• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Exeter chiefs 2017/18 season thread. Chance to top the premiership.

Blip against Gloucester, bit of rust im putting it down to then 2 dominant performances against bottom 2 teams but i think we are in a good position to crack on and give wasps a good run for their money

Predictions for the wasps games?

Personally Think chiefs will have it. Wasps have goppath daly and wade back bit who will make the most difference in thomas young. I rate him highly

Happy to admit I got it wrong so far regarding the squad depth, everyone stepping up, still a tad concerned when the int call ups kick in....

Thinking maybe a good chance to have a look at Sam Simmonds now that Billy V is out, form 8 in the prem, someone else I'd put forward would be Woodburn, not as glamorous a name as a Solomona etc but a better all round game right now IMO ....

EJ has told Slade that he seems him specifically as a 13. Thoughts on what this will mean on the balance of the Chiefs squad i.e. That Slade will likely no longer be Steenson's replacement once he retires

Happy to admit I got it wrong so far regarding the squad depth, everyone stepping up, still a tad concerned when the int call ups kick in....

Thinking maybe a good chance to have a look at Sam Simmonds now that Billy V is out, form 8 in the prem, someone else I'd put forward would be Woodburn, not as glamorous a name as a Solomona etc but a better all round game right now IMO ....

Young lads like simmonds and same skinner smashing it as well as townsend. Woodburn... hes brilliant amd good in attack and defence but never will break into england. He doesnt have the pace of may or the work rate of nowell or the pace or step of watson. Not that i peronally rate may higher than him its just how it is.

Simmonds is a good prospect for england no.8 totally dofferent to what we have at the moment. Could be brought on as a no8 replacement on or on on the flank to add more power to the back line without losong to much mobility.

In response to toby's post EJ thinks hes a 13 (hes not good enough to be a world class 10 tbh IMO) he offers something totally different at 13 because his long flat pass at 13 to a winger can open up a game but can he really take on JJ and Daly. I thought he would end up a 12 for england. Or in the 22 shirt as fly half or centre cover.

Slade at 13 for england wouldnt work unless we had a different 10 12 to ford faz because 3 play makers in a row i cant see working tbh.

I don't think Simmonds has the versatility to play him anywhere other than 8 on the international stage just yet. But I do think he should be your starting 8.

Right in there between Itoje and Underhill.

I don't think Simmonds has the versatility to play him anywhere other than 8 on the international stage just yet. But I do think he should be your starting 8.

Right in there between Itoje and Underhill.

From 7s he has the pace and power to be 6 at least but either way if he can play flank or not saying he should be starting is a bold choice. I think he should be at the england training camp though. Hope he's fit for this weekend but im not sure he will be with concussion return to play protocols.

We have alot of locks that can play back row but i prefer itoje at lock. Underhill 6 as he is a big tackler amd a big workrate. And 7 is a tough one, not against itoje but rather a proper flanker. I bet we will see jack clifford get another shot.

Bit off topic for my Chiefs thread my bad :)

He reminds me a lot of Sean McMahon only with a little less presence at the breakdown and a little more mobility and grunt ball in hand.

I'm really surprised Eddie didn't take him in the 33, because to me he's the future at the back of the pack. Get him in the training squad and at least get him seeing what's required and expected regarding national selection.

He reminds me a lot of Sean McMahon only with a little less presence at the breakdown and a little more mobility and grunt ball in hand.

I'm really surprised Eddie didn't take him in the 33, because to me he's the future at the back of the pack. Get him in the training squad and at least get him seeing what's required and expected regarding national selection.

McMahon is a good comparison. He's a similar size to Simmonds and they have similar skill sets.

I'm not sure Simmonds is going to be Eddie's cup of tea, but hopefully he's OK after the KO over the weekend and continues to put in performances that mean he can't be ignored.

EJ has told Slade that he seems him specifically as a 13. Thoughts on what this will mean on the balance of the Chiefs squad i.e. That Slade will likely no longer be Steenson's replacement once he retires
I'm happy that Slade has found/been given a place, if EJ and RB have put their heads together and come up with 13 then I won't argue with that, FH become's a concern with stock quite light behind Steenson, I think Joe Simmonds will be a great FH but for this season Steenson getting injured would be a disaster so I'd like to see a FH come in to bridge the cap between those two, Toby Flood would have been Ideal for this season bearing in mind the plans for Slade. Moving forward when Steenson goes you can either spend big and bring in a top FH or I'd prefer someone to come in and help bring on Simmonds, someone who's less high maintence and doesn't expect to play every week and won't miss huge chunks of the season with a view to Simmonds being nailed on starter within 18 months, also badly need a FB with serious pace to come in within this time frame, moving Slade to 13 with possibly Devoto at 12 and Nowell and Woodburn potentially starting more than Short that's a slow back division for the prem.

@scotty507 I get where your coming from regarding Woodburn, I see him as being an 7 or 8/10 player on every aspect where other wingers might be 10/10 on some but 4 or 5/10 on other part's of their game, he'll never be as flash as Solomana or Cokansiga but he won't make as many error's as them either.

I agree you need a new 15. I don't think Baxter is unaware of that though given that Chiefs were linked with Brown and Woodward last summer.

I'm happy that Slade has found/been given a place, if EJ and RB have put their heads together and come up with 13 then I won't argue with that, FH become's a concern with stock quite light behind Steenson, I think Joe Simmonds will be a great FH but for this season Steenson getting injured would be a disaster so I'd like to see a FH come in to bridge the cap between those two, Toby Flood would have been Ideal for this season bearing in mind the plans for Slade. Moving forward when Steenson goes you can either spend big and bring in a top FH or I'd prefer someone to come in and help bring on Simmonds, someone who's less high maintence and doesn't expect to play every week and won't miss huge chunks of the season with a view to Simmonds being nailed on starter within 18 months, also badly need a FB with serious pace to come in within this time frame, moving Slade to 13 with possibly Devoto at 12 and Nowell and Woodburn potentially starting more than Short that's a slow back division for the prem.

@scotty507 I get where your coming from regarding Woodburn, I see him as being an 7 or 8/10 player on every aspect where other wingers might be 10/10 on some but 4 or 5/10 on other part's of their game, he'll never be as flash as Solomana or Cokansiga but he won't make as many error's as them either.

Not sure thats necessarily true, its a back line that won the premiership and are currently sitting top. They may not be outright sprinters but they aren't slow and I think Lachie Turner is getting better and better now that hes properly settled at Exeter. I think he'll have a very good season, and hes quite fast too.
I think the need for sprinters is over-rated as the rest of their game doesn't usually come up to scratch e.g johnny May.[

Not sure thats necessarily true, its a back line that won the premiership and are currently sitting top. They may not be outright sprinters but they aren't slow and I think Lachie Turner is getting better and better now that hes properly settled at Exeter. I think he'll have a very good season, and hes quite fast too.
I think the need for sprinters is over-rated as the rest of their game doesn't usually come up to scratch e.g johnny May.[
Don't think Devoto and Slade played 12/13 together much last season and in all fairness my post was based on the fact Devoto was pretty much nailed on at 12 last season and Slade's opened the season at 13 and been told that's his spot, so my comment was based on that midfield pairing starting.

I know nothing so its not for me to comment on joe simmonds but i agree i dont want a situation where we have slade and simmonds at FH.

FB. I agree too. Ideal would be if we could steal Watson but dont want to fall into the trap of Leicester buying all these players rather than developing. Cheifs and sarries both develop a team rather than buy.

Launchbury is from exeter i heard (city not academy) can we persuade him to come home lol

From 7s he has the pace and power to be 6 at least but either way if he can play flank or not saying he should be starting is a bold choice. I think he should be at the england training camp though. Hope he's fit for this weekend but im not sure he will be with concussion return to play protocols.

We have alot of locks that can play back row but i prefer itoje at lock. Underhill 6 as he is a big tackler amd a big workrate. And 7 is a tough one, not against itoje but rather a proper flanker. I bet we will see jack clifford get another shot.

Bit off topic for my Chiefs thread my bad :)

Tom Curry, the new David Seymour

Exeter Chiefs v Glasgow worriors

15. Phil Dollman; 14. Lachlan Turner, 13. Henry Slade, 12. Ian Whitten, 11. Olly Woodburn; 10. Gareth Steenson, 9. Nic Whit;

1. Ben Moon, 2. Jack Yeandle, 3. Harry Williams, 4. Mitch Lees, 5. Jonny Hill, 6. Don Armand, 7. Julian Salvi, 8. Sam Simmonds

16. Elvis Taione, 17. Carl Rimmer, 18. Tom Francis, 19. Ollie Atkins, 20. Tom Waldrom, 21. Stu Townsend, 22. Tom Gilbert-Hendrickson, 23. James Short.

Predictions?

Who is hendrickson? I dont really know much about him.

Thomas waldrom back. What does that mean for the less experienced simmonds. (Personally i think not much as he is you d and on form)

James Short on the bench, good to see him back. Hand injury so wont have lost fitness.

Lets get this thread going again. Its meant to be a full season fan thread

What do we think about where chiefs are right now? Lost 2 we could of won but got bp. 6 bp 6 games

What do you guys think?

Exeter Chiefs v Glasgow worriors

15. Phil Dollman; 14. Lachlan Turner, 13. Henry Slade, 12. Ian Whitten, 11. Olly Woodburn; 10. Gareth Steenson, 9. Nic Whit;

1. Ben Moon, 2. Jack Yeandle, 3. Harry Williams, 4. Mitch Lees, 5. Jonny Hill, 6. Don Armand, 7. Julian Salvi, 8. Sam Simmonds

16. Elvis Taione, 17. Carl Rimmer, 18. Tom Francis, 19. Ollie Atkins, 20. Tom Waldrom, 21. Stu Townsend, 22. Tom Gilbert-Hendrickson, 23. James Short.

Predictions?

Thomas waldrom back. What does that mean for the less experienced simmonds. (Personally i think not much as he is you d and on form)

James Short on the bench, good to see him back. Hand injury so wont have lost fitness.

Lets get this thread going again. Its meant to be a full season fan thread

What do we think about where chiefs are right now? Lost 2 we could of won but got bp. 6 bp 6 games

What do you guys think?
For me the champions cup group will come down to BP'S, I don't see an away victory in the group, I think all 4 teams will go into the final game with a chance to qualify. So for me Chiefs need to win all 3 home games without the opposition getting a losing bonus whilst picking up a losing bonus away from home themselves...Injuries kicking in now Europe gets underway, haven't seen LCD, Hepburn, Ewers, Devoto yet, now Nowell's out squad starting to get stretched hope our summer recruitment dosen't bite us in the arse.

For me the champions cup group will come down to BP'S, I don't see an away victory in the group, I think all 4 teams will go into the final game with a chance to qualify. So for me Chiefs need to win all 3 home games without the opposition getting a losing bonus whilst picking up a losing bonus away from home themselves...Injuries kicking in now Europe gets underway, haven't seen LCD, Hepburn, Ewers, Devoto yet, now Nowell's out squad starting to get stretched hope our summer recruitment dosen't bite us in the arse.

Good assessment luckily chiefs get their bps :)
Got waldom and short back so some finishers on the bench, wonder who waldrom will come on for. Hopfully salvi.

We still have a strong team but our deoth is being tested yet we are still getting wins in th AP and BPs. If we get LCD devoto nowell and hepburn for second half of the season we are in a really good place for AP but Europe is going to be tough as we are.

Last edited:
Hepburn's been back playing for the Braves and I saw LCD a few weeks back walking about with no obvious impediment.

I don't know where the Gilbert bit comes from, I've only ever seen him down as Hendrikson in the past. He's a Newlyn bred lad who joined Exeter Academy (via Truro College) in was DRd back to Pirates in 2013 (IIRC). He's had significant game time for Pirates and latterly for Chiefs in the Anglo-Welsh and A-League. I can't say as I've seen him play all that much, but he's a biggish lad with a fair set of wheels.

What do you guys think?

The party line would that Chiefs are sat pretty - in a better place than they were this time than they were last season when they won the whole thing. It's too early for the current table to be too indicative of the quality of the opposition faced, but for what it's worth, the 4 wins and 2 losses have come against teams placed 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 11th and 12th in the table, which makes things sound less impressive given that the remaining 5 games of the first half of the season will be against the (current) 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th placed teams in the league.

My gut feeling is that Chiefs will make the playoffs again - not exactly a brave (no pun intended) prediction I know, but would need a the stars to really align for them (both in terms of things going right for them and wrong for the opposition) to win the whole thing again. The cynic / pessimist in me has me questioning whether that happened last year. I'm pretty sure that the problems with the squad have already been highlighted in this thread and elsewhere on the forums, but just to reiterate:

- Yeandle's form is a long was off where it was a few seasons back meaning that LCD is a big loss when he's out and when he's there there's little in the way of impact off the bench.
- Given that the predicted Kvesic renaissance is yet to happen, the off season signings and departures have weakened the side, with Nic White being the only new signing to make an impact thus far.
- Following on from that, the loss of Parling and Welch has left things pretty threadbare in the second row.
- Full back was a worry last year with Turner never looking particularly convincing, nothing much seems to have been done about this.
- One thing that might not have been touched upon, I worry about Steenson picking up a knock (and about the future after him).

Given all that he has done for the club and the success he has brought to the club, it's hard to throw stones at Rob Baxter, but the lack of off season signings (despite room in the cap and money to spend) might be indicative of a stubborn insistence in doing things his way / the Exeter way rather than adapting to the situation the club is now in (I'd call it Arsene Wenger syndrome, but knowing very little about soccerball, I could be missing something). The club have sufficient versatile players that even injuries in the positions that I perceive as crucial can be covered, but not without weakening the team significantly. For example, losing Steenson would presumably mean Slade to 10, but that would mean losing one of the form players in the league in his position moving out of the 13 shirt into one he's only ever flirted with. I imagine that Baxter is conscious of only recruiting players who hit with his style and the club's culture, but I can't help thinking that swallowing some pride and grabbing the best available to cover my perceived weaknesses would leave the club in a stronger position. Similarly, while the policy of remaining loyal to players has obvious upsides in terms of consistency and team spirit, I wonder if the squad is starting to reflect the downsides to this policy - having ageing and / or injury prone players high up the pecking order in their position.

Should injuries in the key positions I list be avoided and the opposition have an off day or suffer their own key injuries (what I meant by the stars aligning), Chiefs could retain their ***le, but on this basis I'd want a fairly long price on it happening.

On the other hand (and to show that I'm not the total prophet of doom that I realise this post must make me appear) and looking at things from another perspective, there's a good chance that Saracens will top the table with Chiefs in second this time around. Should Exeter make an early exit from Europe and Saracens go deep once again, Chiefs would have a home semi-final and likely final against a Saracens team fighting on two fronts.

Latest posts