers and skillful
8. Dombrandt, Simmonds, Alfie - Both main ball carriers but good over the ball

Now watch eddie play Curry at 8

prob our most balanced back row looking at it
6. Lawes, Chessum - Tall lineout options locks/6, who offer a decent carrying option and big tacklers
7. Curry, Ludlam - Traditional 7's good fetchers and skillful
8. Dombrandt, Simmonds, Alfie - Both main ball carriers but good over the ball

Now watch eddie play Curry at 8
Based on players with experience it will be

6. Lawes
7. Ludlam
8. Curry

I still worry about the possibility of Curry at 8 but surely this squad limits that?

It's possible Curry stays at 8 with Ludlam at 7, but I think that's unlikely.

I'd think Lawes, Curry and either Dombrandt or Barbeary at 8 is more likely.

Unless he goes full troll, puts Curry back to 7 and moves Ludlam to 8?

1) Genge Marler Rodd
2) George Cowan-Dickie Blamire
3) Sinckler Stuart Heyes
4) Itoje Chessum
5) Hill Ewels
6) Lawes (Chessum)
7) Curry Ludlam
8) Dombrandt Barbeary Simmonds

9) Youngs Randall Quirke
10) Smith Bailey
11) May Hassell-Collins
12) Farrell Atkinson
13) Slade Marchant Northmore
14) Malins Nowell
15) Steward Furbank Freeman

Guessing that a few of those outside backs won't actually be in the squad for long.

Midfield looks lightweight. 6 looks a bit bare. Otherwise, pretty pleased with that

From a Tigers point of view, keeping Ford is a blessing and Heyes is relatively straightforward to replace since Cole plays almost every game. But losing Chessum stings given the back five absentees right now.

Forgot about Daly. Could easily see him coming back in at some stage.

So Eddie has picked some really exciting players and Owen Farrell.

How excited I am to see the creation of overlaps in the opposing 22 before Farrell kicks possession away aimlessly.

I'm currently ambiguous as to whether a red card and 6 match ban would be productive or not. Maybe in the 78th minute of the Scotland game>

On a morbid note - who gets broken in Brighton?

We always seem to get a couple big ones there. Money would be on Alfie unfortunately

We always seem to get a couple big ones there. Money would be on Alfie unfortunately
Yeah, inevitably Barbeary, he's somehow tough as nails and made of glass at the same time

Wouldn't be surprised at a recurrence of Farrells injury - straight back from ankle surgery and into one of EJs camps? Gonna end in tears

My money is on Farrell, either playing this weekend or in Brighton

Trying too hard whilst trying to justify his inclusion

Also the perennial risk of a red if things get tasty v London Irish at the weekend. LI will definitely be up for it and fancy their chances

To think we have a pair of Willis' to add as back row options too... Suffice to say we shouldn't be having issues with back row depth for the coming decade.

If I was Isiekwe I'd be ******* off to Japan or wherever's paying the best for a couple of years.

Ludicrous that he can't get in a squad containing Hill, Ewels and an inexperienced if highly promising Chessum. Absolutely nuts.
Ribbans aswell...not sure what Jones doesnt like in him...that he sees Ewells...???

Definitely opportunities for some young players which we've all been hoping for.

But we also need to think about who's not there, through injury or other reasons. Would we actually be confident of our 'first choice' from the chosen squad beating this team if all available?

1. Mako
2. Walker
3. Collier / Cole
4. Launchbury
5. Kruis
6. Isiekwe / Martin
7. J Willis / B Curry / Underhill
8. Binny / T Willis
9. Care
10. Ford
11. Radwan / Sleightholme
12. Devoto / Lozowski
13. Manu
14. Daly
15. Watson

This argues towards strength in depth, but also towards a cloudy selection picture. On the premise that everything is now geared towards France, selection wise I hope Jones has a clear idea what he wants from this tournament.

Yeh I would back
1. Marler, 2. LCD, 3. Sinckler
4. Itoje, 5. Hill
6. Lawes, 7. Curry, 8. Dombrandt
9. Youngs, 10. Smith
12. Slade, 13. Marchant
11. Malins, 14. May, 15. Steward
Too beat that team and tbh do it with not that much problems.

Ribbans aswell...not sure what Jones doesnt like in him...that he sees Ewells...???
He's South African/qualified on residency is the only thing, but that's never really stopped EJ capping players in the past (i.e. Heinz)

On those grounds I'm not really that fussed - he was already a fully fledged pro player when he moved to England/for several years before he was even qualified to play for England

Latest posts