• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

Firefighters do train by setting controlled fire in buildings though. I agree with a lot of what you've said but the comparison is both jobs are dangerous, but it's about how much time you allow to prepare for that.
Tbh agree with a lot of what you say too. I still want to watch enjoyable rugby. I was more just highlighting that if people complain because it makes rugby less exciting then essentially they are saying their entertainment is more important than players health. However, there needs to be a balance between an entertaining sport and player welfare. Basically a lot comes down to wording and how you phrase it.

Firefighters do train by setting controlled fire in buildings though. I agree with a lot of what you've said but the comparison is both jobs are dangerous, but it's about how much time you allow to prepare for that.
It's not about the danger itself, it's about the whether sufficient measures have been taken to mitigate that danger.

You note yourself that danger is mitigated in the training of firefighters. Presumably there is evidence to suggest that the risk in rugby training requires further mitigation. I mentioned unintended consequences above, maybe you are right that an increased risk of injury in match play will be an unintended consequence of this change, but you will need more compelling evidence than presenting your gut feeling as fact to convince anyone who matters that it is the case.

Tbh agree with a lot of what you say too. I still want to watch enjoyable rugby. I was more just highlighting that if people complain because it makes rugby less exciting then essentially they are saying their entertainment is more important than players health. However, there needs to be a balance between an entertaining sport and player welfare. Basically a lot comes down to wording and how you phrase it.
Absolutely. It's amazing how often you see someone on Facebook suggesting that the solution is for players to sign a waiver. It might be the most gammon attitude I've come across in the whole social media cesspool. Ignoring the niavety of thinking that it's possible to get someone to sign away their rights, the attitude that this would be an acceptable solution is only a step away from condoning chattle slavery.

Ah I'm still not convinced about Lynagh....think there's better young wingers....is the name creating much of the hype......

Yeah I like Lynagh a lot and he's earned his spot,

There's guys who can feel aggrieved at being left out, but then if Lynagh had been he could be too

We have, somehow (after years of trying) got an embarrassment of riches in the back 3 atm

In terms of out and out wingers I would have Radwan, Slightholme and OHC all ahead of him.
But considering 15 was his preferred position until Green came in I guess Hodge might on talent be ahead but he's not really that talent.

It depends on what you want as balance 2 out and out wingers or the traditional 1 out and out winger and another winger who can sweep round to 15 if needed.

Healy and Kay's team for the Australia game (picked on Rugby Tonight):

Marler
LCD
Sinckler
Itoje
Hill
Lawes
Curry
Dombrandt

Robson
Smith
May
Tuilagi
Watson
Steward

In terms of out and out wingers I would have Radwan, Slightholme and OHC all ahead of him.
But considering 15 was his preferred position until Green came in I guess Hodge might on talent be ahead but he's not really that talent.

It depends on what you want as balance 2 out and out wingers or the traditional 1 out and out winger and another winger who can sweep round to 15 if needed.
At one stage I felt the same, I was never particularly excited by Lynagh and I didn't think he was anything special - quick but not rapid, good footwork but not that elusive etc. However, it's not taken me that long to change my mind. He reads the game exceptionally well and is very good in both attack and defence for such an inexperienced player. He is just a natural rugby player and I think the top 2 inches are what make him much better than just physical attributes. There's a reason he keeps scoring tries and they're generally not being served up to him on a silver platter.

Right now, I'd take Radwan ahead of him but not Sleightholme or OHC. For me, they're both quick and elusive, but I'm not convinced they have the game sense Lynagh has. Hodge reminds me of a young Jonny May who runs sideways way too much.

At one stage I felt the same, I was never particularly excited by Lynagh and I didn't think he was anything special - quick but not rapid, good footwork but not that elusive etc. However, it's not taken me that long to change my mind. He reads the game exceptionally well and is very good in both attack and defence for such an inexperienced player. He is just a natural rugby player and I think the top 2 inches are what make him much better than just physical attributes. There's a reason he keeps scoring tries and they're generally not being served up to him on a silver platter.

Right now, I'd take Radwan ahead of him but not Sleightholme or OHC. For me, they're both quick and elusive, but I'm not convinced they have the game sense Lynagh has. Hodge reminds me of a young Jonny May who runs sideways way too much.
This exactly. He always seems to do the right thing and be in the right place without making it look too difficult.

Take yesterday's try - it was absolutely nothing special in terms of what he did, but I'm not convinced OHC or Sleightholme score there either. No fancy footwork or gas, but just perfect timing and decision making.

You can train agility and speed to a decent standard, but that game brain often just doesn't appear for even the most physically talented players

Healey and Kay's team for the Australia game (picked on Rugby Tonight):

Marler
LCD
Sinckler
Itoje
Hill
Lawes
Curry
Dombrandt

Robson
Smith
May
Tuilagi
Watson
Steward
I know we don't have any particularly good options at IC, but the options we do have are still better than "literally nobody"

At one stage I felt the same, I was never particularly excited by Lynagh and I didn't think he was anything special - quick but not rapid, good footwork but not that elusive etc. However, it's not taken me that long to change my mind.
Ok ill accept that BPM....maybe you have seen more of him than i have to make that call. I'll hold my judgement until i see more of him.

Think that's harsh on Sleightholme and (especially) OHC tbh - both are intelligent players

Think that's harsh on Sleightholme and (especially) OHC tbh - both are intelligent players
Oh they very much are, I wasn't slagging them off, but it seems to be Lynaghs biggest strength imo. There is no other reason he should be so good

Latest posts