• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Ireland vs. Samoa 09/11/13

Samoa missing some of their key players will be quite helpful particular for McGrath as Johnson first up would be tough. Willams is a very good full back and without him we should look to be targeting that weakness as many have mentioned turning them around and making them constantly run is how you beat the Samoans. Its going to be hugely physical game either way.

Hmm, fair point. Although part of me thinks that it'd be a bit foolish to try and beat the Samoans at their own game. Instead of trying to outmuscle them we need to turn them around and play around them imo. Match them up front and go around them in the backs. We're not going to be able to dominate them physically in the back line regardless of who we play, so there's no point playing into their hands imo.

Without disagreeing with your proposed gameplan - very similar to the one Jackson executed so well against Montpellier - sooner or later, rugby is a physical confrontation and with the Samoans, its usually sooner. The backline will have to fight for the gainline all day long in defence and in attack, they will still need to attack the midfield to bring the wings up or fix the back row, and they can't rely on the pack to do all of that - in fact, I'm not sure its safe to assume the pack will match them, I think this is one of Ireland's weakest for some time although probably the best available. So, even with such tactics, there's a big ask for the backline - any backline really, but maybe this one especially.

Long term, it'll be interesting to see where Schmidt goes. A Marshall-Henshaw partnership - and Schmidt has namechecked Henshaw as the forerunner post BOD intriguingly enough - are of a difference physical breed to the last generation, and they in turn would be small compared to some of the recent U20s. Post World Cup, Ireland could have a pretty big backline. Be interesting to see where he goes with that, assuming he hangs around.

Bugger that's frustrating, Johnston and Williams are huge losses for this team. Surprised Levave isn't in there somewhere.

Looking at the Irish lineup, I can't see Samoa winning this. Should be a solid 10-15 point win.

Yeah, I was expecting him to be on the bench at the very least (though personally i would have had him starting at 8).

Injuries have left Samoa lacking in a bit of experience in the tight five, and that could prove costly. I'm not a bit fan of Filo Paulo at lock - he locks great monstering halfbacks, but doesn't seem to like mixing it with players his own size. The loose-forward trio pretty well balanced (though I would have preffered Levave as mentioned above), and they have some good size on the bench in Tekori and Faosilivia (though Tekori is mainly covering lock).

As usual Fotuali'i is the key for Samoa - he often controls the game for them. Tusi Pisi has never really impressed me, but he does have a bit of size and power so may be effective running straight at Jackson. I'm assuming Pisi will be Samoas first choice goal-kicker with So'ioalo and the Williams brothers missing? If so that is a bit worrying for Samoa, as he is a pretty inconsistent goal-kicker. Leota and George Pisi form a solid if unspectacular midfield - I don't imagine they will cause D'Arcy & O'Driscoll too many issues. Leuia is probably Samoa's best weapon - he had a very impressive Super Rugby season, and though he probably lacks top end pace he can be very dangerous cutting back against the traffic. Va'aulu and Autagavaia have a bit of pace, but I do think Samoa will miss the reliability of Paul Williams at the back.

Though I would love to see Samoa pull of the upset I feel Ireland will prove to be too good in the end. I agree with Invictus's prediction of Ireland winning by 10-15 points.

Do you feckers rob the joint or something?

Were just gonna win. I think it'll be our first time so I cant wait for us to tick the Ireland box under the done column.

Seriously though, I hope Ireland has their worst game 'cos were gonna need that and also the reffs arm pointed our way.

Ireland can beat any team on their day, any team in the world. Their past/present players are some of the best the world has ever produced. Thats why it'll bring me and my fellow Samoans great pride and joy if we beat Ireland.

Were just gonna win. I think it'll be our first time so I cant wait for us to tick the Ireland box under the done column.

According to Planet Rugby's preview this morning you beat us in Dublin in 1996. :)

Really hope it's a good game though. I'm going to be at the match, it'll be great to see Joe Schmidt's first game in charge up close.

The McCarthy selection is starting to annoy me more and more. His form just doesn't warrent it at the minute. I'm not sure he's up to 80 minutes at international level either, which leaves you in a situation where you have to see out the last 20 with POC and Toner - less than ideal. I was thinking it might be for the extra bulk, but after looking at the two boys' stats I see there's only a 2kg difference. Ah well, benefit of the doubt and all that jazz.

Sounds more like the lyrics to a Backstreet Boys or 5ive song to me!

One thing I like about blogging on the net, is that I can come out of the closet so to speak. I actually brought and paid for a Backstreet Boys CD back in the day for about $26 I think it was. 'I never wanna hear you say, that I want it that way..'

Anyway snoop, you know better to insinuate that we'd be soft as the Backstreet Boys. Green machine, be ready to be drowned by the blue ocean.

Just seen on twitter that Brian Lima will be heading the Siva Tau, in memory of Peter Fatialofa.
That's going to be pretty special!

I'll be at this today. If you see three teenagers, one with a baby head and a Cornish pirates hat, one with disjointed sideburns and an undeserved sense of accomplishment on his face and one with a jaunty winning smile and a loveable playful attitude, well that's us.

i'll be at this today. If you see three teenagers, one with a baby head and a cornish pirates hat who looks like a sad dog if we're losing, one with no sideburns and a deserved sense of accomplishment on his face, if anything he should actually be looking even more accomplished, and one with a jaunty winning smile and a loveable playful attitude a bit of a creepo though, well that's us.

ftfy!

Well I'm now going to this thankfully not as one of the three outlined above or with them, so Jack will have all the emotional support he needs. I think I may be living through him a bit too much.

With those that Samoa are missing I'm suddenly a lot more optimistic. Enough that I say us by 10+ not that I'd be surprised if we lost just really ****** off.

Has Joe Schmidt been capped by New Zealand?

JoeSchmidt_IrelandCaptainsrun_Samoa13.jpg

Far too much time between games.
Tell me about it - been watching old episodes of Family Guy in between the England and Wales ones :p
But then there's clashes as well, meaning I have to choose between Ireland or Wales to have the commentary on (one of TV one on Laptop)

Latest posts