• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs South Africa 20 / 11 / 2021

Im really curious to see how Smith goes this weekend, potentially behind a beaten pack, and in defence having some big men running at him. If he gets some good ball and puts in a good show,

So far he has held his own in defence very well. Ive said before that Smith is an 80 min 10 if you start him and take off when defence is tiring your losing out so im glad that Malins can go wing if we dont need to replace Smith.

I imagine Malins will replace him not Slade tbh Slade is not a good 10.

Really dont care about the scrum(it is important), we likely wont be winning that battle. But im happy for young lads getting a shot. Got Marler as backup.

Im really curious to see how Smith goes this weekend, potentially behind a beaten pack, and in defence having some big men running at him. If he gets some good ball and puts in a good show,

So far he has held his own in defence very well. Ive said before that Smith is an 80 min 10 if you start him and take off when defence is tiring your losing out so im glad that Malins can go wing if we dont need to replace Smith.

I imagine Malins will replace him not Slade tbh Slade is not a good 10.

Really dont care about the scrum(it is important), we likely wont be winning that battle. But im happy for young lads getting a shot. Got Marler as backup.
Smith was our top tackler last week I believe - he doesn't normally dominate the contact but if they just run into him all day he'll happily make his hits

Yep. That was my immediate reaction too. Although in fairness, I think that's more or less the default position of South African rugby anyway …
There does seem to be a fairly well ingrained persecution complex at play with the Saffas.

Smith was our top tackler last week I believe - he doesn't normally dominate the contact but if they just run into him all day he'll happily make his hits
Yeah but if he gets knocked back in every tackle then he is a weak link in defence and the whole team has to huddle round and protect him. Oh wait, we weren't talking about Ford?

My SA friends just can't wait for de Allende to smash Smith.
Let's hope he manages to sidestep him ! :oops:

'His lineout is a work in progress…'
Thanks for the confidence booster.
Its solid, just an area it can improve being one of the key aspects of his role.

I see Nick Easter one of our current coaches has said Jamie is licking his lips at the physical encounter with the Boks. He said Jamie absolutely thrives on it....

I think everyone agrees that this is going to be a real challenge for England if we struggle to hold our own in the set piece, which by all accounts we will. But that doesn't mean that all is lost. Don't forget, Japan turned them over, with almost certainly a less capable set piece pack. If Jones is clever he will get the lads to move the ball around like Japan did. Don't line up easy hits for SA, or run head long into their monsters to get turned over. Move them left and right over and over. Threaten quick taps, dinks over the top, keep their defence guessing. We certainly can't beat them at their own game with this team, hell we couldn't do it in the WC with tonnes more experience, so why even try?!

They've got size up front, but we've got a young, mobile, and pretty rapid pack, with some backs with decent hands and a 10 with an eye for a gap. It's time for some Guerrilla warfare on the pitch. Be unexpected, take a chance, because in the end, when no one expects you can win, what have you got to lose.

So fingers crossed for some full on champagne rugby from our boys tomorrow. Personally, I can't wait.

I just don't see any top tier nation throwing away their own gameplan in order to maximise their chances in 1 single "friendly" match.
It's just not how rugby works.

You can tinker, and play around the edges of your game plan, but you don't just abandon it.
It's one of the problems facing anyone who isn't NZ or SA - you need very different gameplans to maximise your chances against either; but to win a RWC, you pretty much have to beat both of them - without massively changing what you are doing.

The thing I'd say is most attacks have the options for playing a variety of ways they can play, massive play calls, and during the week will try and narrow down areas of attack, whether that be the use of chips, snapping back to the short side, flat crash balls or giving the option for pull backs, how often they look to run the ball etc. So it'll be about determining where they attack and how, but make no mistake, I think the offensive systems today are all about the ball carrier having options, and making decisions on what they see and have worked on manipulating throughout the week

I see Nick Easter one of our current coaches has said Jamie is licking his lips at the physical encounter with the Boks. He said Jamie absolutely thrives on it....
Coach backs player in public shock. He's not going to say anything else.

Expecting him to be bang up for the fight is a minimum requirement. As an England fan I hope he does well, but you have to be realistic that this will be several notches up from anything he has faced before.

Coach backs player in public shock. He's not going to say anything else.

Expecting him to be bang up for the fight is a minimum requirement. As an England fan I hope he does well, but you have to be realistic that this will be several notches up from anything he has faced before.
Absolutely...its a notch up from what most players in the world face. But hey...hes there...hes good enough.

No Jamie George, no LCD....who do you want in there? Blamire could go to the next two world cups....this is invaluable experience for him.

No Jamie George, no LCD....who do you want in there? Blamire could go to the next two world cups....this is invaluable experience for him.
How about Falcons first choice, McGuigan? Or Dunn / Taylor as a horses for courses selection for this one match. All are a lot more experienced which may matter with our prop situation.

It's a great opportunity for Blamire and he might have an international future. If things don't go well though there's always the risk of Jones pulling 'an Isiekwe' and casting him into the wilderness on the basis of very little. I'd hate for that to happen to Blamire or anyone else.

How about Falcons first choice, McGuigan? Or Dunn / Taylor as a horses for courses selection for this one match. All are a lot more experienced which may matter with our prop situation.

It's a great opportunity for Blamire and he might have an international future. If things don't go well though there's always the risk of Jones pulling 'an Isiekwe' and casting him into the wilderness on the basis of very little. I'd hate for that to happen to Blamire or anyone else.
Mcguigan is off to Munster and Ireland. PLus hes the same age as LCD and George so Jones isnt interested...

Taylor has never really been considered...and Dunn..well not sure what went on there to be honest.

I get that Blamire is incredibly inexperienced...but im confident he'll be fine.

Isiekwe has failed to really fulfil his potential...until now. Suddenly this season hes now putting in excellent performances and i would have had him in this squad...baring in mind hes still only 23 he could be a very good shout for the 6n.

Dunn..well not sure what went on there to be honest.
His form has fallen off a cliff.
Last year he was rightly benching for England, but Eddie didn't trust him, and we fans didn't know why.
I can only conclude that Eddie saw something the rest of us didn't.
Dunn has been terrible this year

Genuinely, I'd guessed he was like 26 or something

Discarded by Eddie because, as a 19yr old, he was outmuscled by the Snyman/Mostert/PSdT - madness
And that's exactly what I don't want to see happen to any of Blamire / Dolly / Rodd if they get schooled tomorrow. Lot of potential and slightly older than Isiekwe was, but extremely raw in experience terms.

And that's exactly what I don't want to see happen to any of Blamire / Dolly / Rodd if they get schooled tomorrow. Lot of potential and slightly older than Isiekwe was, but extremely raw in experience terms.
The bright side is that even if those guys do get pushed to the side by EJ, its only another couple of years until a new coach comes in.

Latest posts