• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

Guys as a falcon fan....Radwan is not in form at all. But Daly? Curious.

I'd start OHC on the wing...

Last edited:
Depressingly it suggests EJ is not finished with Daly. No way is he being picked on form, he's picked because he's an EJ favourite still. Having said that Steward's performances should have secured him the 15 shirt for any unbiased coach.

I saw someone on twatter refer to him as EFD, which sums it up for me.

bUt He'S gOt A hUgE bOoT....

SO we're probably going to end up starting with Daly and Nowell on the wings. I'm not saying they can't play (because they obviously can) but it's not a statement of all-out attack, is it? It's the sort of selection which says 'we might dominate for 65 minutes and hopefully scrape a 3 point win'...

Probably end up at OC instead of Slade.

Daly played very well at the weekend. It's been a good while since Radwan played well … he played OK vs. Tonga and has been poor post-AIs.

After Malins, Nowell is probably the form wing ATM. I like Haskell-Collins, but I'd question whether he's ready to go straight in against Scotland.

Daly played very well at the weekend. It's been a good while since Radwan played well … he played OK vs. Tonga and has been poor post-AIs.

After Malins, Nowell is probably the form wing ATM. I like Haskell-Collins, but I'd question whether he's ready to go straight in against Scotland.

Having just checked the teams for the Sunday game, Daly was at FB v Not London Irish's Stongest Backline. I know he can only play what's in front of him, but he's been out injured and now come back at FB. I'd rather see OHC (virtually every minute this season)

I think it'll be Steward, Malins and another making up the back three with it probably being Nowell next in line if you put anything in the original squad selection.

Only issue with Nowell coming in is that it's not massively blessed with pace especially if you compare it to Scotland's like back 3 of Hogg, Duhan & Graham.

I think it'll be Steward, Malins and another making up the back three with it probably being Nowell next in line if you put anything in the original squad selection.

Only issue with Nowell coming in is that it's not massively blessed with pace especially if you compare it to Scotland's like back 3 of Hogg, Duhan & Graham.
I agree.

It depends on the conditions though. If it's a crappy day, which is fairly likely up there, aerial skills, defensive positioning and kicking might be more important than pace.

BTW - before anyone picks me up on it, I do know it's Hassell-Collins and not Haskell-Collins. Blame the auto correct.

I agree.

It depends on the conditions though. If it's a crappy day, which is fairly likely up there, aerial skills, defensive positioning and kicking might be more important than pace.

BTW - before anyone picks me up on it, I do know it's Hassell-Collins and not Haskell-Collins. Blame the auto correct.
Where's that James Haskell likes this post image when you need it?

Where's that James Haskell likes this post image when you need it?
Dont have the gif on hand. Best I can do is a beeb link

He likes that post tho

Yeah, the way the RFU statement is worded suggests as much. It seems to stress that Lawes is out 'this week' due to return to play protocols whereas there's no mention of timescales for May or Farrell.

I think Mr Burns has it right re. Daly from an experience POV. I really rate Radwan but he hasn't strengthened his case since the AIs. Daly did look in very good form yesterday. It was always likely he'd come in to the mix across the tournament. I don't mind him being picked so long as it's on the wing and not 15.
If Daly is in then he is a very good 23, Steward 1st choice 15, Malins at 14 as 2nd choice 15 with Daly at 23 covering 11 13 14 15. Maybe even do something crazy and use him at 13 for once given all of his pre England career was 13.

Im not his biggest fan but I dont mind having experience and pace on the bench because he isnt a bad player.

I know people have their ideas about how much slower Nowell is than other wingers but I've not really watched him much this season after his injury.

Any chiefs fans to comment, is it top end pace and has it been an issue this season yet?

There might be a couple of tight selection decisions in the pack for Murrayfield but we've got a pretty good idea what that will look like.

The backs however…..

One way or another this will be the 29th different midfield combination Jones has fielded. Just pause on that stat for a moment, it's quite astonishing.

Youngs and Steward are presumably nailed on, likewise Slade although possibly not in his favoured shirt. Smith ought to be, but Ford's presence complicates things, particularly if the weather lends itself to more of a kicking game.

Who partners Slade is anyone's guess. I think I'd prefer Atkinson but suspect it will probably be Marchant.

Not blown away by any of our wing options. We've lost our 2 guaranteed starters and the next big things of Coka, Thorley and Radwan have amounted to little so far although there's still some hope. For continuity purposes Malins should probably get a shirt. You'd like some experience on the other wing which means Nowell or Daly. Nowell's pace is always an issue and while Daly is less of a liability on the wing than FB he never looks entirely instinctive at anywhere other than centre. With fingers crossed I'd probably go for Nowell out of the 2 of them - he's in form and while he might get done for pace he's whole hearted, can make yards in heavy traffic and less likely to embarrassingly screw up. Marchant might be another option, but I'm inclining towards OHC who at least is an out and out winger. Would mean a callow back 3, but on balance a risk worth taking.

Why not just go...

10 Smith
11 Daly
12 Slade
13 Marchant
14 Malins
15 Steward

Then we have playmakers 10-14 and a brick wall at 15.
I reckon this is what it'll be

If it were any other utility back 3 player than Daly it'd make a lot sense - three fullbacks to counter the kicking game etc., but Daly is poor under the high ball and his defensive positioning on the wing is very suspect

There might be a couple of tight selection decisions in the pack for Murrayfield but we've got a pretty good idea what that will look like.

The backs however…..

One way or another this will be the 29th different midfield combination Jones has fielded. Just pause on that stat for a moment, it's quite astonishing.

Youngs and Steward are presumably nailed on, likewise Slade although possibly not in his favoured shirt. Smith ought to be, but Ford's presence complicates things, particularly if the weather lends itself to more of a kicking game.

Who partners Slade is anyone's guess. I think I'd prefer Atkinson but suspect it will probably be Marchant.

Not blown away by any of our wing options. We've lost our 2 guaranteed starters and the next big things of Coka, Thorley and Radwan have amounted to little so far although there's still some hope. For continuity purposes Malins should probably get a shirt. You'd like some experience on the other wing which means Nowell or Daly. Nowell's pace is always an issue and while Daly is less of a liability on the wing than FB he never looks entirely instinctive at anywhere other than centre. With fingers crossed I'd probably go for Nowell out of the 2 of them - he's in form and while he might get done for pace he's whole hearted, can make yards in heavy traffic and less likely to embarrassingly screw up. Marchant might be another option, but I'm inclining towards OHC who at least is an out and out winger. Would mean a callow back 3, but on balance a risk worth taking.
The Scottish back three is pretty good and I'm not sure throwing OHC in to a debut test at Murrayfield is a good idea - even more so if the conditions are poor. I don't think he's likely to be able to play to his strengths and the weaker aspects of his game would be exposed.

While I'd much prefer to see Marchant at 13, but I wouldn't be that surprised to see him used out wide - he's defensively excellent and is handy under the high ball.

Assuming he's not used on the wing, I'm curious as to why would you prefer Atkinson over Marchant? Atkinson offers size and is a similar kind of 12 to what Smith is used to at Quins. However, I think in all other respects, Marchant is a far superior player who has always looked good when he's had chances with England.

Latest posts