• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

Martin looks bigger in person than he does when I've seen him on the Telly tbh.
Mind no point talking about him at lock till he plays there.
From what I gather Eddie wants to see him carrying more which he's worked on and hence why he's covered 8 at times.

TBF the guy is only 20.

I really rate Martin but think his future is at 6 rather than at lock. Something about the way he's built just doesn't seem quite right for lock, and I think he plays much more like a big physical blindside. That, plus the fact that there are the 2 Chessums coming through at Tigers who both seem to be more suited to lock than Martin is.

And who knows what the back row balance will be in years to come?

The game will evolve and Jones has pinballed around. Who knows whether a big 6 will be in vogue post Lawes?

Martin looks bigger in person than he does when I've seen him on the Telly tbh.
Mind no point talking about him at lock till he plays there.
From what I gather Eddie wants to see him carrying more which he's worked on and hence why he's covered 8 at times.

TBF the guy is only 20.
Thats the thing...hes only 20. He will bulk up as well...so he could end up near the 20 stone mark as hes already pushing 19....

Dopnt forget Kruis and Launchbury both started mostly at 6...and eventually moved to lock...

However...if he becomes the beast at 6 we're all looking for...then we're still in a great position.

The balance changes when you get a fairly unique player who combines some of the roles, like Pocock who was both a carrier and a fetcher, or Read who was a lineout operator as well as an extra distributor/link player

So has Eddie basically confirmed on the podcast that Farrell starts at 12...? Looks like it.

So has Eddie basically confirmed on the podcast that Farrell starts at 12...? Looks like it.
He said Smith is 10 and Farrell is 12.

However, when probed by Dawson (first time I have ever been impressed by Dawson) he definitely gave the impression that this was a chance for Farrell to change and that he was on last chance based on historic service

Surely Farrell has used up all credit in the bank last year, or the year before. Or at every 3 or 2 on 1 he misses.
Or each ref he shouts at.

On the plus side, he's cut down his rushing out of the line, leaving a gaping hole in defence to just 2-3 times per match

The balance changes when you get a fairly unique player who combines some of the roles, like Pocock who was both a carrier and a fetcher, or Read who was a lineout operator as well as an extra distributor/link player

I think it also depends on the calibre of player available. But interesting that the runners up in the last 2 RWCs both squeezed in 2 open sides. I agree with having some size, muscle and aggression at 6, but I wouldn't mind if that was someone like Willis who's essentially a big open side rather than someone of lock proportions / mindset. Part depends on the amount of heft in the row, but plenty of ways to skin the cat.

However, when probed by Dawson (first time I have ever been impressed by Dawson) he definitely gave the impression that this was a chance for Farrell to change and that he was on last chance based on historic service
If that's the case then he's setting him up to fail given the lack of rugby Faz has had.

Last edited:
If Farrell is starting, which looks likely then the best thing is to not have him as captain...and just let him assist Smith in controlling the game, kicking well at 12 and being a good link man when we have the ball.

Keep him away from the refs.

For all the dislike of Farrell...we must admit that some of the best rugby we have played under Eddie has been with Farrell at 12.

We just need to not be so rigid in tactics like we have recently...something Eddie himself has admitted HE instructed. So its not all Farrells fault...Ford and Farrell have followed gameplans as instructed.

If Farrell is starting, which looks likely then the best thing is to not have him as captain...and just let him assist Smith in controlling the game, kicking well at 12 and being a good link man when we have the ball.
Jones was quoted in the Times as saying Faz would captain if fit.

The amount of hate Farrell gets does annoy me. Okay he might not necessarily deserve to be in the side on current form but he has still put his heart and soul into playing for his country for a decade now. He deserves more respect in my opinion.

The amount of hate Farrell gets does annoy me. Okay he might not necessarily deserve to be in the side on current form but he has still put his heart and soul into playing for his country for a decade now. He deserves more respect in my opinion.
That's fair.

Farrell's always given everything he's had to the cause and over 90+ caps there have inevitably been massive highs and lows. But I think most of the anger is not directed at the player, but at Jones for continuing to blindly pick him when not warranted.

A couple of years ago he was one of the best backs in the world and while you don't *have* to pick a guy like that when he's out of nick let's not act like it's a disaster either.

That's fair.

Farrell's always given everything he's had to the cause and over 90+ caps there have inevitably been massive highs and lows. But I think most of the anger is not directed at the player, but at Jones for continuing to blindly pick him when not warranted.
Agreed. From what I see, the anger directed at Farrell is mostly his high "tackle"s, his jumping out of the line in defence, and his ******* off the referee.
Anger about Farrell is very different, and is about his selection in the first place, hype etc etc.

I don't see any hatred of Farrell. Difference of opinion =/= hatred.

A couple of years ago he was one of the best backs in the world and while you don't *have* to pick a guy like that when he's out of nick let's not act like it's a disaster either.
I don't agree that that's ever been the case; in any calendar year.

Latest posts