• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Equip Jean now as RWC capt - Fleck

M

munross

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Jean de Villiers's upbringing as captain of the South African rugby team for the 2011 World Cup tournament should start in Britain next month, says former Springbok centre Robbie Fleck.

Unlike some other experts, Fleck believes the strongest possible Springbok team should be sent on the three-test tour in November.

"Why should the players be rested? We should establish confidence in the team and win every match," Fleck said on Monday.

"If we can achieve that, it can be another successful year, under the coaching of Peter de Villiers."

Part of the planning for the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand should be to prepare Jean de Villiers to take over from John Smit, who captained South Africa to victory in last year's tournament in France, Fleck believes.

Smit is expected to retire after the test series against the British and Irish Lions next year.

"Jean has been a brilliant WP en Stormers captain," Fleck said. "He has certainly staked his claim to captain the Boks after the Smit era.

"I would appoint him as vice-captain now. He is becoming one of the best centres that South Africa has had. There have been questions about his defence but he has eradicated them. He is undoubtedly the SA player of the year."

NO EQUAL AT PRESENT

Fleck said he had watched De Villiers well again last weekend and "none of the other centres, Jaque Fourie included, was in his league. He has no equal at present. I am immensely impressed by him, on and off the field."

Fleck is not worried about the amount of rugby that De Villiers has played this year.

"He has missed a lot of rugby because of injuries. We must keep playing him. He has great confidence and is in a zone now where Brian O'Driscoll and Tana Umaga were at some time during their career. He should exhibit it at the highest level."

Peter Jooste, convener of the national selectors, made it clear on Monday that the strongest available team would be sent to play Scotland, Wales and England.

"Peter de Villiers is establishing a new playing pattern and style. The seniors and the young players must get accustomed to it," Jooste said.

"All the players who were part of our initial plans for the year will be considered. We will look at that squad first and then elsewhere to supplement the group. If players have done consistently well in the Currie Cup competition we will discuss them."

Jooste expects a squad of 28 or 30 to be announced after the Currie Cup final on October 25.

"I cannot think that a watered-down squad will be chosen. Can you imagine the reaction if we lose test matches as a result? We know who our best young players are. We should build momentum," he said.[/b]

I really think it will be a good choice to hand over the captaincy to De Villiers once Smit retires...

Whats your thoughts?

It's him and Matfield in my opinion, but matfield is getting older now too isn't he ?

I think he and Smit are about the same age.

Look De villiers seems to be a fine captain for the Stormers, and he has captained the boks before, I say go for it, by the time Smit retires De villiers will have such a massive amount of experience anyway, keeping him as vice captain and letting him captain a game every now and then will probably be a good thing.

Smit is 29 and Matfield is 30. I don't believe Smit will make it to the next WC, he's hit his ceiling of playing ability already imo. Matfield on the other hand is a supreme athlete and I could see him still contributing to SA rugby for another few years.
Look, I love JdV, he's the best 12 in the world currently, but I'm not sure he's Springbok captain material at the moment. Is he really proven at S14 level? He didn't motivate his troops to beat the Lions at home for a play off position, twice, in one year. He could thrive, the Boks have always had inspiration captains so I'm sure the right choice will be made. I do, however, believe if he is identified as the next Bok captain he should get the chance at the reins on the EOY tour as it'll be easier than doing it in the TN.

Yeah the EYO tour would be ideal.

I dunno, he seems like a really good captain to me, but then captaining the Springboks is a whole different kettle of fish. I get what you're saying about the games against the Lions, but really I'm not so sure that's all up to De Villiers, I mean they did actually win the games, it's hard to knock a captain that's on a winning side just because they didn't win by enough.

I blame the situation province is in more on the failures of our B team during the middle stages of the currie cup (in other words our depth, which is something I didn't think I'd ever hear myself say about Western Province), when we lost our games against Griquas and the Falcons.

Apart from De villiers though, who else would you have in mind ?
I can't come up with any names from the top of my head who could easily fill these shoes, maybe BJ Botha, or Juan Smith (to a degree).

I would have him in. He seems the logical choice. There is no one else really. He has that same sort of leader type look about him that other centres in the world have (Umaga, O'Driscoll, Mortlock).

Then again Smit could defy everyone and go on till the RWC.

Probably the best choice for South Africa. Matfield might be too old when the next Rugby World Cup swings around.

I think Schalk Burger would be a great choice too.

Latest posts