• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

George Ford targeting late December for his return from injury. Hopefully that gives him some time to regain form before the Six Nations squad is selected, but it's pretty tight.
Honestly rightly or wrongly he doesnt really have a chance unless Faz or Smith gets injured.

Honestly rightly or wrongly he doesnt really have a chance unless Faz or Smith gets injured.
We don't know that.

I'm still of the view that Eddie knows he can bring Ford back in late in the day knowing that he'll be able to slot straight in.

Investing the game time in Smith might still have a high pay off. If it doesn't, Ford comes back in. Even if Smith/Farrell clicks and works well, that still opens up a spot for Ford as the logical back up to Smith.

We don't know that.

I'm still of the view that Eddie knows he can bring Ford back in late in the day knowing that he'll be able to slot straight in.

Investing the game time in Smith might still have a high pay off. If it doesn't, Ford comes back in. Even if Smith/Farrell clicks and works well, that still opens up a spot for Ford as the logical back up to Smith.
Up to a point.

If Ford starts playing again at the end of the year it will only be 8 months to the RWC and he's going to need quite a bit of time before he really hits his straps - so mid 6N at the earliest. If Jones is going to change FH horses that's only a couple of proper games plus irrelevant warm ups for Ford to get to get used to (hopefully) a new SH who he might know a little from Tigers training field and whatever game plan / centre combination Jones dreams up at a time when the team should being polished, not changing the conductor. And while Ford has tons of experience it's not like the team hasn't been clunky with him at helm at times either.

I'm more inclined towards the Scotty viewpoint. Its hard to see Ford back except for injury.

Yeah. I guess we'll find out.

Although in a scenario where Ford rejoins the squad late I do genuinely believe that he is experienced enough and good enough to deal with whatever's thrown at him.

Let's face it, there's not going to be such a tactical revolution that he's seeing things that are totally new.

Let's face it, there's not going to be such a tactical revolution that he's seeing things that are totally new.
Eh? Have you not been listening?

Eddie's just been working on the basics. He has an oven ready amazing attacking game up his sleeve that he's keeping from prying eyes so it can be unleashed on an unsuspecting world in the RWC.

Do pay attention @BPM.

Last edited:
Good interview but a lot of it feels a bit...naive?

Why would players have been involved in PRL's salary cap decision? I understand that it's their wages but it's a decision for the administrators and arbitrators, players aren't going to vote for a paycut
I'm surprised players didn't pay agents themselves before

And then his talk about how players deserve more money - whilst it is true that players put their bodies in the line for (comparatively, compared to some other top sports) modest sums, where is this extra money coming from? When clubs are losing money hand over fist?

Good interview but a lot of it feels a bit...naive?

Why would players have been involved in PRL's salary cap decision? I understand that it's their wages but it's a decision for the administrators and arbitrators, players aren't going to vote for a paycut
I'm surprised players didn't pay agents themselves before

And then his talk about how players deserve more money - whilst it is true that players put their bodies in the line for (comparatively, compared to some other top sports) modest sums, where is this extra money coming from? When clubs are losing money hand over fist?
Cause in America (home of the salary caps) they are negotiated with the player's union. A competition unilaterally imposing a salary cap on players would be an anti trust violation.

Cause in America (home of the salary caps) they are negotiated with the player's union. A competition unilaterally imposing a salary cap on players would be an anti trust violation.
Would be interesting if there was a revenue share agreement the same as US. Assume it wouldn't be worth much in Eng prem rugby tho.

Jones having a go at the public school system in the Times - doesn't produce leaders, don't see kids playing touch in the park etc.

2003 was just a 'situational success'. (We'll overlook the identity of the coach of the losing finalists….).

Obviously been good enough to get to other RWC finals in 91, 07 and 19 (We'll overlook the identity of the coach in the last one who confessed to getting selection wrong……).

Ireland have been pretty successful recently and none of their players went to public school did they?

He has a point on the leadership though. I blame academies more than schools for that. We'll also overlook the identity of the coach who doesn't seem to empower players or allow anything other than his way.

Roll on 2024. I'm almost past caring what happens in France.

You mean the Ireland that never gotten past the quarters?

2003 - could be wrong but I think Johnson didn't come from a private school

In fact in that 2003 pack most came from state funded schools I believe.

I think of the 13 Prem teams 3 team captains last year came from the Private school route
Ross
Launchbury
Hill
Rest either state funded the whole time or got plucked to a ASSE College

Last edited:

Latest posts