• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Ireland v Australia 16/11/13

Yeah but their players aren't as good as ours! :p

Who would you have at thirteen ahead of O'Driscoll or Mcfadden for that matter?

Ulster have Olding and Cave. Olding is injured. Cave is an option. He has been playing well where as BOD hasn't. It's too late now cos he didn't make the squad. Always felt his inability to play other positions went against him with BOD being a sure choice. It shouldn't be about who's the better player but who is actually playing well. BOD hasn't lived up to his name for a good while now. Anyway, doesn't Schmidt see Henshaw as the future?

Ulster have Olding and Cave. Olding is injured. Cave is an option. He has been playing well where as BOD hasn't. It's too late now cos he didn't make the squad. Always felt his inability to play other positions went against him with BOD being a sure choice. It shouldn't be about who's the better player but who is actually playing well. BOD hasn't lived up to his name for a good while now. Anyway, doesn't Schmidt see Henshaw as the future?

Yeah, but I'd still take Mcfadden ahead of Cave he has never played badly for Ireland and I don't think Drico is done yet either, he is just back from what a 7 week injury?

Yeah but their players aren't as good as ours! :p

Who would you have at thirteen ahead of O'Driscoll or Mcfadden for that matter?

Haha we'll see about that ;)
Well from what Peat said last night and what I've heard this morning it looks like Olding is out for the season. So now I probably wouldn't drop BOD and I'd hope he'll be very up for this match - but then again we say that about a lot of his matches lol.
If he wasn't out do you think Madigan - Olding - Marshall could have worked?

9: Murray
10: Madigan
11: Trimble
12: Marshall
13: Bowe / BOD
14: Fitzgerald / Bowe
15: Kearney

Trimble is in good form and I see no reason at all why McFadden or D.Kearney would be ahead of him. D.Cave is another we haven't really mentioned but I wouldn't drop BOD for him.

Bowe 13 anyone?

Yeah, but I'd still take Mcfadden ahead of Cave he has never played badly for Ireland and I don't think Drico is done yet either, he is just back from what a 7 week injury?

McFadden is good at gaining yards but he's never struck me as a guy who had the distribution or awareness of those around him to be a viable option in an international midfield. If BOD's performances are down to him being back from injury then he shouldn't have been rushed in. It isn't an excuse for poor performances. As supporters we've used excuse after excuse for him because he has been an amazing player. But he isn't any more. I hope he pulls something out of the bag against the ABs with it being his last against them but he's only human. He can only do what his body will let him. It seems Olding is the only player that every one can agree as a realistic long term option.

Edit. Oh and Payne! But it's sad to think we are desperate for a reject from another country to solve our midfield problems.

Does it look like BO'D's smiling at 0:16 or is it just me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably laughing at POM's delayed reaction and then giving it the big I Am.....yet again.

K, just watched it, a few things if you may:

- it went as I expected overall. Australia were happy with merely conceding penalties, and managed to keep Ireland from scoring tries. I thought their game would look like this, and it's what they did. "Ireland, come in and get 3 points each time. We'll take 7 when we go down your side of the field". Some of those plays Ireland just couldn't get the try, Aussies were glad to concede just 3.

- Aussie backs looked good, they're having a very good November thus far. Just more athletic in general than the Green backs, downright faster. Cummins can sprint like a mofo, and has good upper body strength. Bowe had a lot of trouble putting him down when he almost scored that try.

- Irish backs looked OK overall, and very sharp in stretches. They looked both promising for the future and a little perplexity-inspiring. Australia defended well this game, but usually are full of holes on defense, and Ireland must hope this was just bad form inherently to the game's rhythm just that match and will flourish again later. But overall, the Irish backs looked very European. Some good movement and combinations though, but just no finish. The whole way. The entire 80minutes against AUS. They had some golden opportunities, at least like 4-5 BIG momentum-laden, open field races, that concluded to a maximum of 3 points. That's something to think about.

- Scrum looks poor for Ireland. Downright poor. Even the Aussies managed an upperhand in this one when they've been battered all year long. They even managed a turnover on an Irish put-in. That's bad, Ireland will suffer tremendously this coming 6N if this is anything of a constant for them, because besides Scotland the tournament is full of elite scrummaging sides, needless to say...

- Aussies were, not that this would astonish anyone, awesome at the breakdown. Ireland were good too. But Australia had that play at 60' where Best in the Aussie 22 throws in the lineout ball, and Ireland try to make a maul out of the lineout immediately and Australia makes it into a ruck and outruck the Irish into a TO. Valiant stuff.

- Folau is the best 15 right now, isn't he ? Dagg ??....mehhh...nah, Folau. And please don't anyone say Halfpenny !! A guy who can boot, as well as he does, it's only goal kicking. Halfpenny is harmless with ball in hand. People even got amazed at the 1 or 2 plays he had last summer as a Lion, testament to how non-existant he is ball in hand.

- You guys saw that Quade Cooper kickpass from the outside of the foot there ??...NICE. Too bad it didn't amount to a try.

- The stats for this game are truly a caricature of European VS Aus/NZ sides games: the former gets 65% possession and 63% territory and scores no try, while the latter gets 36% and 37% and 4 tries. :D

- Just to finish this off with a little humor (HA HA HA...) the ref was a NZer I reckon given the accent, and when he called the play for the scrums, I swear one would literally hear: "Crouch..........bind..........*SIT* !!"
Would be hilarious if you saw the tight 8 crouch....then bind......then sit down by mistake, lol. Tex Avery kinda stuff.

Last edited:
I have to agree with that Big E, two years ago Ireland would have won that game, 10 months ago before our injury epidemic we would have won that game but that shows the lack of confidence in the squad at the moment and something Schmidt will have to work hard to rebuild. Three of Australia's tries should never have been conceded by a Tier 1 nation, the maul excluded, but poor tackling and width in defence cost us dearly and that is ****ing terrifying considering we are playing the All Blacks next week who ripped apart a very strong England defence a good number of times on Saturday by spinning it wide.

We need to get through next week, get the players back to the provinces where hopefully we can have three provinces in the HEC quarter finals, bring a few of the Ulster players who are performing well into the squad and hope to God O'Driscoll is just going through a blip at the moment. A top half finish in the 6nations will be a very good foundation for Joe Schmidt's Ireland team which he has, more than likely, failed to implement over these three tests. (Which was a very very difficult task anyway) Or of course we could win the Slam after a lackluster Autumn like we did in 2009, borrowing the Welsh way of winning things!

We need to bring in O'Sullivan as an assistant coach after all he is unemployed and he knows how to get the best out of a back line and give Schmidt the chance to choose pick the players and have them coached by someone who would know the Irish system better than most people and knows how to get a team off the ground. Not happy by the Irish effort, only Marshall being standout and he had no support once he had broke the line.
Jackson must feel pretty hard done by to have Madigan on the bench ahead of him as he had a really solid game against Samoa, sure Madigan can play twelve but Jackson has shown he can play twelve well for Ulster in the past. Murray needs to come back in too, bar the mistake for the non-try I thought he was very strong.
Shocked BOD went off for knee blood, never seen someone so angry at a cut on his knee, poor way to see Henshaws career to start.
Court might have been able to make the scrum more stable on the loose head side.
Is it just me or is this the second week in a row McFadden has messed up a kick off take trying too hard to get the ball. He seems flashy but he has missed a few too many tackles as well. I'm sold on him in the outside channels would rather have Trimble on the wing maybe even Gilroy who has been somewhat unfairly excluded from the squad. Also Allen has been really strong as well. Ulster should fill the back three of Bowe Trimble and Gilroy then when payne is IQ we should fill from 10 to 15 and work the system so that Pienaar is IQ (give him a fake mustache and name him something like Paddy O'Brien). Then Henderson will improve to have the starting roll and heaslip O'Manhy and Obrien get injured so we have the back row of three Ulster men (Wilson, Henderson and Henry).
Also Touhy offers more than Toner as he seems almost too tall you play rugby effective because he doesn't have the power to back it up and he offered very little to the line up.
In short the team should have 13 ulster men in the squad. And if ferris comes back and O'Connel retires henderson moves to 5 and ferris 6 then 14 ulstermen should play for Ireland.

- Folau is the best 15 right now, isn't he ? Dagg ??....mehhh...nah, Folau. And please don't anyone say Halfpenny !! A guy who can boot, as well as he does, it's only goal kicking. Halfpenny is harmless with ball in hand. People even got amazed at the 1 or 2 plays he had last summer as a Lion, testament to how non-existant he is ball in hand.

hard to compare as they all have different physiques, dagg is more of a "rubber man", Folau a "race horse" and halfpenny is a "Lion". Halpfenny's courage is pretty awesome, he's a smaller bloke but punches above his weight. I wish I could say Folau has the edge over Dagg, they are both pretty good under the high ball, but I think Dagg's ability to create point scoring opportunities from nothing makes him slightly better, maybe he has better players around him. I hope the Wallabies can learn to do that as well as the All Blacks do.

We need to bring in O'Sullivan as an assistant coach after all he is unemployed and he knows how to get the best out of a back line and give Schmidt the chance to choose pick the players and have them coached by someone who would know the Irish system better than most people and knows how to get a team off the ground. Not happy by the Irish effort, only Marshall being standout and he had no support once he had broke the line.
Jackson must feel pretty hard done by to have Madigan on the bench ahead of him as he had a really solid game against Samoa, sure Madigan can play twelve but Jackson has shown he can play twelve well for Ulster in the past. Murray needs to come back in too, bar the mistake for the non-try I thought he was very strong.
Shocked BOD went off for knee blood, never seen someone so angry at a cut on his knee, poor way to see Henshaws career to start.
Court might have been able to make the scrum more stable on the loose head side.
Is it just me or is this the second week in a row McFadden has messed up a kick off take trying too hard to get the ball. He seems flashy but he has missed a few too many tackles as well. I'm sold on him in the outside channels would rather have Trimble on the wing maybe even Gilroy who has been somewhat unfairly excluded from the squad. Also Allen has been really strong as well. Ulster should fill the back three of Bowe Trimble and Gilroy then when payne is IQ we should fill from 10 to 15 and work the system so that Pienaar is IQ (give him a fake mustache and name him something like Paddy O'Brien). Then Henderson will improve to have the starting roll and heaslip O'Manhy and Obrien get injured so we have the back row of three Ulster men (Wilson, Henderson and Henry).
Also Touhy offers more than Toner as he seems almost too tall you play rugby effective because he doesn't have the power to back it up and he offered very little to the line up.
In short the team should have 13 ulster men in the squad. And if ferris comes back and O'Connel retires henderson moves to 5 and ferris 6 then 14 ulstermen should play for Ireland.

this would happen if it wasnt for that lenister irfu conspiracy first getting rid of rog now locking us above the border

4875fd79ac82b7a39ba725252610585bb5faef244b85cb1dcbdf4c627c109e10.jpg

Looking at the ESPN stats, it suggests that Ireland were very poor at supporting the player. Only 8 offloads despite running the ball 132 times. Ruck stats don't look good either.

This is the second game in a row where I've thought Ireland were very lateral. I don't get why you'd pick someone like Luke Marshall at 12 and then basically never use him. Schmidt really seems to want to get it wide, work his way round the opposition line - I don't think the Ireland runners are interesting the defence enough.

Am I the only person unconvinced by this current back-row? Heaslip seems stuck in a coalface role which doesn't really suit him, O'Brien is trying to do too much and looks less skillful and aware than he did on the Lions tour, while O'Mahony does a lot of good things but basically seems a Seagulling Croft-lite. I question the work rate he puts in on the nuts and bolts.

I have to agree with that Big E, two years ago Ireland would have won that game, 10 months ago before our injury epidemic we would have won that game but that shows the lack of confidence in the squad at the moment and something Schmidt will have to work hard to rebuild. Three of Australia's tries should never have been conceded by a Tier 1 nation, the maul excluded, but poor tackling and width in defence cost us dearly and that is ****ing terrifying considering we are playing the All Blacks next week who ripped apart a very strong England defence a good number of times on Saturday by spinning it wide.

Honestly, Ireland can't blame it on injury. Sexton - Marshall - McFadden - BOD - Bowe - Kearney, capable backs to say the least, and it's nothing to do with personnel anyways fundamentally. It's like I said our inability in Europe to finish off plays. The Aussies and NZ'ers just have the know-how, it's League culture in Union, it's fabulous, it's left right and center, it's candy for the eyes. We may have some fluidity in Europe, and Ireland looked GOOD in parts there, but like I said, in parts. Australia just always look like it's a formality to score a try, like it was drawn up that way from a timeout they had with the coaches.
They're just much, much more automatic, at ease, and, well, downright professional that us in Europe regarding the attack.

That's what I've been meaning the whole time on this thread. It's no mystery the Wallabies just have much better back play than everyone in Europe. Ireland wouldn't put 55 on Argentina because of that; wouldn't put 50 on the Italians because of that: even with great opportunities, they'd blow a ton of those balls each time they go for more than, like, 7 passes on avg. No way does Ireland put 50 on a Tier 1 nation at home.

Add to that they defended very well given their lack of girth, always making up for missed tackles and never giving up on a play. Result, no try by Ireland and merely 15 points at home in a match a vast majority predicted Ireland to win comfortably.

Oh and hey, will post this here for now. Carter out, Ireland are beating New Zealand !!!!!!
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9029799,00.html

Last edited:

Latest posts