• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England's Argetine Adventure

The back row getting outplayed by Michael Hooper would be another example as the issue getting exploited.

People seem to have forgotten about those Australia and South Africa November matches for England after the Norovirus New Zealand one. It seemed that all their issues as to why they lost to those two sides neither of whom were particularly inspiring in November were simply forgotten after one match.

Without that New Zealand match, I wonder whether Lancaster may have selected the better wingers that were available than the 6 Nations ones, given Twelvetrees a proper run of games after impressing against Scotland, and not decided that Farrell was a locked down choice for fly half.

This. as much as I like what SL has done with the England team we were less impressive this year compared to last. Players such as Ashton should have been dropped and 36 should have been given more of a chance but given we had just hammered the all blacks it was very hard to drop anyone involved in that game.

off-topic, but: is Pocock the best fetcher of all-time, or have I missed out on some great other ones earlier ? (dunno much before the 90's, and the 90's themselves I barely know).
Just I've never seen anyone remotely close to Pocock's efficiency in that regard so...
Brüssow 2009 deserves to fight for that spot too. And also, people seem to forget how good McCaw was at fetching when the rules allowed it. And I also have a soft spor for George Smith (there's a youtube video on Pocock/Smith againt Wales that is to die for (or to ********** to)).

I've lost this post twice now so I'll settle for saying I believe we all agree that while the back row is not a priority, Kvesic fulfilling his potential rapidly would be a huge plus for England and would probably result in him securing England's 7 shirt in short order.

Well, that and most English/Kiwi/Oz/Scots etc.etc. back rows in France seem to adapt to their model just fine.

Kvesic's value was felt in the first couple of mins in the Barbarians game he won a turnover -burns scored.
I actually think against out and out 7s England will struggle a little. BUt as Robshaw is such a great competitor with amazing work rate he will always be int he game and not be completely outplayed. Its just Kvesic will just give you that special turnover to tip a tight game/at cruicial times so you can win the game.

Prepare for purple.

Oh God help us now. The Argentinians will be baying for blood already, never mind when England come out dressed in that.

Am I right in thinking that it's the home team that is supposed to change to accommodate the visitors? Courtesy and all that. Is it another excuse for the RFU to try and market the purple turd that is the alternative kit?

The purple kit is actually quite a good kit, if a little effeminate.
But purple is not an English heraldric colour afaik so it's ****ing retarded.

The away team should rightly have to wear their "away" kit in the case of a clash...

Am I right in thinking that it's the home team that is supposed to change to accommodate the visitors? Courtesy and all that. Is it another excuse for the RFU to try and market the purple turd that is the alternative kit?

Usually but the RFU will want to try and shift some of these before they release abother change kit this autumn (which I presume they'll do).

t.

Correct, in theory in a clash the home side are the ones who should change their kits (its why the now-away kits were/are called change strips)

I'd prefer Argentina to change as their other kit is going to be 1000% nicer than the Purple Monster

It does seem to be the exception rather than the rule. In the Six Nations home teams changed, (Italy vs France, Scotland vs Italy, and France vs Scotland) as did Ireland against the Springboks last Autumn. Perhaps the Argentinians asked? I know the All Blacks did against France in the RWC final.

I wouldn't mind if it was the traditional navy blue, or at least red and white. As said, purple's got bugger-all to do with England.

EPS should be amended in half-a-month. My squad would be (new additions in bold):

Props: Vunipola, Corbisiero, Marler, Cole, Wilson
Hookers: Youngs, Webber, Hartley
Locks: Launchbury, Parling, Lawes, Attwood
Backrow: Croft, Robshaw, Wood, Kvesic, Morgan, Vunipola
Scrum-halves: Care, Youngs, Dickson
Fly-halves: Burns, Farrell, Flood
Centers: Twelvetrees, Barritt/Eastmond, Tuilagi
Outside backs: Wade, Yarde, May, Daly, Brown, Foden

Dropping out are: Haskell, Johnson, Clark, Waldrom, Joseph, Ashton, Goode, Strettle

Daly is my surprise pick. I thought he played well in a bad team (Barbarians). As an OC/wing/fullback, he's a perfect contender for the 23 shirt. He's got a big future, and I want to see him nurtured. Has lots of pace, great vision in attack and a massive left boot. He may be just getting used to 15, so has a long way to go. But his potential is amazing.

Just look at the PKs he can do (really want him to be the goal kicker for Wasps next season):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_BmW-Xf-wQ#t=1m39s

His power:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDlZX6559so#t=1m15s

Step-and-pace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvvXM3boQAY#t=10s

Score against England:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSlxJvKbn6E

There's also this wonder try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pak5t9N0zk

Clearance kicking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybr8RQysQ78 :)p)

Need I go on! Great in attack, would love him at Glos. Ok, so he's only had a handful of games at fullback. But I think he looks a natural there. Maybe a season too early, but would rather him in the squad training with England and getting the experience, than someone who isn't getting much out of being third-choice fullback.

Most of the rest are pretty obvious. Lawes is a little lucky, I'm disappointed not to be able to include Fraser, Clark may be a little unlucky not having had a shot to keep his place, would prefer Simpson/Robson to step up and replace Dickson soon, Barritt/Eastmond is a tricky one as I can see the uses in both (maybe extend the squad by 1 and take both?).

Last edited:

Latest posts