• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Exeter chiefs 2017/18 season thread. Chance to top the premiership.

I don't know where the Gilbert bit comes from, I've only ever seen him down as Hendrikson in the past. He's a Newlyn bred lad who joined Exeter Academy (via Truro College) in was DRd back to Pirates in 2013 (IIRC). He's had significant game time for Pirates and latterly for Chiefs in the Anglo-Welsh and A-League. I can't say as I've seen him play all that much, but he's a biggish lad with a fair set of wheels.

The party line would that Chiefs are sat pretty - in a better place than they were this time than they were last season when they won the whole thing. It's too early for the current table to be too indicative of the quality of the opposition faced, but for what it's worth, the 4 wins and 2 losses have come against teams placed 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 11th and 12th in the table, which makes things sound less impressive given that the remaining 5 games of the first half of the season will be against the (current) 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th placed teams in the league.

My gut feeling is that Chiefs will make the playoffs again - not exactly a brave (no pun intended) prediction I know, but would need a the stars to really align for them (both in terms of things going right for them and wrong for the opposition) to win the whole thing again. The cynic / pessimist in me has me questioning whether that happened last year. I'm pretty sure that the problems with the squad have already been highlighted in this thread and elsewhere on the forums, but just to reiterate:

- Yeandle's form is a long was off where it was a few seasons back meaning that LCD is a big loss when he's out and when he's there there's little in the way of impact off the bench.
- Given that the predicted Kvesic renaissance is yet to happen, the off season signings and departures have weakened the side, with Nic White being the only new signing to make an impact thus far.
- Following on from that, the loss of Parling and Welch has left things pretty threadbare in the second row.
- Full back was a worry last year with Turner never looking particularly convincing, nothing much seems to have been done about this.
- One thing that might not have been touched upon, I worry about Steenson picking up a knock (and about the future after him).

Given all that he has done for the club and the success he has brought to the club, it's hard to throw stones at Rob Baxter, but the lack of off season signings (despite room in the cap and money to spend) might be indicative of a stubborn insistence in doing things his way / the Exeter way rather than adapting to the situation the club is now in (I'd call it Arsene Wenger syndrome, but knowing very little about soccerball, I could be missing something). The club have sufficient versatile players that even injuries in the positions that I perceive as crucial can be covered, but not without weakening the team significantly. For example, losing Steenson would presumably mean Slade to 10, but that would mean losing one of the form players in the league in his position moving out of the 13 shirt into one he's only ever flirted with. I imagine that Baxter is conscious of only recruiting players who hit with his style and the club's culture, but I can't help thinking that swallowing some pride and grabbing the best available to cover my perceived weaknesses would leave the club in a stronger position. Similarly, while the policy of remaining loyal to players has obvious upsides in terms of consistency and team spirit, I wonder if the squad is starting to reflect the downsides to this policy - having ageing and / or injury prone players high up the pecking order in their position.

Should injuries in the key positions I list be avoided and the opposition have an off day or suffer their own key injuries (what I meant by the stars aligning), Chiefs could retain their ***le, but on this basis I'd want a fairly long price on it happening.

On the other hand (and to show that I'm not the total prophet of doom that I realise this post must make me appear) and looking at things from another perspective, there's a good chance that Saracens will top the table with Chiefs in second this time around. Should Exeter make an early exit from Europe and Saracens go deep once again, Chiefs would have a home semi-final and likely final against a Saracens team fighting on two fronts.

Good analysis and i agree that 2 10 4/5 and 15 are issues without much positive depth.

My other issue is that we have played ONLY
LIRISH in religation battle.
NEWCASTLE (had good form but not a top team yet)
Wasps who are not playing well at all
Worcester in religation battle.

Non of them true tests of a champion team.

We loat to Gloucester and Leicester. Tigers we the first tough test and we are only second because we have beaten the bottom teams. My fear is if these 'easy' games where dotted through the season you could rest players but as it stands we have hard game after hard game amd then europe on top, so resting players will be a risk.

We need LCD nowell devoto and ewers back

Looking forward to seeing more of armand waldrom simmonds though:) with ewers on the bench. Alot of power there

We need to improve tbh and put in constant performances because the end of last season we got win after win and consistantly had a good game then the subs making a real impact.

Next games

Sale away
Sarries home

Both will be tough game im predicting 1 win 1 loss 1try bp 1 losing bp

I agree we need to improve but I'm more positive. We've got bonus points in every game.

We still have the advantage of not losing a load of players during internationals that really helped last year. We're playing Quins and sarries during autumn internationals which should give us some advantages.

Call up fpr slade and simmonds now vs argentina (curry wrist injury, hopfully minor)
Second in the prem, won all games in europ, dominant performance in the AW cup. Its all coming up chiefs.

Devoto and sam hill both playing in AW cup last week so to have them back in the AP again just intime to play quins with a banned front row and no care/brown and yarde too.

Then a sarries missing a few to england and wales.

We are only missing slade williams and obv nowell but its looking good, now we just need to capitalise and intergrate Devoto and hill :)

Come on guys keep this thread alive.

Great resolve shown in coming back from poor start yesterday, dominating the second half and well worth the win. Thought Kvesic showed up well.
With LCD, Ewers and Nowell all possibly getting a run out next week, just in time for the Leinster games, its going to be an exciting few weeks .

Great resolve shown in coming back from poor start yesterday, dominating the second half and well worth the win. Thought Kvesic showed up well.
With LCD, Ewers and Nowell all possibly getting a run out next week, just in time for the Leinster games, its going to be an exciting few weeks .

I bumped into Jack on Saturday, apparently he'll be back in "a week or two".

Chiefs 40
Glous 32
Sarries 30 (prob 35 tomorrow)
Bath 30
Wasps 29
Leicester 28.

Least 10 points ahead of bath wasps tigers. With a failing saints coming up, this should be at 45 for mid point of the season.

Its a great place to be. Sarries falling in an international window was abit of luck but still we want to be in a place to be top 2 pulling away while the others trip each other up on 3rd 4th 5th.

Great display from the Chiefs boys today; Simmonds in particular with his 2 tries and what, 23 tackles?
Nowell too was a danger every time he got the ball and Williams' clear outs were next level. Hepburn didn't really do anything but then again, he was only on for 8 minutes.

Anyway, after some major changes in form this season I'd like to present this as being our revised 1st choice team:
1. Hepburn
2. LCD
3. Williams
4. Skinner
5. Hill
6. Armand
7. Simmonds
8. Ewers
9. White
10. Steenson
11. Woodburn
12. Hill
13. Slade
14. Nowell
15. Cordero

16. Yeandle
17. Moon
18. Francis
19. Lees
20. Kvesic
21. Chudley
22. Simmonds Mk. II
23. Devoto

Would love to see Nowell moved to 13 but with our centre options I just can't see it happening.

And also 80 metres made from simmonds. Agree with your team but i wamt maunder to come through on the bench.
Corder at FB, i seen his highlights but i dont know much about the guy.

Great display from the Chiefs boys today; Simmonds in particular with his 2 tries and what, 23 tackles?
Nowell too was a danger every time he got the ball and Williams' clear outs were next level. Hepburn didn't really do anything but then again, he was only on for 8 minutes.

Anyway, after some major changes in form this season I'd like to present this as being our revised 1st choice team:
1. Hepburn
2. LCD
3. Williams
4. Skinner
5. Hill
6. Armand
7. Simmonds
8. Ewers
9. White
10. Steenson
11. Woodburn
12. Hill
13. Slade
14. Nowell
15. Cordero

16. Yeandle
17. Moon
18. Francis
19. Lees
20. Kvesic
21. Chudley
22. Simmonds Mk. II
23. Devoto

Would love to see Nowell moved to 13 but with our centre options I just can't see it happening.
Hell of an England team but I'm not sure Nic White is eligible...

Hell of an England team but I'm not sure Nic White is eligible...

Maunder is lol just bang him im he's got more caps than vellacott and robson haha jk but it shows englands lack of experienced SH at internation level

1. Hepburn
2. LCD
3. Williams
4. Skinner
5. Hill
6. Armand
7. Simmonds
8. Ewers
9. White
10. Steenson
11. Woodburn
12. Hill
13. Slade
14. Nowell
15. Cordero

16. Yeandle
17. Moon
18. Francis
19. Lees
20. Kvesic
21. Chudley
22. Simmonds Mk. II
23. Devoto

With LCD being brought back into the England squad ,EJ is slowly coming to terms that this will be his entire pack for the World Cup. Armand next.

Whats going on with the chiefs? 3 losses on the bounce, 2 of which should have been relatively straight forward amd even wasps were underpowered. I know we were missing hepburn(first 2) williams simmonds slade and nowell and white( for wasps) but the backline we had was still strong and so was the pack.

Uncharacteristic mistakes/ woodburn looking out of form, ewers not punching as many holes as before. We could still be at least 8 points ahead right now

What is the issues/fixes?

Baxter taking off LCD straight after a try was stupid to bring on a prem debut...

There is but you look at the squad who played worcester, had armand woodburn hill devoto steeno white LCD and even the likes of hill lees ewers. Pretty much all of them bar one have been in the chiefs squad and know the systems, we should be smashing worcester even missing a few IMO

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see the stats, but my guess is that the biggest let down for Exeter is the performance of their wingers with Woodburn being off form and Cordero being new to the system (and lacking the physical attributes to be an Exeter winger).

Malton and Yeandle are injured. I reckon it made sense to try and pack LCD in cotton wool.
I get that put play the momentum, we were asking questions, he obv didnt want to come off and he could have made the difference, new guy missed 2 lineouts and got us back on the back foot. I take your point but i dont agree, he could get injured first min of the next game and we gave up chance of the win. We should be beat falcons, worcester and saints in current form . Wasps should push hard and go either way. Its why i like EJ he will take someone off at 20 min if they arnt working or leave someone on for 80 if its the best for that game.

Chudley signed by bath, have we got nic white next season? Really hope maunder resurfaces tbh

Latest posts