• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Exile teams

Mafi could be added to that list. I know he was born in Tonga but played underage and 7's for New Zealand

Is Isa Nacewa from NZ or Fiji? I know he played S14 but for some reason see him as Fijian. If he is NZ then he is a big omission from these lists. I don't think SA has such a huge number of players. Sure there are a few decent players but not a whole squad that could compete for a Bok berth (although I would welcome some of them in the places of the dead wood we are currently carrying).

From NZ, but got a cap for Fiji through heritage (though it was only off the bench for a few minutes - he tried to get it struck off so he could play for NZ but couldn't get it done)

Nacewa is a big loss to International rugby. Played just a few mins but won't play for Fiji now but without a doubt he was good enough to earn an All Black cap

Jeez, bad luck. Pity he doesn't want to play for Fiji/ they don't want him anymore.

For SA, from the top of my head:

Daan Human
Schalk Brits
Brian Mujati
Pedrie Vannenburg
Johan Muller
Gerhard Vosloo
Joe Van Niekerk
Shawn Sowerby
Ruan Pienaar
Butch James
San Gerber
Frans Steyn
Marius Joubert
Brent Russell
Gavin Hume (more a center)

There are probably others in the UK...

Last edited:
Doesn't want to. Fiji told him that playing for them wouldn't bind him, he could still be an All Black - which is obviously false, and he blames them for him not being an All Black. I remember there being some talk of him relenting, but nothing came of it.

A Scots team I think might actually beat a Scots in Scotland team...

Feicarsinn, John Andress and Calum Black as sub props for your team. Reserve scrum-half, Cushion at Plymouth in the championship is from Leinster (we were rumoured to be looking at him last year).

English hooker abroad... Hugo Ellis, Dragqueens. Loosehead... erm... ahh... ****.

For SA:

Daan Human
Schalk Brits
Brian Mujati
Pedrie Vannenburg
Johan Muller
Gerhard Vosloo
Joe Van Niekerk
Shawn Sowerby
Ruan Pienaar
Butch James
San Gerber
Frans Steyn
Marius Joubert
?
?

There are probably others in the UK...

BJ Botha, Wian du Preez, Regardt Dreyer, Shaun Ruwers, Deon Carstens, Faan Rautenbach, Petrus du Plessis, Dylan Rogers, Heinke van der Merwe, Ethienne Reynecke, Richardt Strauss, Mouritz Botha, Marco Wentzel, Justin Melck, Andries Pretorius, Luke Watson, Robbie Diack, Scott Mathie, Neil de Kock, Michael Claassens, Stuart Commins, Derick Hougaard, Gcobani Bobo, Errie Claassens

Doesn't want to. Fiji told him that playing for them wouldn't bind him, he could still be an All Black - which is obviously false, and he blames them for him not being an All Black. I remember there being some talk of him relenting, but nothing came of it.

A Scots team I think might actually beat a Scots in Scotland team...

Feicarsinn, John Andress and Calum Black as sub props for your team. Reserve scrum-half, Cushion at Plymouth in the championship is from Leinster (we were rumoured to be looking at him last year).

English hooker abroad... Hugo Ellis, Dragqueens. Loosehead... erm... ahh... ****.

Arthur Ellis ;)

Last edited:

Source? I call bullshit. If playing for a team in a World cup does not bind you, what does.
Acutally he dosen't want them is they situation I'm sue they would be glad to have him.

No they don't want him as they feel he is a traitor. He will never play for Fiji again.

Oh I though that he said didn't want to might be both sounds like a lot of bad blood between them.

Its what I've been told on quite a few forums. True? I don't know. But what is certain is he tried to get his eligibility changed again and he has turned down Fijian call-ups since then - although he did say he'd be available for the World Cup.

Cymro, yeah, realised I'd made that mistake! Ah well.

Remember some news he was keen to play for Fiji in 2007 WC. Did he then retract saying that?

Source? I call bullshit. If playing for a team in a World cup does not bind you, what does.

Thats the story he gave when trying to petition for All Black eligibility. You can kind of understand his veiwpoint if hes a bit dim. He grows up seeing Frank Bunce go to the World Cup with Samoa and use that as a springboard into the All Blacks; He tries to emulate that and then finds out the rules have changed.

Thats the story he gave when trying to petition for All Black eligibility. You can kind of understand his veiwpoint if hes a bit dim. He grows up seeing Frank Bunce go to the World Cup with Samoa and use that as a springboard into the All Blacks; He tries to emulate that and then finds out the rules have changed.

How many games would he have really played for the All Blacks? Would he have ended up like Regan King, Casey Laulala etc?

I think he would have more then a handfull of caps but they have stiff compition in the back so you never know.

How many games would he have really played for the All Blacks? Would he have ended up like Regan King, Casey Laulala etc?

Yeah i doubt there was much chance of him becoming a consistant selection. The way he spoke though you could tell it was a personal thing that he just really wanted to be an All Black, even if it was a single cap. He comes from Auckland Grammar where the pride of making the ABs is really drummed into you. (Regan King was self inflicted though i must say, he just took off mysteriously when he was very much in the equation)

According to this: http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/nacewa-...-hopes-3088557
He wants to play in the WC, but that's from 2009 so who knows, he hasn't featured for Fiji since then, so might not be on the radar (or just might not want to)

I cant see it happening.. even if he wanted to and they wanted him back, how incredibly awkward would that be? Its like dropping your girlfriend to chase after a better looking girl, then getting rejected and trying to slink back and pretend nothing happened.

Agreed - and it's a slap in the face to any Fijian wings/fullbacks who have wanted to play for them for their entire lives, to have someone who doesn't give a damn just walk in to the team (even if he is incredibly talented etc.etc.)

I cant see it happening.. even if he wanted to and they wanted him back, how incredibly awkward would that be? Its like dropping your girlfriend to chase after a better looking girl, then getting rejected and trying to slink back and pretend nothing happened.

Surprisingly succesful as a strategy in general. I wouldn't be at all surprise if Nacewa came back into the fold for the World Cup. It might be awkward, it might be ill-advised, but not many coaches would overlook a player of Nacewa's quality.

Latest posts