• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Exeter chiefs 2017/18 season thread. Chance to top the premiership.

Yes i agree and he has been a great servant to Chiefs but maunder and townsend are young up and coming players where as he has reached his ceiling. Hes a great player and will be missed but gives more game time to the future scrum halfs.

Anyone know if we have nic white next season? If not it will be interesting but im not to worried townsend andnmaunder played great the back end of last season.

I know Nic White was initially on a two year deal. I don't know if it's been extended beyond that or anything since... but yes. He should be there at least next season.

So nic white first choice but not sure who i prefer townsend or maunder, maunder i think, hes younger and less experienced but has such quick delivery, i rated him highly then he just hasnt played but it will be tight between them, need them both to play though incase white gets injured and we have an england situation.

Alex Cuthbert coming next year, hoping a change is as good as a rest as far as he's concerned, at one point he was a starting Lions test winger scoring tries at that level, so he can do it and he'll be available all year round, on the negative side that was 2013 and he's had a shocker for a couple of years...

Alex Cuthbert coming next year, hoping a change is as good as a rest as far as he's concerned, at one point he was a starting Lions test winger scoring tries at that level, so he can do it and he'll be available all year round, on the negative side that was 2013 and he's had a shocker for a couple of years...
Is that official?

Is that official?
BBC reporting he's 'set' to join, so not quite but every transfer they announce get's confirmed either the same day or the next, when they say x player is leaving here to go there then it's come from a clubs source, not a made up rumour...

Last edited:
BBC reporting he's 'set' to join, so not quite but every transfer they announce get's confirmed either the same day or the next, they don't post rumours...
Ah, fair enough. Seems like a very odd signing; I'd imagine that Cuthbert, a 6'6 105kg Lion who is being tempted away from an international career that despite his poor form didn't seem to be completely finished, would demand a pretty significant sum of cash, moreso than should be given to a player that would, on form, be a 4th (5th if Cordero stays) choice winger. I really hope this doesn't mean a permanent move to FB for Nowell, I don't rate him there at all. His defence there is a real liability. It could also mean him moving to 13 which would be good for him and his England chances but considering how many centres we already have it seems excessive to also develop our star winger into being one. Anyone have an idea of how Slade did at FB as I can't really remember. Don't remember thom making any glaring errors but don't remember him being exceptional. If he is good there though, I would be interested in seeing:
9. White
10. Simmonds
11. Woodburn
12. Hill
13. Nowell
14. Short/Cuthbert/Cordero
15. Slade

BBC reporting he's 'set' to join, so not quite but every transfer they announce get's confirmed either the same day or the next...
Ah, fair enough. Seems like a very odd signing; I'd imagine that Cuthbert, a 6'6 105kg Lion who is being tempted away from an international career that despite his poor form didn't seem to be completely finished, would demand a pretty significant sum of cash, moreso than should be given to a player that would, on form, be a 4th (5th if Cordero stays) choice winger. I really hope this doesn't mean a permanent move to FB for Nowell, I don't rate him there at all. His defence there is a real liability. It could also mean him moving to 13 which would be good for him and his England chances but considering how many centres we already have it seems excessive to also develop our star winger into being one. Anyone have an idea of how Slade did at FB as I can't really remember. Don't remember thom making any glaring errors but don't remember him being exceptional. If he is good there though, I would be interested in seeing:
9. White
10. Simmonds
11. Woodburn
12. Hill
13. Nowell
14. Short/Cuthbert/Cordero
15. Slade
I've heard a rumour, and this is just a rumour mind, that were losing a back to Bristol, and my source is from the Bristol end, heard nothing from in or around Chiefs.

I've heard a rumour, and this is just a rumour mind, that were losing a back to Bristol, and my source is from the Bristol end, heard nothing from in or around Chiefs.
Hopefully a centre as despite our top 5 options there being quality (Slade, Hill, Devoto, Whitten, Campagnaro), they're gonna be taking up a huge slice of the salary cap. Wouldn't mind seeing any of Devoto, Whitten or Campagnaro leave.

Hopefully a centre as despite our top 5 options there being quality (Slade, Hill, Devoto, Whitten, Campagnaro), they're gonna be taking up a huge slice of the salary cap. Wouldn't mind seeing any of Devoto, Whitten or Campagnaro leave.
I can see Devoto leaving along with Turner not getting renewed, so Cuthbert in, Cordero getting renewed covering WG and FB replacing Turner and Nowell moving to centre, so no need to replace Devoto.

I can see Devoto leaving along with Turner not getting renewed, so Cuthbert in, Cordero getting renewed covering WG and FB replacing Turner and Nowell moving to centre, so no need to replace Devoto.
Yeah, Devoto would be the one to leave I'd have thought. Good enough to be starting 12 for a lot of teams but not really getting a look into the Chiefs 23 ATM.

at this stage I would be surprised if Cordero stays, not saying he won't but he is still in talks with other clubs. (Well that obvious given he has no club next season currently).

at this stage I would be surprised if Cordero stays, not saying he won't but he is still in talks with other clubs. (Well that obvious given he has no club next season currently).
Heard Chiefs are willing to offer him at least next season.

I'd be very surprised if Cordero stays seeing as he hasn't been making the starting XV. Player of his quality is gonna want to be starting every week.

Latest posts