New Zealand
Club or Nation
Ireland
Ireland.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Samoa.png

Ireland vs. Samoa 09/11/13 17:45 WET, Aviva Stadium, Dublin, Ireland

Referee: Steve Walsh (Australia)

Noticed there wasn't a thread for this match, which is surprising, since this is one of the games I'm looking forward to most.

The beginning of the end of BO'D's international career. Not sure what to expect from Ireland; they have a new coach and, unless I'm making a mistake, are at full-strength for the first time in a while.

Samoa have been looking scarily good in recent times. Despite being beaten by 33 points against South Africa, they beat Italy 39-10- that's right, 39-10!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Joe Schmidt is one of the best coaches in the world. Michael Cheika was rightly credited with improving Leinster during his time there but Schmidt took them to a different level. Ireland should be a much better attacking force under him. It might take a while to get going but it wouldn't surprise me to see Ireland get off to a flying start. Schmidt has been conservative in his squad selection though, picking 18 of his former Leinster players and leaving out some of the best talent in the country. I'd say he wants players who are familiar with his style of play and will take more gambles on youth in the 6 nations.

There are a few injuries though. POC might be missing, Sexton looks like he'll miss out. Ferris is a long term injury and also Strauss, Earls, Zebo, Donnacha Ryan and Henderson are out. All of those players would be in the strongest 23.

John Plumtree is the new forwards coach.

The Samoans will fancy their chances and they're right to be confident but I'm confident Ireland will win this one. You basically have Schmidts Leinster boosted by the likes of O'Mahony, Bowe, Marshall, Murray, POC (if fit), Best etc.

No. Sexton is the back-up to O'Gara.

All hail the mighty ROG.

Jackson and Madigan are the back ups. Sexton has played something like 13 games in 13 weeks in France since the Lions tour.

You replaced Gert Smal with John Plumtree as forwards coach? Good luck.

Pity this one clashes with the Wales vs Bok match as I almost would like to see this live more than the Eng-Arg and Fra-NZ games. Samoa is always a bit of a specticle (lots of off the ball stuff). Good luck again!

Last edited:
You replaced Gert Smal with John Plumtree as forwards coach? Good luck.

Pity this one clashes with the Wales vs Bok match as I almost would like to see this live more than the Eng-Arg and Fra-NZ games. Samoa is always a bit of a specticle (lots of off the ball stuff). Good luck again!

Necessary change really, I've been unhappy with out forwards play as of late, and a clearing of house after the last few years can't do any harm.

On the subject of the game, would you believe that this is the first time in about two years that Brian O'Driscoll and Paul O'Connell will have played together for Ireland? Mental. So while we'll be without a few wingers and we could do with another second row, if Sexton plays we'll be as close to full strength as we've been in a long time.

Choices need to be made at inside centre, second row and in the back row, but aside from that the team picks itself in many ways. It'll be interesting to see who gets the nod at replacement tighthead. While Martin Moore has very little professional game time under his belt, after how he's performed so far this season I'd already have more faith in him than either Archer or Fitzgerald. In many ways he's outperformed Ross for Leinster this season. I'll be interested to see the personnel named, but moreso to see how quickly our guys can get up to speed with a new style of rugby. Hopefully the weather holds off and we get to see a bit of ball in hand played.

Well SA and even more so the Golden Lions showed you guys what to do to beat Samoa; play with width and pace and force them to turn around as much as possible; their big blokes don't like having to keep up and get disinterested in the match at hand.

I'd assume the ex-Leinster boss felt Plum would be a better fit for what he intends. TBF on Plum while I think he is ****ty at being a head coach in many departments he had the Sharks forwards play a good balance of tight traditional work and link-play with the backs; everyone from 1 to 8 were used as ball carriers on top of their core duties and when it came off it usually lead to some handsome wins for them.

Last edited:
Well SA and even more so the Golden Lions showed you guys what to do to beat Samoa; play with width and pace and force them to turn around as much as possible; their big blokes don't like having to keep up and get disinterested in the match at hand.

I'd assume the ex-Leinster boss felt Plum would be a better fit for what he intends. TBF on Plum while I think he is ****ty at being a head coach in many departments he had the Sharks forwards play a good balance of tight traditional work and link-play with the backs; everyone from 1 to 8 were used as ball carriers on top of their core duties and when it came off it usually lead to some handsome wins for them.

Play them at altitude.

Argh! :crazy: Steve Walsh! Quick, make the sign of the cross and call Ghostbusters!

Team is named tommorrow. I'm not going to make any complaints as to what Schmidt picks for his first few games to be honest, no matter what the team is. Main goal of these internationals is to target beating the kiwis. I just hope we put out our strongest team each game

Last edited:
I don't think I have a favorite side in this specific match-up, and would rather use that opportunity to be a neutral.

Also, go Ireland.

Apparently Sexton is very unlikely due to his hip and PO'C is not going to be able for the full 80.

It's going to be a very tough match with us being the only tier 1 nation that Samoa face this Autumn. Hopefully the Samoans have a similar allergy to the weather that the Fijian's do as at the moment the weather is ****. The Aviva will cut up something terrible.

The side I'm expecting.

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Ross
4. Tuohy
5. O'Connell
6. O'Mahony
7. O'Brien
8. Heaslip
9. Murray
10. Jackson
11. McFadden
12. Marshall
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. R. Kearney

16. Cronin
17. McGrath
18. Fitzpatrick
19. Toner
20. Henry
21. Reddan
22. Madigan
23. D. Kearney

Though there is also some small doubt over Healy and SO'B so I wouldn't be surprised to see McGrath or Henry start.

As said above, word is that Jonny Sexton won't feature. Also it seems as though Declan Fitzpatrick and Jack McGrath are in the squad. We'll see tomorrow.

I think the final score will be 24-16. No particular reason, it just sounds good in my head. :p

Looking forward to this lots in it for Ireland so I hope they can pull out a win and get a good start to the new season.

Latest posts