• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

How well has Farrell looked for Sarries so far this season?

I've only watch 1 game but he looked pretty decent.

How well has Farrell looked for Sarries so far this season?

I've only watch 1 game but he looked pretty decent.
He's definitely looked better, but you have to remember this is behind a very strong pack at domestic level. He has a lot less time at international level and won't be behind a pack that is completely dominating the opposition.

However for me the big issue is that he is not captain material. When England are losing he looks completely clueless and has no idea how to change tactics to try to fix the situation. Further he seems to stick rigidly to EJ's tactics and doesn't think for himself or play what is in front of him. Maybe he'll prove us all wrong, but at the moment still he doesn't look like international quality.

I think Eddie will go

Genge
George
Sinckler
Itoje
Hill
Lawes
Underhill
Curry
Youngs
Smith
May
Farrell
Manu
Malins
Furbank

I don't like that at all but think Eddie might go for it.

I can't see Furbank near the starting 15 tbh, both Malins and Steward are ahead of him for 15 and Radwan would be a better wing option.

As a bench option he might make the 23 but if Farrell/Smith are playing then it's a waste of a spot as his dual fly half/fullback versatility isn't needed.

Loved the quote from Bob Dwyer - "Pick the players with things you cant coach, because you can coach the other stuff"
So simple and basic, yet so true.

I can't see Furbank near the starting 15 tbh, both Malins and Steward are ahead of him for 15 and Radwan would be a better wing option.
Agree totally. I can't see how Furbank is being picked but I guess it's another of Eddie's foibles.

Guessing they'll name whoever it is after this round of games

Mako the obvious choice but I wouldn't be surprised at Rodd - I think Marler and Genge will play the lion's share, Obano/his replacement really just there to hold tackle bags/take part in live scrum drills and maybe get 10-20 vs Tonga

England squad for Tonga updated...

FORWARDS
Jamie Blamire (Newcastle Falcons, 2 caps)
Callum Chick (Newcastle Falcons, 2 caps)
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 33 caps)
Trevor Davison (Newcastle Falcons, 1 cap)
Nic Dolly (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins, 1 cap)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 23 caps)
Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 30 caps)
Jamie George (Saracens, 59 caps)
Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, 9 caps)
Maro Itoje (Saracens, 48 caps)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 87 caps)
Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 10 caps)
Joe Marler (Harlequins, 72 caps)
George Martin (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)
Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs, 7 caps)
Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 44 caps)
Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 12 caps)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 24 caps)

BACKS
Mark Atkinson (Gloucester Rugby, uncapped)
Owen Farrell (Saracens, 93 caps)
Tommy Freeman (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
George Furbank (Northampton Saints, 4 caps)
Louis Lynagh (Harlequins, uncapped)
Max Malins (Saracens, 8 caps)
Joe Marchant (Harlequins, 6 caps)
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 66 caps)
Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Raffi Quirke (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
Adam Radwan (Newcastle Falcons, 1 cap)
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 40 caps)
Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 2 caps)
Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 2 caps)
Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks, 43 caps)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 109 caps)

Last edited:
I mean also a bit of a hit piece though, Coaches who got fired and Players who got dropped.
Dean Benton has had 17 different jobs and worked under eddie for over 2 years.

IDK the fact that Hartley compared it to Scotland, Wales, Ireland and wish it was more fun, well how many RWC finals did those players get too?
It's international rugby end of the day not a lions tour.

Interesting
"Steve Borthwick was the coach who had the worst of it, burdened with the role of Jones's long-term punchbag." yet you consider how much Borthwick respects him

It's a tricky one.
On one hand Eddie sounds like a dick (Which is obvious anyway) on another hand it's international rugby and the standards should be bloody high. Like it's no doubt he's broken players and coaches but the ones who seemed to endure it have IMO come out as better players and Coaches like Borthwick, Curry, Itoje, etc

Latest posts