• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

European Cup Finals

Nah. It was decent, but Leinster vs Northampton was an outstanding final.

That was for @cmac95!!!

Ugh, what a ****e match. Clermont were awful.

Well done Toulon, great team in a relatively poor era in European rugby and it results in the best run we'll ever see in the competition.
Clermont continue to be the eternal bridesmaids.

....and there is my friend!!!

:huh:

That wasn't a match, it was a gift from the Massif Central to Toulon! 2013 was better.

If you think anything else I've said is bitter or bias I'll have to ask you what it is?

Bitter or biased never.....................!!

Clermont pushed them and I do think that many people have goggles on to deny that Toulon's defence was superb, that their counter attack was immense and the match was still in the balance to the last minute. Toulon played to their plan and contained and pressured a very good Clermont team who were without their James who is the heart and brain of the team with just a few minutes to go to KO.

Seriously, you are right there may well have been better matches but at my age, I never remember them, but for the all matches in (my) recent memory, this was one of the better Rugby Union games although it usually does not have to do much to stand out from the usual bish bash bosh!!

Bitter or biased never.....................!!

Clermont pushed them and I do think that many people have goggles on to deny that Toulon's defence was superb, that their counter attack was immense and the match was still in the balance to the last minute. Toulon played to their plan and contained and pressured a very good Clermont team who were without their James who is the heart and brain of the team with just a few minutes to go to KO.

Seriously, you are right there may well have been better matches but at my age, I never remember them, but for the all matches in (my) recent memory, this was one of the better Rugby Union games although it usually does not have to do much to stand out from the usual bish bash bosh!!

Fair enough and for entertainment value you're probably right but in terms of having proper rugby matches the final of this competition hasn't been the place to go anymore. Today we saw a Clermont team with all the tools to win the match build a lead and hand it back with interest, get themselves back into the game to fall asleep for the winning try. Clermont lost the match rather than Toulon go out and win it.

It looks like a trend of disappointing finals in the last few years is starting to appear.
2014 - walkover
2013 - good match
2012 - walkover
2011 - good match
2010 - can't call it a walkover but it was a comfortable victory

Finals are the pinnacle of a competition but this competition is throwing out good finals less than 50% of the time. It's not really anyone's fault but as someone who enjoys a closely fought contest over 80 minutes it's frustrating to watch. I'm probably over critical here considering I am fed up of club rugby after the year Leinster have had and I was past caring too much about who won today but I just failed to enjoy the game. It's all open to opinion and I'd say more will agree with you than me over the quality of the game but I thought it was **** poor apart from the historical significance of a Toulon victory.

Current European Champions French club Toulon and for the 3rd year running the rest is just history !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked watching the game, pity ASM didn't win. They just ran short.

Good final and very enjoyable to watch. I wanted Clermont to win as they were the underdog.

Armitage played well, always involved and again showed that this non selection of foreign based players is silly and archaic.

Good final and very enjoyable to watch. I wanted Clermont to win as they were the underdog.

Armitage played well, always involved and again showed that this non selection of foreign based players is silly and archaic.

Don't say it... Ah ****. Way to start WW3 again.

Toulon is just amazing. It is beause it's crazy to think that a team which is basically an all star NBA with a few old swords like Ali Williams (still awesome though) could play like that, with so much companionship and solidarity, almost as if they've been playing their entire life together. Anyway, the truth is that individualism always comes out as the answer, that being the case in Mitchell's try.

I would like to say Hernandez was outstanding, ever since he wasn't even a center until last year, but when he was playing so good he had that poor kick and basically handed Clermont their second try on a plate, so sorry.

Why was Fernandez Lobbe as substitute?

Yeah, that I assumed, what I meant was that Fernández Lobbe is better than any of them. Seriously, Juan Smith is a good story about overcoming personal difficulties, but damn, he is not what he used to be. Everybody who watch last rugby championship said it.
Also think he is better than those. There must be a reason, a tactical one, or strategic, to explain why he wasn't there after being named best 6 of the 4 nation. Or maybe not, perhaps Masoe is better.

Is Toulon really a team of superstars? I don't think that is the case. Just thinking of the backline: Giteau was dropped by Australia and have been rejuvenated in France, Wulf isn't world class, Basta isn't either (really). Only players who were world class when they were signed I'd argue are Halfpenny and Habana. Also JOC

Yeah, that I assumed, what I meant was that Fernández Lobbe is better than any of them. Seriously, Juan Smith is a good story about overcoming personal difficulties, but damn, he is not what he used to be. Everybody who watch last rugby championship said it.
Also thinkk he is better than those. There must be a reason, a tactical one, or strategic, to explain why he wasn't there after being named best 6 of the 4 nation. Or maybe not, perhaps Masoe is better.

Smith/Armitage/Masoe is probably the best balanced back row Toulon can play. I personally agree that Lobbe > Smith but Toulon's lineout suffers if Smith doesn't play so I think that's the main reason why he isn't selected. On the other hand I don't watch a huge amount of top 14 so I'd be happy to be corrected by any toulon fans!

I really enjoyed watching the game and although I was routing for Clermont it was a great performance from Toulon and a great send off for the likes of Williams and Botha.

With the likes of Manoa, Nonu, Nalanga and Cooper joining next season I can see Toulon winning for a 4th year.

Where are the finals next year?

Might make the run up to Edinburgh if it's at Murrayfield.

Latest posts